Bill's 5 Gallon - A Rimless Treescape Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utricularia graminifolia gets to about an inch tall or less... 2cm - 8cm. The difficulty level is considered to be that of HC.

Utricularia graminifolia (Utricularia graminifolia)

Tropica Aquarium Plants - Utricularia graminifolia

UG vs. HC

Reference picture:
74724578.jpg

That i don't know.. All i know is i myself want to give this plant a try one day soon. Its pretty neat that its emersed form is carnivorous like a Venus fly trap! Underwater it's fish and shrimp safe.. Intriguing plant.

Cool, just from what I'm reading so far you just hack it like a hair cut, but it's important to let it establish first. Its also supposed to be pretty delicate and sensitive to moving... This may be a nice little challenge! :)

I looked into it just about a week ago and think it's best appreciated in a smaller tank. It is trimmed like any other carpeting plant for example DHG. Just be prepared when you find it that the price is around $20-25 for a 2inch square or pot.

I looked into it just about a week ago and think it's best appreciated in a smaller tank. It is trimmed like anyother carpeting plant like DHG. Just be prepared when you find it that the price is around $20-25 for a 2inch square or pot.

Oh my... That's quite a risk! Hope it survives if I invest in it! Thanks rivercats! :D

Maybe a couple of accent mini pellia bushes? I love mini pellia but i unfortunately nuked my only portion of it :(

I like it but perhaps a taller slope behind the tree? I'm also a bit worried that with the size of that DW, you'd have to use a fairly large clump of subwassertang to achieve a tree look that could potentially block all the light.

I like it but perhaps a taller slope behind the tree? I'm also a bit worried that with the size of that DW, you'd have to use a fairly large clump of subwassertang to achieve a tree look that could potentially block all the light.

I've been thinking the same thing about the slope, but every time I try to make adjustments I cloud the tank so bad that I can't even see to work... I'll have to drain the tank, and hopefully scavenge a little more of aqua soil from somewhere...

I know that light blockage will be a problem, which is why I'll grow out the carpet first. The top of the driftwood is towards the back of the tank. I can move and angle this fixture around to direct the light, but once I grow the tree I might still need to supplement light with a desk lamp or something... This is one of the reasons I wanted to go a different route with this tank, but I'll grow out this scape first, because its something I want to achieve. I can always rescape after if I feel like it. :)

Aww, sorry to see it go. I love tree scapes and that will be my next project but in a smaller tank its definitely difficult. Have any plants for the tank now?

I have a plan, it's just on hold for now because of finances. The look of the tank is gonna focus strongly on hardscape(manzanita branches and some undecided sort of stone) but may end up overgrown by plants. I know for sure I'll be using Blyxa Japonica, Anubias Nana, some Hydrocotyle Japan, and maybe an undecided stem plant for the background. Easy care, low maintenance is what I'm going for with this one. I really don't feel like the maintenance and issues that can come along with growing another carpet right now. Trimming the HC in the 12 long is a chore in itself!

Trust me, this will be a beautiful tank though!

I feel you on that! I was very content with having my 2.1g cube as low tech. It's nice to have a planted tank on that side of the fence when you already have a high tech going. You should go for some Anubias Petite rather than Nana. You can put more of them in there and they'll help with keeping things to scale. I just like the smaller leaf structured plants in nano/picos better. Just a small suggestion. :)

Oh yes, the petite version is what I meant... :)

Edit: and they actually have a bunch attached to small stones at my petco. They're in horrible condition, but that can be fixed! I had to hold back from spending money though... Aye... :)

If you can find it, anubias micro is even SMALLER :D It is fairly uncommon, though - I am trying to get my hands on some while juggling many other money-consuming fish projects ;)

Back
Top Bottom