Betta friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - good info. I wouldn't mix bettas.

With black gravel some brightly colored shrimp would look great in there. Question is...will they become betta snacks? Before investing in some pretty shrimp, I would test out your bettas with some cheap ghost shrimp. There are some really pretty apple/mystery snails out there in shades of purple, fuscia, gold, blue, and ivory that would look pretty in there as well. Also to be tried with caution though. Some bettas can't resist to pester a big ol' snail. :)

Well i have a snail with one of my bettas, and he is just curious about him, i have seen him nip at him once but i think he was nipping at the algae wafer he was eating. He has a great/silly personality. I had been told before that schooling fish could be in the ten gallons with the bettas and thats why i got two ten gallon tanks haha. But i am happy they are out of the cups. I had some ghost shrimp in my 29 gallon but they got eaten by my goldfish. So do you think danios might work?

No, I'm definitely against that. They need a 29 gal, or a lightly stocked 20 long can work. They get pretty big and are super active. A 10 just does not provide enough space for them. There are a couple other schoolers that work good in 10 gals like micro rasbora and celestial pearl danios, but I think they may be a bit too small and timid to mix with a betta. Maybe your lfs can order ember tetras for you. There's often all kinds of fish they can order for you that they don't typically stock in the shop. And you should give it another go with neons. :) If your tank is cycled and you acclimate them slowly, they should do well. I've had terrible luck with them from Petco, I must say, but the ones from my mom & pop lfs do great.

I'm all for mom and pop shops, unfortunately all we have is a petsmart. I will start out with some shrimp, maybe try neons again. I really appreciate all your help, thank you very much.

Oh I see. I don't have a Petsmart but I wouldn't be surprised if their neons are just as bad as my Petcos are. :( Well hopefully you can order online sometime. That will really open up some options for you!

No prob..happy to help. :)

yea like i said i bought four and by day three all dead. I used to work for petsmart and might again soon. I would like to order online im just scared of the fish dying once it gets here. At least petsmart has a 14 day guarantee. Their selection just isn't the best.

Back
Top Bottom