Betta lost more fin since last month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes fish change colors too. Looking at his tail fin it looks like there is less white but it looks like the blue spot extends further do it might not be as bad.

That said it does look a little more frayed. Not sure since there are so many fin types and I've only had normal boring Bettas before- maybe that is kinda normal too!???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It says it's for bacterial infections though.

Yeah he hates it. Turned it off again. Since the filters buffered the top of the water doesn't move a lot. I like to break it up sometimes. We don't have enough plugs for filter heater light and bubbler lol :(

Oh no. If the guy at the petstore told you Stress Coat wouldn't help he obviously didn't read the bottle.

Sometimes fish change colors too. Looking at his tail fin it looks like there is less white but it looks like the blue spot extends further do it might not be as bad.

That said it does look a little more frayed. Not sure since there are so many fin types and I've only had normal boring Bettas before- maybe that is kinda normal too!???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettas do change color as they age and it is normal for them to bang up their fins and they're sensitive to chemical burns. My little one is a half-moon and his tail is a little frayed.

He's been changing color since mid-late July. :). More red. It'd be more apparent if he'd not lost so much tail :(

On July 4th I called him my patriotic fish. :p

He's been changing color since mid-late July. :). More red. It'd be more apparent if he'd not lost so much tail :(

On July 4th I called him my patriotic fish. :p

Nice! Ragnar is turning a little green. Tomorrow I can email you my tank care routine and modify it for healthy fins

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:)

Awww. :)

Didn't have a chance to do a water change today yet unfortunately but it's going to happen tomorrow for sure!!!!!

If you don't want to use the methylene because it kills BB then maybe furan-2?
Wouldn't this work against common bacteria as well as fungus?
Its called "fungus cure" it might be the easiest route to go as to solving this problem, i think it would be effective without killing the BB or the fish. Personally ive used it with limited sucess against fungus, seems you have to go higher than the reccomended dosage tho, so i usually just reccomend to people what has/does work for me, but this might be a reasonably priced $7 medicine that could help him.

If you don't want to use the methylene because it kills BB then maybe furan-2?
Wouldn't this work against common bacteria as well as fungus?
Its called "fungus cure" it might be the easiest route to go as to solving this problem, i think it would be effective without killing the BB or the fish.

It's a good choice...but dragon's betta thankfully isn't sick, sometimes betta fins get burns from ammonia, it's a rather frequent occurance.

Huh, ive never heard of ammonia burning a fishes tail, i thought you said it was nitrates "burning"? I know ammonia can burn fishes gills and cause death from lack of oxygen. Anyways its hard to tell on a beta with a white cadual fins anyways. But ya if theres no outward signs of infection like white fuzzy patches on the edes of his fins he may just need a cleaner home and some warmth for awhile, has he been kept adequetely warm lately? Betas like it warm and acidic with soft water, unlike most alkaline hard water we have in the midwest, i had to gradually aclimate mine using proper PH 7.0 and also a soft water pillow, because my kid loves her beta too. He got pretty cold last night when they left the window open. Might get a cheap little heater for his cube since winter is coming soon. And its been so dreadfully hot in this apartment this summer we are gonna keep it cool in winter like around 68 or 70.

Huh, ive never heard of ammonia burning a fishes tail, i thought you said it was nitrates "burning"? I know ammonia can burn fishes gills and cause death from lack of oxygen. Anyways its hard to tell on a beta with a white cadual fins anyways. But ya if theres no outward signs of infection like white fuzzy patches on the edes of his fins he may just need a cleaner home and some warmth for awhile, has he been kept adequetely warm lately? Betas like it warm and acidic with soft water, unlike most alkaline hard water we have in the midwest, i had to gradually aclimate mine using proper PH 7.0 and also a soft water pillow, because my kid loves her beta too. He got pretty cold last night when they left the window open. Might get a cheap little heater for his cube since winter is coming soon. And its been so dreadfully hot in this apartment this summer we are gonna keep it cool in winter like around 68 or 70.

Both can burn off fins :/ I do believe he's kept quite warm and sometimes too much warmth can make fin healing difficult. He has no growths and is behaving normally so it's water quality. He'll be okay. Mine is frayed too :(

He's kept between 77-78 degrees. We have a nice Aquenon pro 100watt heater in there. Our ph is about 7.6. His water conditions other than nitrate being around 10ish are good. I have seen no fuzziness or anything on him.

I've debated getting a gh/kh (I think that's it) test kit too but not sure if that's necessary.

We've spent probably around $350-$400 or so on fish stuff total... Aquariums heaters food test kits gravel and then sand. Decorations/decor thermometers filters. Bubbler stuff. Water conditioners and most recently, medicines. Not to mention my betta and our 7 little catfish that all this stuff was bought for haha.

This fish is spoiled hehe.

Should we turn the heat down to around 75/76?

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ish still.

About to do a 50% water change. Will retest nitrate like a half hour or so after.

Just reread betta fix directions. 1/2 tsp per gallon for 7 days. We've a 10g. 2 1.7oz bottles aren't gonna cut it I don't think. Ugh. :/. And it's $5 a bottle and I think I bought half of what they had in stock at the time.

Changed out half his water and added stress coat :). Debating adding betta fix or not. Haven't opened yet so could return.

Changed out half his water and added stress coat :). Debating adding betta fix or not. Haven't opened yet so could return.

I think it's worth a try. And temp wise you're at the high end of safe betta temps. I usually try (heavy emphasis on try) to aim for 75. But Bubbles will be fine at that temp. It might even help his fins a bit.

Maybe we'll try to lower it a bit then at some point. And UGH sometimes I get the water too warm. It made the thermometer read about 81 yesterday after the change. Our temp doesn't stay very consistent out of the tap sometimes. sometimes I can match it pretty good, other times its a bit too much :( Maybe it's better to be a bit cooler than warmer when trying to temp match?

I am a little worried about him, after the water change & adding stress coat, he's been in his log a lot. He loves his log, but, he's been in there a lot, just chillin in there. I almost want to say he's been in there excessively. I'll keep an eye on him, maybe he's just happy it's not floating around anymore lol. We have it kinda away from the filter & under the hinged glass top where it splits down the middle so it is sort of anchored. It's been floating around for a couple weeks now lol.

Since doing with the water change and adding the double dose of stress coat, my betta has been almost exclusively in his floating log.

I'm worried about him :(

Thanks :). Maybe he's just happy his log is away from the light current.

But. He's not eating well. :(. He loves food. He tried but the pellet started sinking and he chased it and gave up. I gave him another. He didn't see it. I tried to pick it back up but it went sink sink :(

Also he looks a little bloated. :(. May try the pea thing. I wanted to fast him yesterday due to this. He may have eaten a pellet. Snubbed his freeze dried blood worm. I'm worried about him.

And on top of this, my computer may have died after the power flicking last night a couple times. Thank goodness I have this little iPod touch. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get online at home.

Back
Top Bottom