Betta lost more fin since last month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) I just want him to live out his natural life with the best care possible. I don't want to cut it short because of something foolish I did in the past and have since changed.

:) I just want him to live out his natural life with the best care possible. I don't want to cut it short because of something foolish I did in the past and have since changed.

I wouldn't worry. Once you get his water under control he'll have a good life. I'd still have my last betta if he didn't get cancer :/ but that was just random chance. I would even try a plant but I don't know how good you are with them. We all know how bad I am lol.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:)

I just feel like I have enough going on to deal with a plant lol but if it will help :) I'm sure the fish would love it too!

I'm sorry about your betta getting cancer :( that's awful.

:)

I just feel like I have enough going on to deal with a plant lol but if it will help :) I'm sure the fish would love it too!

They do! Plant care is simple but not easy if that makes sense.

the one that says secure download, is when he was brand new. Bubbles2 was probably after he was in his 2g tank about a week.

Before first salt is him before we first put him back into the 2g. He was in his 10g.

Ok they went in a weird order. First pic, brand new bubbles.

2nd pic, before we first treated him with salt.

Last pic, we'd had him about a week. He posed for me :D

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30
  • bubbles2.jpg
    bubbles2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 20
  • beforefirstsalt1.jpg
    beforefirstsalt1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
the one that says secure download, is when he was brand new. Bubbles2 was probably after he was in his 2g tank about a week.

Before first salt is him before we first put him back into the 2g. He was in his 10g.

Ok they went in a weird order. First pic, brand new bubbles.

2nd pic, before we first treated him with salt.

Last pic, we'd had him about a week. He posed for me :D

Posing indeed! I don't see anything growing on him. Just looks like a burn. A little frayed but that's easily fixed.

he loves to pose :) ok next pictures now. I am having a hard time with technology today! stupid email wouldn't open up forever and then took forever to save the pics ugh. Then I cropped & resized them a bit for spaces sake.

he loves to pose :) ok next pictures now. I am having a hard time with technology today! stupid email wouldn't open up forever and then took forever to save the pics ugh. Then I cropped & resized them a bit for spaces sake.

You're not the only one!

Ok first pic. That is shortly before starting him on salt the second time or shortly after stopping the first time.

Second pic, that was during or after the 2nd salt treatment.

Third pic, before the tail split. Before or during 2nd treatment.

Fourth pic, that was him yesterday. Sorry the picture is so crappy, the lighting wasn't good. But you can see how much the tail has reduced.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 30
I guess i have learned something, that is worth my time coming here trying to help you! Bacteria can make a tail rot as well, but with my guppies, its always fungus that sets in after being nipped....... methylene always makes it come back, and also with my fancy goldfish.
I guess I usually treat for both at the same time, so who knows which one it was?
Im not admiting im wrong, but im acknolaging that maybe tail rot is sometimes bacteria too.
I cant ever figure this one out honestly, they both look the same and are caused by poor water quality, and the only way to really tell is look at it under a microscope, so i just treat for both with those two medicines and it always works 100% of the time. I dont every fail at curing it. Maybe i got too biased based on how well those two drugs (oxytetracycline and methylene blue) work together, its an amazing combination for any type of disease bacterial/fungal in nature.

Ok first pic. That is shortly before starting him on salt the second time or shortly after stopping the first time.

Second pic, that was during or after the 2nd salt treatment.

Third pic, before the tail split. Before or during 2nd treatment.

Fourth pic, that was him yesterday. Sorry the picture is so crappy, the lighting wasn't good. But you can see how much the tail has reduced.

It's not as bad as I thought. He's joined the ribbon tail club! Another poster on here said it best: bettas are sometimes all fins and no brains. It looks like a burn plus a run in with gravel. He'll be okay. It just looks a like a scary mess lol.

If I had not mentioned it before. We bought him in very early June. We've had him about 4 months today.

Ok started the first salt later than I thought. The ammonia was staying around or halfway to .25 ppm for a little while (a week or two according to my notes on my calendar) despite water changes and stuff. So then he went to salt.

First salt treatment (breakout out the calendar now) ok I should have written better notes. August 3 began, Aug 10 ended. 1/2 tsp then after a few days, 1 tsp per gallon.

Second salt. Began Aug 26. Ended Sept 3rd. 1 1/2 tsp to start per gallon, then after 3 days, 2 tsp per gallon.

Ever since, meticulous water changes.

I guess i have learned something, that is worth my time coming here trying to help you! Bacteria can make a tail rot as well, but with my guppies, its always fungus that sets in after being nipped....... methylene always makes it come back, and also with my fancy goldfish.
I guess I usually treat for both at the same time, so who knows which one it was?
Im not admiting im wrong, but im acknolaging that maybe tail rot is sometimes bacteria too.
I cant ever figure this one out honestly, they both look the same and are caused by poor water quality, and the only way to really tell is look at it under a microscope, so i just treat for both with those two medicines and it always works 100% of the time. I dont every fail at curing it. Maybe i got too biased based on how well those two drugs (oxytetracycline and methylene blue) work together, its an amazing combination for any type of disease bacterial/fungal in nature.

It's okay. I just prefer to save very powerful meds for severe infections. In this case it's just a burn and a losing argument against the gravel. Bettas can be a little too brave sometimes. I'm watching my current one trying to swim into his bubbling dragon. Cute little ditz. Same with goldfish.

I am not doubting that those medicines work, I just don't want to do overkill if it is not necessary. Of course without a microscope, hard to know if it is necessary.

Thank you again for being patient and listening & helping :) I won't rule out using those, but only want to do it as a last resort.

It's not as bad as I thought. He's joined the ribbon tail club! Another poster on here said it best: bettas are sometimes all fins and no brains. It looks like a burn plus a run in with gravel. He'll be okay. It just looks a like a scary mess lol.

:) I just hate how much his tail has been shortened. It looks bad to me :(

Yeah he likes to brush against things lightly while swimming. Always has. I seriously doubt that is a symptom of anything. He's always done it. It's part of how he is. and the blue spot above his nose, part of his coloring. it's cute. helps me see him in his log too when it's too dark lol!

Today I was trying to feed him in his floating log. It was moving a little and he squeezed between the edge of it and the glass. I hope he didn't hurt himself. last week I tried to move it and I think it hit him some. I was freaking out I hope I didn't hurt him.

No more gravel. Plus it was getting DISGUSTING with crap going in there. Everything seems to sit on top of the sand. Easy peasy cleaning. Of course now I hear about gas pockets so gotta research that I guess but.

:) I just hate how much his tail has been shortened. It looks bad to me :(

Yeah he likes to brush against things lightly while swimming. Always has. I seriously doubt that is a symptom of anything. He's always done it. It's part of how he is. and the blue spot above his nose, part of his coloring. it's cute. helps me see him in his log too when it's too dark lol!

Today I was trying to feed him in his floating log. It was moving a little and he squeezed between the edge of it and the glass. I hope he didn't hurt himself. last week I tried to move it and I think it hit him some. I was freaking out I hope I didn't hurt him.

No more gravel. Plus it was getting DISGUSTING with crap going in there. Everything seems to sit on top of the sand. Easy peasy cleaning. Of course now I hear about gas pockets so gotta research that I guess but.

Those are useful! They make caves for the bacteria to live in and trap CO2 for plants. And yep, bettas...too brave for their own good. Ragnar is trying to get into his bubbling dragon little ding bat xD it won't be long before he bangs himself up somehow. At least I'm prepared. And Bubbles brushing against stuff...good thing you got rid of gravel!

The guy at the pet store told me its bacterial and to use betta fix. Eh. Got two bottles so Id have it anyway and got a good size bottle of stress coat. 4oz for $7 should've spent $2 more for the 8oz but wasn't sure if I needed that much. He said it won't help. Eh.

Those are useful! They make caves for the bacteria to live in and trap CO2 for plants. And yep, bettas...too brave for their own good. Ragnar is trying to get into his bubbling dragon little ding bat xD it won't be long before he bangs himself up somehow. At least I'm prepared. And Bubbles brushing against stuff...good thing you got rid of gravel!

Curious Bettas... :p. I love them.

He's hiding in his log from the bubbler. We haven't buried it yet coz we're worried about sand blowing everywhere.

Yeah. It was getting disgusting anyway. :(. It was pretty though.

Curious Bettas... :p. I love them.

He's hiding in his log from the bubbler. We haven't buried it yet coz we're worried about sand blowing everywhere.

Yeah. It was getting disgusting anyway. :(. It was pretty though.

Clearly the guy at the petstore didn't read the bottle :p poor Bubbles doesn't like the bubbles lol.

It says it's for bacterial infections though.

Yeah he hates it. Turned it off again. Since the filters buffered the top of the water doesn't move a lot. I like to break it up sometimes. We don't have enough plugs for filter heater light and bubbler lol :(

Back
Top Bottom