betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Athaocity said:
about the heater question. bettas are labriynth fish which they have breathing apparatus. it allows the fish to breath air from the surface. reason so is because where they are originally from, the temperature gets pretty hot, in very high temperatures, theres no air(water becomes low in oxygen), thats why they breath (have the ability) to breath air from the surface. a temperature is needed, but does not mean you crank up the heat.

What are some fish that get along with betta fish that I would be able to put in the tank together?

I haven't read through all the posts to see if you mentioned how big your tank is or not. Some bettas do good in community tanks and some don't. I would suggest 1 male betta. And to answer your question, you don't really want anything that has long flowing fins like a betta does. Although mine is doing just fine with 4 angels I'm not gonna say it'll work for you

aaronjohn20 said:
I haven't read through all the posts to see if you mentioned how big your tank is or not. Some bettas do good in community tanks and some don't. I would suggest 1 male betta. And to answer your question, you don't really want anything that has long flowing fins like a betta does. Although mine is doing just fine with 4 angels I'm not gonna say it'll work for you

I have a 6g tank. Do you think I'd be able to keep 1 male betta and maybe 6 tetras

harryggumb said:
I have a 6g tank. Do you think I'd be able to keep 1 male betta and maybe 6 tetras

Sorry but I would say maybe 10-20 gallons for that set up, even risky with a 10 gallon. Since a 5 gallon is really meant for 1 Betta, I would recommend ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. You could also get a bamboo shrimp. They are really cool!

harryggumb said:
What are some fish that get along with betta fish that I would be able to put in the tank together?

cant be exact on who can be, but two types that cannot be w/ bettas are gouramis and tiger barbs. there should be fish compatability charts around google. thats a general rule of thumb.

maddybrat said:
My personal favorite are half moon double tail males:) they are so pretty:)

That's exactly what I want!!! How long should I let it cycle before I introduce the fish?!

Athaocity said:
cant be exact on who can be, but two types that cannot be w/ bettas are gouramis and tiger barbs. there should be fish compatability charts around google. thats a general rule of thumb.

Thank you I'm going to look for the charts!!

That's exactly what I want!!! How long should I let it cycle before I introduce the fish?!

Cycle the tank until ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates have risen. Do some research on fish-less cycling. I know there's a very good article on here somewhere. We can't teach you everything. Part of fish keeping is doing your own research.

You won't be able to keep any other fish in a six gallon. Just the betta will be fine on its own, with maybe a couple of black mystery or gold inca snails. Those are my personal favorites. Unless you plan on keeping live plants, they eat plants. You might be able to get some ghost shrimp, but you'll need the shrimp substrate and the betta mind find them as a snack.

Bettafanatic said:
Cycle the tank until ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates have risen. Do some research on fish-less cycling. I know there's a very good article on here somewhere. We can't teach you everything. Part of fish keeping is doing your own research.

You won't be able to keep any other fish in a six gallon. Just the betta will be fine on its own, with maybe a couple of black mystery or gold inca snails. Those are my personal favorites. Unless you plan on keeping live plants, they eat plants. You might be able to get some ghost shrimp, but you'll need the shrimp substrate and the betta mind find them as a snack.

Amina and nitrites are zero but water has only been in for a day?? Do I wait?

Bettafanatic said:

Ammonia and nitrites are both 0 but water has only been in for 1 day??? Is that normal? Should I wait longer?

You have to dose ammonia. Use clear liquid ammonia or raw shrimp, then the cycle will begin. In such a small tank, only use a little to get to 4 ppm

You really should do some research on fishless cycling. It doesn't seem you've done any

Bettafanatic said:
You have to dose ammonia. Use clear liquid ammonia or raw shrimp, then the cycle will begin. In such a small tank, only use a little to get to 4 ppm

You really should do some research on fishless cycling. It doesn't seem you've done any

I've done research but I wasn't sure if I actually needy to cycle for a betta bc I've heard that they are good with the cycling process

harryggumb said:
I've done research but I wasn't sure if I actually needy to cycle for a betta bc I've heard that they are good with the cycling process

No, I would cycle a tank no matter what. You would have to do 2 water changes a day. Maybe 40% of each. I don't think bettas are even hardy.

You can certainly do a fish in cycle with your betta. Nothing wrong with that a long as you test the water daily. 2x 40% on a 6g with just a betta every single day would be excessive IMHO. You coul probably get away with 50% every 2-3 days but that depends in the water test results. Ideally you want to keep ammonia and nitrite to a minimum during the cycling process to protect the fish from gill burns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom