Betta in with other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I experimented with my beta in a 10 gal with some neons and gold tetras. He decided at first he did not like them whatsoever and would chase them furiously if they got too close to him, esp. at night he would attack them while the neons slept. After a few days this behavior subsided and all was well...at least until about another week later I observed that my betta was being nipped at my the neons and his tail was beginning to take substanital damage...suffice to say they do not live together anymore

While I can't speak to those fish in particular, I can say that the you have to also consider the other side of the coin... fish that attack or nip bettas.

Bettas are generally slow moving fish with huge tails. Lots of other fish like to nip at those long flowing tails.

So not only do you have to consider if your fish are safe from the betta, but is the betta safe from your fish.

Hears a link to an article from a forum specializing in bettas
Betta Tankmates - UltimateBettas

As a quick summary, the only fish specifically listed as "Unacceptable" are:
Fancy Guppies,
Gouramis,
Cichlids,
Mollies,
Platys,
Swordtails,
Chinese Algae Eaters,
Common Pleco,
Goldfish,
other Bettas (with possible exception of a sorority tank).

I have a male betta in with gouramis, also with bala shark and angels, widows, congos and BN with no drama at all
my other fish are huge and they dont even go near him
so i am going to say that it depends on a few things
tank size, and how the community fish act together, not by what they are suppose to be like,

thats my 2 cents worth

I've decided not to put my betta in with the guppies.. I'm just gonna keep him happy in his bowl. Might go get a Mollie or two to break up the monotony.

Good idea I think with the betta. Kait one of your guppies with the orange stripe and red fan kind of looks like it might be an orange sunshine guppy. I cant ID the others.

Thanks. I'm not too concerned with ID'ing them now, I'm happy with whatever I've got. They keep me amused and don't require nightly walks in the freezing cold lol.

My LFS has a one male betta in a tank of guppies, another one in a tank of swordtails, and another in a tank of platys. I was kind of shocked when I saw that and asked if the bettas picked on the other fish. They said no, and that really about the only fish you can't put a betta in with are the ones that will kill it, like cichlids. I want to get an almost black or bright red betta and put it in with some sort of small white or black community fish.

My LFS has a one male betta in a tank of guppies, another one in a tank of swordtails, and another in a tank of platys. I was kind of shocked when I saw that and asked if the bettas picked on the other fish. They said no, and that really about the only fish you can't put a betta in with are the ones that will kill it, like cichlids. I want to get an almost black or bright red betta and put it in with some sort of small white or black community fish.
i'm thinking of giving away my black crowntail. where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom