betta home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is a 2.5 gallon bowl with a sponge filter and a heater a good home for a betta? Is a sponge filter enough filtration? is it too small for a betta to be happy?

I have 2 Betas and I don't have a filter for either one of them. I would try and get a bigger bowl. Can it swim in a straight line with out curving its body. If it can its a big enough bowl.

I wouldn't recommend a bowl as the aeration is less then adequate. It might work, but you must keep the water changes:) If not, you can get a 3gallon, very cheap:)
Betta's aren't dirty fish, so a sponge filtration is enough.

Well it's not exactly a bowl, it's basically a gigantic margarita glass. I don't know if that makes a difference though.

It sounds fine to me you've got a heater and a filter and 2.5 gallons is plenty of space IMO. As long as you keep up with water changes it should be good.

How often should i change the water assuming none of the parameters are high? Is 50% weekly good enough like i do in all my other tanks?

How often should i change the water assuming none of the parameters are high? Is 50% weekly good enough like i do in all my other tanks?
Yes. That should be good. Try testing you're parameters bi-weekly, and evaluate then if you need to change the water more often.

I have a male Dragonscale in a 2.5g tank. I don't have a filter on it so I do 2 water changes of about 80% twice a week with a 100% change every 3rd or 4th water change. It is difficult to cycle that small volume of water & I'd rather not take up more room in that space with a filter. Many people use filters for that size I choose not to. With the "bowl" you have a heater may be difficult but you need to have one, preferably an adjustable one.

My heater isn't adjustable but it's staying constant at 78 degrees

Good. Some of the non-adjustable heaters aren't good at keeping a steady temp & will drop considerably with the room temp. Also, you should be aware that Bettas can & will jump sometimes if your margarita glass doesn't have a top you might want to look into one. I've used Seran wrap with holes before.

Also i have betta pellets, and several different frozen foods. What's best for bettas and how much and how often should i feed him?

Also i have betta pellets, and several different frozen foods. What's best for bettas and how much and how often should i feed him?
It depends on the type of pellet. I have concentrated pellets, and it recommends not to feed more then 3 times a day. That's the average feeding.
What frozen foods do you have?

Bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp for my guppy fry, and freshwater frenzy which has bloodworms, brine sheep, Cyclops, Daphnia, watercress, spirulina algae and more.

Back
Top Bottom