betta and filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katym27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small betta tank I keep at work ( 1 1/2 gallons). I also have an apple snail in there. I have read that bettas don't like a filter, so I don't have it hooked up, but it'd be nice not to have to clean it out so often. Is it ok to have a filter? Thanks :n00b:

Oh for sure, if you have one already id hook up the filter. The betta won't have any problems with it and it'll save you tons of time cleaning out the tank. ps. nice to see you don't have the betta in a little bowl, much better in a small tank like you currently have. Good Luck!

For sure. Every fish should have a filter, no matter what size of the tank :)Have you considered a sponge filter ?

If you want some kind of power filter, I would suggest to cover the filter intake with a sponge (To prevent the bettas fins getting caught and rip) and adjust the flow to make it slow and soft (This can be done by putting a sponge in the filter where the water comes out)

Your Betta will be ok with it. It might take him/her some time to get used to it, but it'll do fine.

I at first feared the same for my Betta, but now I see him swim against the filter's outflow current for fun.

If the outflow is simply too strong you can always mod the filter's outflow to be slower.

I would get something to decrease the water flow. I used plastic craft mesh from Walmart to cut a little piece, and tied it in front of the flow with fishing line.
The betta can possibly die from exhaustion trying to keep up with the filter flow. Imagine being in the gusty wind with a small parachute, the bettas fins kind of act the same way. :(
Do you have a heater in there?

Please think about getting a bigger tank. The snail itself needs a minimum of 2.5 gallons.

thanks for your help everyone! I am actually taking the apple snail home to the 30 gal today, the betta keeps harassing him. The filter I have for the tank is a small whisper filter, I used it at first then read that it wasn't good for them. I appreciate all the input!

also I don't have a heater in there. I put fairly warm water in there and I change it once a week, should I have one?

katym27 said:
also I don't have a heater in there. I put fairly warm water in there and I change it once a week, should I have one?

No it shouldn't be necessary to get a heater in there unless you find that the water gets extremely cold during the night. If not then the betta will be just fine without one :)

Bettas need to be in at least 80* water, or you are going to be dealing with a sluggish fish, fin rot and a host of other problems.
I have the small Whisper filters in with 3 of my 4 bettas. I had to get plastic craft mesh to slow the flow down.

betta and filter

I have 5.6 gall tank which is cycling at the moment in anticipation of a betta to come. My filter is a Hailea HL-BT200 internal filter which works well but I would also like to control flow. I'm nervous about stuffing something in the outflow or putting something over the intake in case the motor burns out, it blows up, or something. Reassure me that that won't happen and the above suggestions can work for my filter too! The tank is planted.

Betta and filter

It is a power filter, small for small tank - inside tank on 3 suckers, sponge and activated carbon inside. Options of air hose (tiny) and spray arm. Small and easy to use for a beginner. Intake grill at bottom, outlet spout at top, just below surface.

I might try pantyhose over the intake. Will check flow when fish arrives.

I have one in my little female's tank. If you put the arm on, then the current is perfectly fine. Without it, it's a bit too strong, at least for her.

betta and filter

Thanks. That corresponds with the advice I received from my LFS today. Will advise how goes when get fish. Must return to "I know what you did last summer" on TV after a hard hot day of fish research. I know I'm too old for this movie (my teenage son left in disgust) but it is a stinking humid 30+ degrees centrigrade here tonight and seems appropriate somehow - must be the only place in Australia that has had no rain all this summer. Rest of our country is under water at the moment no joke.

Filter arm on now in proposed betta tank with agisted neons - all happy, huge difference in flow. Back to 20 gall high tank now to sort out population. Just getting conditions right for dwarf gourami. That arm will go on too, but I've been ratting around in there too much lately, rearranging the furniture and the weeds. Just could not get it lookin' right!

Back
Top Bottom