Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read a Betta can be in a 2 gallon and be just fine. My dg Is full grown and is 2 inches. My platy is about 1.5. Thats about 5.5 inches. I have a 5gal. One inch of fish per gallon? I think it's perfectly fine.

I found out why my dg died. The betta wouldn't let it get air. JEESH. This one Is perfectly fine with the betta and so is the platy. I also have a backup 3gal if something happens.

If something happens like if you find one dead again? I don't see how the 3 gal would help then.

Right...like I said..if the betta dominates the gourami it won't be able to rise for air which will eventually cause death...JEESH is right!!! If you put a gourami and a betta in a 5 gal tank you bet your buttons one is going to dominate the other one until only one is left.

No, not one inch of fish per gallon. As many fish as the filtration can handle and as many as the tank can fit within reason. A platy, a dwarf gourami, and betta, do not fit in a 5 gal tank within reason. A 5 gal barely, just barely, will give a betta, just one solo betta, enough room to swim around. There's more I could explain here to help you grasp how to stock correctly but clearly you aren't interested in learning how to do this the right way. It seems you just want to stuff as many fish as you can in there with no regard to the fish's health or happiness.

I hate to be harsh, but you are being ignorant. I was simply trying to share some information with you (after all the point of the forum is to share information), information that whether you realize or not, you need in order to have any success with these fish, but if you think it's perfectly fine regardless of what anyone else says then I guess you don't need our help. Good luck to you!

It depends on the fish. Bettas do great in discus tanks. Crown tail bettas do not do well with guppies. Their long fins look too much like food.

pam916 said:
It depends on the fish. Bettas do great in discus tanks. Crown tail bettas do not do well with guppies. Their long fins look too much like food.

Its not that their fins look like food. Their fins make them look like another male betta.

IM NOT COMMENTING ON THIS ANYMORE. I got all the "help" I need.

Ezimmer1990 said:
IM NOT COMMENTING ON THIS ANYMORE. I got all the "help" I need.

What the heck? We said that it probably would not be a good combination, but you didn't listen. So you did what we said not to do, and you ended up with a dead fish. That's why we advised you not to do it, so that wouldn't happen. It is not our fault that your dwarf gourami died. Its yours. You put it in there with the fish that we told you wouldn't be a good tankmate. So don't call our advice "help" if you didn't even listen to it.

Unfortunately this poor kid had to learn the hard way! It's very sad he/she lost the fish though! I kinda feel bad with the whole situation IMO this could have possibly worked with a 20-30 g tank just not enough room for the 2 fish to establish their own territory in a 5 gallon. :-(

I am sorry bro. We all make these mistakes. I take back my former comment lol

What the heck? We said that it probably would not be a good combination, but you didn't listen. So you did what we said not to do, and you ended up with a dead fish. That's why we advised you not to do it, so that wouldn't happen. It is not our fault that your dwarf gourami died. Its yours. You put it in there with the fish that we told you wouldn't be a good tankmate. So don't call our advice "help" if you didn't even listen to it.

Unfortunately this poor kid had to learn the hard way! It's very sad he/she lost the fish though! I kinda feel bad with the whole situation IMO this could have possibly worked with a 20-30 g tank just not enough room for the 2 fish to establish their own territory in a 5 gallon. :-(

Maybe I misunderstood, but if you read through it sounds like he/she is saying a new gourami has already been added since the other died, and they are confident it's going to work this time, and if there's any fighting they will put one of the fish into a 3 gal. I don't think the individual is blaming us for the gourami dying, but in disagreeance that their stocking practices are unhealthy and unethical.

Ezimmer1990 said:
I've read a Betta can be in a 2 gallon and be just fine. My dg Is full grown and is 2 inches. My platy is about 1.5. Thats about 5.5 inches. I have a 5gal. One inch of fish per gallon? I think it's perfectly fine.

I found out why my dg died. The betta wouldn't let it get air. JEESH. This one Is perfectly fine with the betta and so is the platy. I also have a backup 3gal if something happens.

Yeah I think your right this is the second dg or are they talking about the same one that died? Idk I'm confused???

Yeah see there "this one is perfectly fine with the betta" implying there must be a new one since we know the last one died.

Do you think I could put my Betta in with my 11 inch Tiger Oscar? Jk! Lol! I'm sorry that really wasn't funny! Lol! Yeah it was! :)

siva said:
Yeah see there "this one is perfectly fine with the betta" implying there must be a new one since we know the last one died.

No honestly I was kidding I would never put my betta in with my Oscar!!! But yeah I think your right there is another DG in the 5 g tank! OMG I would have thought the kid learned his lesson the first time!

My betta wasn't with my DG the first time! It was with one platy. My dg died from dwarf gourami disease.

Ezimmer1990 said:
My betta wasn't with my DG the first time! It was with one platy. My dg died from dwarf gourami disease.

How do you know? What did the fishes body look like? Did it just look normal?

Oh my gosh... It's not all my fault. It's your guys' fault.

Back
Top Bottom