Betta breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rcguerra said:
Thank you. The most difficult part is yet to come...surviving the first week.

I guess I'm out of the woods so to speak. Mine are a bit over a week old now. I think a big part of my success has been the ton of plants I have in my spawning tank.

I guess I'm out of the woods so to speak. Mine are a bit over a week old now. I think a big part of my success has been the ton of plants I have in my spawning tank.

seeing any colors?? or are they too small? I am happy for ya! I am setting up breeder right now...I will float some Hornwort for them

Still too small. Definitely tiny. I have Anacharis and cabomba in mine. Plus some Indian almond leaves at the bottom. I feed microworms a couple times a day and do tiny water changes with a turkey baster and aged dechlorinated water every couple days.

I have a lovely Betta male, hes in a large tank with 18 other fishes including, swordtails, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, mollies, guppies, a red clawed crab.

He is a great character and is consistantly making a bubble nest (the water current is quite strong and so his spit bubbles always blow around the top of the tank) I did move him into a 12l tank of his own with very low current of water flow and his bubble nest stuck beautifully to the side but sadly I am yet to find a female for him. Female Bettas (or Siamese Fighting Fish as they are mostly known by in here the UK) are very hard to find... just like female guppies to be honest.

I am now facing the first tiny things falling feom the bubble nest. Some with movement, some just out of the shell, still folded in half. Father is doing a great job bringing them back up. Tomorrow I might have free swimmers.

Last edited:
No free swimmers yet, but here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• image-173484079.jpg
    image-173484079.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 78
Rcguerra said:
No free swimmers yet, but here is what I have so far.

Awesome! You ended up with way more than I did. The mother was bad about snacking in between embraces in my case.

48 hours after first hatch, no free swimmers yet.

Attachments

• image-3470088448.jpg
    image-3470088448.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 84
Speaking of the babies, anybody know what their coloring would turn out to be?

Beau (male) & Narwal (female) are the parents.

Beau is shiny blue and green with red ventrals and some red in his tail, and Narwal is shiny copper with red fins.

Those are two beautiful fish

Those are two beautiful fish

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I lost Beau yesterday. :( Hopefully the 6 of his 3 week old babies will make it to live out his legacy.

The upside to yesterday is that I found two awesome tanks with hoods and lights, used, for $45! He said the one was a 29 gallon and that the other was a 20 gallon. Well, I already have a 29 gallon, and the one I just got is bigger!

Anyways, I'm just excited as now I can have one large community tank, two breeding tanks, and 2 grow out tanks!

I can't wait to set them all up once I get back from my trip this week.

Still waiting on the sponge filters I ordered from my LFS. Just as we'll anyways, as I will probably need to order two more for the new tanks.

This is sad. How did you lose Beau? Docyou think it is related to the after breeding somehow?

I am sorry to hear that....I lost Rommel today as well...I will miss him. What ever it was took him fast as he did not miss morning or evening feeding....:( But tonight I got my breeder up and going and Cheech and Rita are in it right now. Cheech is busy showing off and Rita is following him around...might get something this time. Rita is definitely interested. And Cheech isn't chasing her yet just flaring and swimming for her. We will see

FINALLY received that sponge filter I ordered...

Okay, so it floats... And it's quite turbulent.

My solution? Clay pot. So far it keeps it kinda stable, but is still turbulent.

Suggestions? These poor month old fry are probably like WTF?!?!!

Attachments

• image-1349813243.jpg
    image-1349813243.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 76
This is sad. How did you lose Beau? Docyou think it is related to the after breeding somehow?

Naw I don't think it was from breeding at all. It had been three weeks since he spawned.

Today while at my LFS I took a look around for another green or blue male but they didn't have any. However, I spotted this gem.

Named him Monarch. :)

I have between 8-10 fry of Beaus that are now a month old. Maybe, juuust maybe, I'll get a few blue/green boys to keep his line going. :)

Attachments

• image-429110249.jpg
    image-429110249.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-852426610.jpg
    image-852426610.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3264829043.jpg
    image-3264829043.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 69
My breding tank reach day 11.

Attachments