Best way to remove phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltydog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious, what is the best way to remove phosphate?

I have a planted 46g tank. Occasionally I have algae problems (just the kind that grows on the rocks and glass)...I suspect phosphates.

If I confirm I have excess phosphates, what can I do to remove?

Thanks...

water changes.

when it comes to algae in the planted tank, we need to know the following:

tank size: 46gal
lighting:
CO2 injection:
nitrates:
phosphates:
fertilizer dosing routine:

it could very well be phosphates...but that may be due to not having enough nitrates. You want at least a 10:1 ratio of nitrates to phosphates (in ppm or mg/L). some people go all the way to 20:1. So you might have 2ppm phosphates, which could be fine as long as you have around 20ppm nitrate. If nitrate has dropped to 0ppm, you'll see a fast algae bloom.

I'm going to move this to the planted section, as you'll get more information there.

Okay some more info:

Lighting: CF 96 watt Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k - on for 8.5 hours/day
CO2: currently dosing with SeaChem Excel - one capful every other day
Nitrates: just tested, looks like 10-15 ppm
Fertilizer: dosing with SeaChem Flourish 2 times a week

As for phosphates, I only have some refill DRY-TAB from Aquarium Pharmaceutical (which I bought by accident) and I don't have instructions or the color chart. Some help here would be greatly appreciated!

so essentially you over 2wpg, and lack enough carbon, and no idea what your phosphates are.

Well, I'd buy a new phosphate test kit (I prefer SeaChem) and see what your levels are at. I'd also either add DIY CO2 in addition to Excel, or look into pressurized CO2.
1capful every other day doesn't seem like much at all. Granted you don't want to overdose Excel, but I don't think you're dosing quite enough.

Nitrates seem fine, provided you have about 1ppm phosphate...and my guess is you're well above that, but we need the test to confirm.

Once you get your phosphate test kit test your tap water as well. If it is not in your tap water then you'll have a much easier time removing it. Many fish foods will raise phosphate, for sure.

Update: I went to 3 LFS and neither had a phosphate test kit. So it looks like I'm ordering online.

I had been looking at a DIY pressurized system. I have read several articles on it and am ready to take the plunge.

When I manage to get a phosphate test kit, I'll report my findings back here.

workfortheman said:
Isn't one CAUSE of high phosphates over-feeding?
Yep, and some food brands contribute to this more than others.

drsfostersmith.com should have that Seachem kit for $10, but the shipping charge kinda bites, so look and see if you need anything else while you're there.

Update: I finally got my SeaChem test kit. I just did the test and it looks like I have .1 mg/L phosphate.

I have purchased some RO water (in lieu of getting a RO unit) and when I do my next WC / gravel clean, I will put the RO water in. I also have some SeaChem Equilibrium to add to the RO water.

Phosphate is a macro-nutrient, and you should maintain more than 0.1 ppm (mg/L) for healthy plants. Malkore gave N : P target ratios earlier in this thread and has a sticky on macros and micros in this forum. Seachem has a phosphate product, but dry KH2PO4 is cheaper. RO is unnecessary.

If the algae on rocks and glass is green spot, dosing phosphate will likely help limit it.

saltydog said:
Okay some more info:

As for phosphates, I only have some refill DRY-TAB from Aquarium Pharmaceutical (which I bought by accident) and I don't have instructions or the color chart. Some help here would be greatly appreciated!

I was re-reading the thread and realized that the "Some help here" could have gone over badly. I meant to say "Some help with the DRY-TAB chart", not that I was not getting any help.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't anger anyone accidentally.

Thanks for all the info from all the posters!

Back
Top Bottom