Betta stories/rescues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But it isn't a RESCUE. It is a PURCHASE. It's all the same to the store- profit.

I'm not saying "let's get LFS's to stop selling fish!" That would be ridiculous. I'm saying VOTE with your dollar and support the LFS's that keep fish well. If you don't, there aren't going to be any more good LFS's because the chain stores will put them out of business.

We've had bettas here and we keep them in TANKS. It's not that difficult for a store to do if they really want to keep them properly. So yes, I find it quite irritating that folks would choose to purchase a betta to "save" it when there are folks like myself (and HN1) that sell fish that work our butts off to do it properly. Buying a betta out of a crappy little cup only ensures that they will continue to be kept that way because let's face it, if nothing changes, then nothing changes.

I have also been involved with dog rescues and I promise you, that is an apples to oranges comparison. Not even close.

*edit* Threads merged. Please start only one thread per topic. Thanks.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
But it isn't a RESCUE. It is a PURCHASE. It's all the same to the store- profit.

I'm not saying "let's get LFS's to stop selling fish!" That would be ridiculous. I'm saying VOTE with your dollar and support the LFS's that keep fish well. If you don't, there aren't going to be any more good LFS's because the chain stores will put them out of business.

We've had bettas here and we keep them in TANKS. It's not that difficult for a store to do if they really want to keep them properly. So yes, I find it quite irritating that folks would choose to purchase a betta to "save" it when there are folks like myself (and HN1) that sell fish that work our butts off to do it properly. Buying a betta out of a crappy little cup only ensures that they will continue to be kept that way because let's face it, if nothing changes, then nothing changes.

I have also been involved with dog rescues and I promise you, that is an apples to oranges comparison. Not even close.

*edit* Threads merged. Please start only one thread per topic. Thanks.

Yeah a purchase that rescues a fish.

I don't think chain stores will put lfs's out of business cause if people have any idea on fish keeping they'd know that these chain stores are no good, I think it's only people who have no idea that go to these chain stores or people that have no choice as its the only place they can get fish and these inexperienced people wont know that the betta shouldn't be in a cup and they'll continue to buy them, but people who do buy these bettas to rescue them and know its not healthy to be in a cup will give them a good home, i'd say thats rescuing that betta, yeah they will continue to stock them in cups but they still would none the less because of the inexperienced people.

You shouldn't let it irritate you as there's nothing we can do about it really.

I think its a shame that someone doing a good thing for one fish gets so much grief for it lol

Not sure what the apples and oranges thing is in relation to, sorry. :)

A rescue would be rehoming someone's fish that can no longer provide a home for it, not buying it from a store.

You can say it shouldn't irritate me, but the prevalent attitude is just what you say- oh well, there's nothing we can do about it- but that really isn't the case and it's BAD for small retailers.

I'm not giving anyone grief for purchasing a betta out of a cup. I just want to make it clear that it is not a rescue, and will only perpetuate what I see so many people claim to hate so much.

If you don't think that chain stores are putting small LFS's out of business, just look a little harder. I've seen 5 or so close around here just in the past 3 years and it is happening all over.

severum mama said:
A rescue would be rehoming someone's fish that can no longer provide a home for it, not buying it from a store.

You can say it shouldn't irritate me, but the prevalent attitude is just what you say- oh well, there's nothing we can do about it- but that really isn't the case and it's BAD for small retailers.

I'm not giving anyone grief for purchasing a betta out of a cup. I just want to make it clear that it is not a rescue, and will only perpetuate what I see so many people claim to hate so much.

If you don't think that chain stores are putting small LFS's out of business, just look a little harder. I've seen 5 or so close around here just in the past 3 years and it is happening all over.

I don't think that's a rescue at all I think that's doing right by the fish, if it's getting too big for example.

So are your saying there is something we can do about it?
If so How can we let every single person know its bad for a Betta to be in a cup?

You saying you want to make it clear it's not a rescue is your opinion, mine is that it is.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.lol

Maybe the stores closing is only happening in the US then?
Where I live the smaller stores do very well and are always packed with people.

Look at it from a business point of view.

If you don't increase the store's profit by making a purchase, then the store will not be able to continue selling in the same manner. Hurt the profit margin, hurt the store as a whole.

How can we let as many people as possible know that bettas deserve more than a cup? Threads like this that try to make that exact point.

If you keep believing that these threads don't make a difference, that's your right. We've seen them make a difference.

What we really need to do is educate,educate educate, sorry I can't say it enough! If you know someone who is thinking about purchasing a betta or any fish for that matter explain to them the "right way" to do it!! For example my daughters 10 yr old friend see's all our tanks in our home and decided she wants to get an aquarium. However her mom says she can only get a betta and a fishbowl to put it in!! I was alarmed when my daughter told me this so I called up this little girls mom and said "do you want to get a Betta in a bowl that won't live a long healthy life and be miserable and suffer or would you like me to HELP you do it the right way"? So far I've talked her into at least a 5 gal if not larger for a Betta and I'm going to help her set it up with some of my seeded media and she's going to get the Betta from a breeder!! Shes also going to be joining this forum real soon. So that's one person that won't be walking into a LFS to purchase a betta in a bowl!! If enough of us talk to people and spread the word we can do something about the Bettas being sold in little cups!!!! I've also recommended to at least a half dozen people to join this forum so eventually if we ALL work together WE can make a difference!! :)

LyndaB said:
Look at it from a business point of view.

If you don't increase the store's profit by making a purchase, then the store will not be able to continue selling in the same manner. Hurt the profit margin, hurt the store as a whole.

How can we let as many people as possible know that bettas deserve more than a cup? Threads like this that try to make that exact point.

If you keep believing that these threads don't make a difference, that's your right. We've seen them make a difference.

Look at it from an everyday persons view too, they haven't got a clue about fish keeping. And it's not just fish that these pet stores stock so are you saying we have to get these people to stop buying things for there dog/rabbit/cat? Come on be serious. And not many inexperienced people are on this forum so I don't see how this thread will get back to them?
Can you tell me how they've made a difference when they still stick them in cups?

Tigroscr said:
What we really need to do is educate,educate educate, sorry I can't say it enough! If you know someone who is thinking about purchasing a betta or any fish for that matter explain to them the "right way" to do it!! For example my daughters 10 yr old friend see's all our tanks in our home and decided she wants to get an aquarium. However her mom says she can only get a betta and a fishbowl to put it in!! I was alarmed when my daughter told me this so I called up this little girls mom and said "do you want to get a Betta in a bowl that won't live a long healthy life and be miserable and suffer or would you like me to HELP you do it the right way"? So far I've talked her into at least a 5 gal if not larger for a Betta and I'm going to help her set it up with some of my seeded media and she's going to get the Betta from a breeder!! Shes also going to be joining this forum real soon. So that's one person that won't be walking into a LFS to purchase a betta in a bowl!! If enough of us talk to people and spread the word we can do something about the Bettas being sold in little cups!!!! I've also recommended to at least a half dozen people to join this forum so eventually if we ALL work together WE can make a difference!! :)

IMHO I don't think these stores will ever stop putting them in cups, they sell so why would they? I agree with what ur saying by talking to people and letting them know the requirements but it'd be impossible to let everyone know, plus not everyone knows an experienced fish keeper. I'm not saying its right to put them in cups or anything( just to let people know I'm strongly against it). IMO its a good thing to buy a betta in a cup just to save that betta from a horrible life.

Don-Lino said:
Look at it from an everyday persons view too, they haven't got a clue about fish keeping. And it's not just fish that these pet stores stock so are you saying we have to get these people to stop buying things for there dog/rabbit/cat? Come on be serious. And not many inexperienced people are on this forum so I don't see how this thread will get back to them?
Can you tell me how they've made a difference when they still stick them in cups?

WE can make a difference even if it takes a long time change doesn't usually happen overnight. Why buy a rabbit,dog,cat,guinea pig or whatever from a pet store anyway when there are tons of rescues with thousands of unwanted animals?? All of my animals except for some fish are from these types of rescues!! They even have specific dog breed rescues if your looking for that type of breed!! :)

...are you saying we have to get these people to stop buying things for there dog/rabbit/cat? Come on be serious. And not many inexperienced people are on this forum so I don't see how this thread will get back to them?

I'm not sure why you are arguing with us. There is your opinion. There is my opinion. Neither is wrong.

I keep trying to explain my point of view. You keep arguing it. And frankly, with some of what you wrote above, now you're being confrontational. We were talking about purchasing animals and you've switched it over to buying supplies for animals.

Life's too short. I'm not going to argue with you.

LyndaB said:
I'm not sure why you are arguing with us. There is your opinion. There is my opinion. Neither is wrong.

I keep trying to explain my point of view. You keep arguing it. And frankly, with some of what you wrote above, now you're being confrontational. We were talking about purchasing animals and you've switched it over to buying supplies for animals.

Life's too short. I'm not going to argue with you.

I'm giving my opinion, if you think I'm being confrontational by expressing my OPINION thats your problem for taking it in the wrong way.

To be honest guys, I think the issue is less opinion then semantics. Did you buy the fish, yes. Did you buy it to save it from the conditions it's in? The answer may also be yes.

We can debate rather boycotting the purchase of animals kept in a bad, or wrong, way would make a difference. We can debate how we SHOULD rescue animals that are endangered (Be they aquatic, terrestrial, or even human). But let's not argue about rather or not we actually DID do so, okay?

We're not the irresponsible one's. We're the one's who can actually do something about the issue, if we really sat down and thought about it.

All I'm saying Don Lino is WE can make a difference even if it's a small one! Your throwing in the towel and giving up too easily! Persistence and perseverance does pay off in the long run, not all people will listen but some will and then they will tell more people and so on.......... If enough people are educated and stop purchasing Bettas in cups, it will change!! I'm starting a networking group here in town on fish hobbyists, anyone can come that wants to talk or learn or share ideas about fish whether they just want to come and learn more or whatever so hopefully there will be more educated people here in my city and I KNOW that I'm making a small difference in my community!! :)

Tigroscr said:
All I'm saying Don Lino is WE can make a difference even if it's a small one! Your throwing in the towel and giving up too easily! Persistence and perseverance does pay off in the long run, not all people will listen but some will and then they will tell more people and so on.......... If enough people are educated and stop purchasing Bettas in cups, it will change!! I'm starting a networking group here in town on fish hobbyists, anyone can come that wants to talk or learn or share ideas about fish whether they just want to come and learn more or whatever so hopefully there will be more educated people here in my city and I KNOW that I'm making a small difference in my community!! :)

That's good to hear, if only we had people like you in every community :) We can help yeah but with so many inexperienced fish keepers just buying fish to keep there young kids happy, I think were fighting a losing battle, I'd love to see the bettas in cups banished from the stores, I'm an animal lover, I hate seeing them in this way as it truly is cruel. That's all I will say on this thread as I'm apparently coming across as confrontational, I think confrontational and passionate about something got mixed up somewhere lol.

I hope everyone will consider buying bettas from reputable breeders/sellers who do not keep them in bowls or cups. That's the ony way we can ever really "save" them. :)

You are missing a few key points Don.

I don't think that's a rescue at all I think that's doing right by the fish, if it's getting too big for example.

So are your saying there is something we can do about it?
If so How can we let every single person know its bad for a Betta to be in a cup?

You saying you want to make it clear it's not a rescue is your opinion, mine is that it is.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.lol

Maybe the stores closing is only happening in the US then?
Where I live the smaller stores do very well and are always packed with people.

One at a time. That tends to be how education on any topic works.

That is the fault of the store. Mass chains do what is most profitable. Most demand, least expenditure. You are right that it applies to other animals as well.

The experience levels on this site vary from the no experience, thinking about starting a tank to the folks with decades of experience so I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Most new members here seem to be first tank owners that find the site while researching issues they are already experiencing.

The stores don't put them in cups. The wholesalers do.

IMHO I don't think these stores will ever stop putting them in cups, they sell so why would they? I agree with what ur saying by talking to people and letting them know the requirements but it'd be impossible to let everyone know, plus not everyone knows an experienced fish keeper. I'm not saying its right to put them in cups or anything( just to let people know I'm strongly against it). IMO its a good thing to buy a betta in a cup just to save that betta from a horrible life.

AND, you just proved the argument against your stance.

dont you resuce a betta every time someone buys one? well maybe not because alot of people keep them in little bowls. but I havent rescued one I would love to put one in my 10 gallon tank but have a few fancy guppies in it that I would need to get rid of. I have my eye on one at the LFS that is black and white crown tail I would really love to have.

For those that think they are truly "rescuing" a betta, what exactly are you saving it from?

Bettas can survive in small cups. It's not ideal at all, but they survive it very well, otherwise retailers would not keep them/ship them/maintain them this way.

So what are you saving them from again? Sitting in a cup? Potentially being bought by someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

There's countless other species that are crammed together in tiny display tanks at pet stores. How about the goldfish and rosy red feeder tanks, they are hundreds deep, who cares about "saving" those? Oh wait, they aren't as pretty as bettas so I guess it doesn't matter.

My honest opinion is that many people do these rescue missions because it makes them feel good about themselves, an ultimately selfish act under the guise of charity. If they were really doing it for the sake of the animals, they'd look at the big picture and do something to solve the real problem.

For those that think they are truly "rescuing" a betta, what exactly are you saving it from?

Bettas can survive in small cups. It's not ideal at all, but they survive it very well, otherwise retailers would not keep them/ship them/maintain them this way.

So what are you saving them from again? Sitting in a cup? Potentially being bought by someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

There's countless other species that are crammed together in tiny display tanks at pet stores. How about the goldfish and rosy red feeder tanks, they are hundreds deep, who cares about "saving" those? Oh wait, they aren't as pretty as bettas so I guess it doesn't matter.

My honest opinion is that many people do these rescue missions because it makes them feel good about themselves, an ultimately selfish act under the guise of charity. If they were really doing it for the sake of the animals, they'd look at the big picture and do something to solve the real problem.
I agree with you.

I have 3 bettas that came from cups, but a member here (I am pretty sure it was siva) pointed out that the best way to get stores to improve their fish husbandry practices is to not buy fish from them. So, thats what I now choose to do. I quit buying any fish from stores that don't house them properly (any species). It limits my options and the availability locally, but its what I choose to do. Just an example of how discussing these issues can make a difference. Yes, I am just one person, but I have friends and a big mouth. I will no longer buy fish (including, but not limited to bettas) from places that do not take proper care of them. Thats just my opinion and my choice.

IMO, buying the fish doesn't necessarily stop pet stores like Petco from keeping to do what they've been doing for what, ten-fifteen years now? I agree, you should buy them from reputable breeders, as siva and absolutangel have stated.

I also think that buying the fish from the little cups won't rescue them. I bought mine a week ago not because I felt they were dying, but I had the spare cash and money and decided they'd look nice in a tank. Bettas in the wild are used to living in small pools in stagnant water, and although not really approved of, it's the same as it is for them in the wild as it is in the pet stores. That doesn't mean you should, it just means the pet stores are doing this out of cheap cost and efficiency, knowing that Bettas can survive in those conditions, ovbiously not for a long period of time, but by then someone else will have got them.

Back
Top Bottom