BGK Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same problem lol but like you said keeps ya fit, good luck treating the ich

Are BGKs really that aggressive because people are telling me to get an African Brown Knife instead because the BGK could harm my stock??
1 Angel Fish
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Blood Parrot
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Fire Eel
Do you guys think it could work?

I know BGK are very very sensitive to water conditions and I've heard they will eat any and I mean ANY fish they can fit in their mouths... I know they also will eat the eyes off Cory cats. I don't think i've ever read a post here about OVERLY aggressive BGK...

As far as your current stock goes the only thing I can say for sure(definitely not an expert) is that it would depend on how small/big your fish are and how big the BGK would be when you get it...

I've heard plenty of awesome and fascinating things about BGK and I can't wait to get one but I have to wait until the previously posted situation is fixed :/

Oh an I've also heard mixed reviews about them being nocturnal so you'd have to take that into account too... Your fish will become stress if the BGK starts to harass your other fish while they're sleeping.

and to touch on the subject of BGK versus ABK when i started asking questions people told me that the ABK doesn't really reach anything close to the size the BGK will... from reading other threads about the BGK its full size is around 2' but the biggest one that's been posted about was around 15" but i was reading a thread you wrote a little while ago and if i'm not mistaken you have quite the large 150G so as far as size goes you sould be fine...

Last edited:
HopefulHobbiest said:
Oh an I've also heard mixed reviews about them being nocturnal so you'd have to take that into account too... Your fish will become stress if the BGK starts to harass your other fish while they're sleeping

Ok thanks for your help! I guess the ABK is a better choice... they're both cool though. Good luck

Black ghost knifes eat the eyes off of corys? I don't know if I buy that. Who has an aggressive bgk?

yea i'm not entirely sure i believe that either but it was pointed out to me by 3 people in the past so i figured i'd atleast mention it... i have 6 cory's in my tank currently and when my water chems balance out and the ich junk is gone i'm planning on getting one so i'll just have to watch him closely at the begining to see the interaction with the BGK and cory's

Mine is so placid I kept him with skunk Corey's since I got him and never had a problem and he was in with tiny green neon tetras and none went missing, only time I have ever seen aggression is when someone tries to take his hiding spot lol guess the each have different personalities, another strange thing when I 1st git him he would only eat pleco wafers after they had been there a while and went soft lol it's the only 1 I have kept so idk if they are all like it but I'd say mine was an excellent community fish.

Mine is so placid I kept him with skunk Corey's since I got him and never had a problem and he was in with tiny green neon tetras and none went missing, only time I have ever seen aggression is when someone tries to take his hiding spot lol guess the each have different personalities, another strange thing when I 1st git him he would only eat pleco wafers after they had been there a while and went soft lol it's the only 1 I have kept so idk if they are all like it but I'd say mine was an excellent community fish.

you're probably right, i've never had one before so i have no real world experience with them lol so i guess i shouldn't comment until i've experienced the joy of having a BGK :D:D

Black ghost knifes eat the eyes off of corys? I don't know if I buy that. Who has an aggressive bgk?

I can vouch for it. Lost around half a dozen cories to mine, even had a one eyed neon for a while that obviously escaped his nibbling.

To vanimal your stocking looks fine for a BGK, the biggest issue you can have with BGKs other than small fish is if it gets harassed constantly by other fish trying to share it's space (So Pictus catfish, Rainbow Sharks etc who tend to be cave dwellers).

vanimal said:
Are BGKs really that aggressive because people are telling me to get an African Brown Knife instead because the BGK could harm my stock??
1 Angel Fish
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Blood Parrot
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Fire Eel
Do you guys think it could work?

I think you'd be fine. I have mine with a blood parrot, angel fish, bn pleco, dwarf gourami and several other fish that aren't on your list including a school of danios. So far the only fish that have been eaten were 3 danios and that's while he was still very shy and wouldn't eat during the day. Now that he's out and about all hours and eats right out of my hand I have lost no fish.

Mine has never eaten or attacked anything lol maybe he's a vegetarian BGK :D guess I just got lucky with mine

HopefulHobbiest said:
Well that's good, I'm glad to hear I have a little while before I have to upgrade :).

I've also heard the bit about the BGK's and Cory's...
Is there another type of fish I could use as a cleaning crew?? I could probably rehome the Cory's to my brother's 20G Goldie tank... Unless that would be a bad idea :/

What do you plan to feed it? What do you other guys feed yours?

I feed mine the same things the others get. Frozen kill, spirulina brine shrimp, bloodworm, he eats everything but loooves bloodworms

I feed mine a mix of frozen and pellets but like I said when I 1st got him he only ate shrimp/algae pleco wafers.

datkush said:
I feed mine the same things the others get. Frozen kill, spirulina brine shrimp, bloodworm, he eats everything but loooves bloodworms

Pretty much the same I feed mine exept he eats the catfish pellets aswell and anything you can get him to eat with sprulina makes them look Awsome it gives them kinda a blue glow :)

Back
Top Bottom