betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I'm considering starting a betta (fighting fish) tank up and I just have a few questions

1. Is there any scenario in which I can have more than 1 male in a tank?

2. What's the best male-female ratio

3. How many gallons of water per betta is best.

4. Can I still have bottom dwellers (plecs etc) with them?

Any help would be great thanks

1. No, not unless you use a divider, which can still end in tragedy.

2. There is no male to female ratio besides 1 male and 1 female under supervision during breeding and even then, things often get violent.

3. Minimum of 5 gallon tank for one betta. Filtered and heated to 80F.

A group of 4-6 females can be kept together in a 10 gal tank, this is known a as a sorority.

Bettas can also be part of a community tank in 10+ gals.

4. Yes. If your betta accepts tankmates, bottom dwellers are usually the safest. Of course there is always the fighter now and then who will not accept any tankmate of any kind.

1. if you have a large enough tank that it can be divided, then yes. you can buy or fashion your own divider to turn your one tank into 2 homes for 2 bettas. i've heard it works best when you use plants or decorations to hide the barrier, so the bettas cannot see each other and stress each other out.

2. not entirely sure about this. i'm guessing a single pair though (1:1 and that is purely a guess, don't quote me!)

3. 5 gallons MINIMUM per betta IMO. i'm working on setting up a 10g betta tank right now.

4. as far as i know bettas are compatible with most bottom dwellers. the general rule of thumb with bettas is don't house it with anything with flowing fins that it will mistake for another betta, or with anything that would nip it's flowing fins. that being said, if you are planning a small tank (<20g) there aren't really any plecos that would be suitable. otos would be a good option, or shrimp.

+1, I agree with Siva. :)

If you have a small tank, otos or dwarf corys would be best as bottom dwellers, or maybe some snails.
The issue I have with my bettas and the snail in the tank, is that the betta is always trying to sneak in and steal the snails algae wafer, so I have to supervise.

Hi I'm considering starting a betta (fighting fish) tank up and I just have a few questions

1. Is there any scenario in which I can have more than 1 male in a tank?

2. What's the best male-female ratio

3. How many gallons of water per betta is best.

4. Can I still have bottom dwellers (plecs etc) with them?

Any help would be great thanks

1 - only with a divider
2 - 1:1 and thats only when breeding
3 - 2.5g or 5g, depending on who you ask, personally, ill stick with the middle ground and do 3.5g ^_^ so you are neither right or wrong
4 - it really depends on the betta, i had a 10g with a single betta, i tried a BN pleco and it was a no go, i tried MTS and it was a no go, so hes there with 3 other bettas in a 20g long giving each betta 4-5g ( 2-3 inch substrate )

Cheers guys. So what ya all basically saying is I may aswell just get a 5-10g with a single male and just make him king of the castle lol thanks again

That's cool, I can live with that but before I settle for sure.... is it possible to have 1 male with 3 females or is that just asking for trouble?

That's cool, I can live with that but before I settle for sure.... is it possible to have 1 male with 3 females or is that just asking for trouble?

It's more like TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, They will kill each other faster than you can get them into their own tanks.
Some Betta's can be in a community, I stress the SOME. But most need to be on their own.
Even if you were to just put a mirror in a tank with the Betta, he will repeatedly attack the mirror. They don't like each other, at all. It's amazing they ever manage to procreate.
I was lucky when I bought a Betta for a friend. He was already living in a community tank at the FS. So I already know he should be OK.
Please don't put any Betta's together.

Ok then I now know that's a bad idea lol I just been to my lfs and they sell a 7.5g betta specific tank with everything( filter, lights, heater) built in as a solid unit so I think I'll go for that.

It's victor street aquatic in Grimsby uk. If I pop there in the next few days I'll check out the make etc and post it so ya can try and find one online

Back
Top Bottom