Birdwatching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone here like birdwatching?

I love birds.... and have a mild bird feeder addiction (we have too many to hang up!)

I watch them all the time. I am feeding some Mountain Blue Jays lots of corn and they go crazy for it. I had a bunch in a flower pot and they knocked it over getting the food out. I also have a 40lb bag of corn on the porch which they poked a hole in and pick out one or two fat kernels and throw them off to the side and make a huge mess on the ground. And there are lotsa Mourning doves.

We have a few areas with Bald Eagles, and I get to see them pretty often, I got to see a Wood Duck the year before, that was pretty exciting. We have Herons and Pelicans which hang out around the nearby ponds.

In Texas I would drive by a spot and there was always a huge Great Blue Heron Standing in the water right next to the road. And in Texas there were 3 pair of Cardinals I bought a special bird feeder for.

And the squirrels, lol so funny to see what they will do to get to a bird feeder.

Last edited:
I watch them all the time. I am feeding some Mountain Blue Jays lots of corn and they go crazy for it. I had a bunch in a flower pot and they knocked it over getting the food out. I also have a 40lb bag of corn on the porch which they poked a hole in and pick out one or two fat kernels and throw them off to the side and make a huge mess on the ground. And there are lotsa Mourning doves.

We have a few areas with Bald Eagles, and I get to see them pretty often, I got to see a Wood Duck the year before, that was pretty exciting. We have Herons and Pelicans which hang out around the nearby ponds.

In Texas I would drive by a spot and there was always a huge Great Blue Heron Standing in the water right next to the road. And in Texas there were 3 pair of Cardinals I bought a special bird feeder for.

And the squirrels, lol so funny to see what they will do to get to a bird feeder.

That is fantastic! I have had the pleasure of seeing Bald Eagles in the wild as well. We even got to watch young ones grow up last year. It was fantastic. Seen a good amount of Blue Herons as well. We've seen quite a few birds on our list. Some by chance, some by trying very hard, and some by trying very hard but the first time seeing them was in our yard lol!

LOL @ your mountain blue jays haha! Brats :p

Our Hairy Woodpeckers are messy little brats with the suet, especially the female(s). She has an attitude and doesn't like to share with anyone!

Ah yes, the squirrels... :p

I was a Falconer, so I tend to notice Birds of Prey.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D Birds of prey are awesome! I just don't like seeing them prey on our songbirds lol. Or the aftermath of such :(

I know it's nature, I just don't want to see it lol.

:D Birds of prey are awesome! I just don't like seeing them prey on our songbirds lol. Or the aftermath of such :(

I know it's nature, I just don't want to see it lol.

Well mine were fed Quail. Or Mice. We didn't hunt songbirds of course. We had a pair of bold Coopers Hawks try to come too close to join in feeding time.

I have an American Singer Canary boy in my room ❤ Dash is 10yrs. So yep I love songbirds as well.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:)
I want to see a wild quail.

Aww. I love most birds. They just make me so happy.

Awww :). That's great :) I want a bird sometime.

Before we got fish we were considering a hamster, a bird, or fish. The fish won. Hehe.

:D

I have seen what I think is a ruffed grouse or something like that in the wild. Also very cute :)

:)
I want to see a wild quail.

Aww. I love most birds. They just make me so happy.

Awww :). That's great :) I want a bird sometime.

Before we got fish we were considering a hamster, a bird, or fish. The fish won. Hehe.

We have tons of wild quail around here. We also have lots of pheasants, blue herons, sage hens, and lots more

Fishobsessed7

Birds are beautiful, with such intelligence and curiosity. I once went to cancan Mexico and the birds are incredibly smart! They stole sugar from a real nice restaurant when the waiters and waitresses weren't looking. It was hilarious. Every time the man came back the bird would fly to the roof. After it successfully stole the sugar it took it back to a near by palm tree where it and a few other of his partners in crime ripped the packets with their beaks and practically inhaled the sugar like it was a drug they were addicted to. Of all the extravagant things we did, that was one thing I will never forget! And may I also add that we went snorkeling in a stunning reef that I would like to replicate in my dream reef tank.

NatureFish
????

Oh and also it was a business trip so it was all inclusive and paid for.

NatureFish
????

That's great and wow what a story! :D I'd love to see a bird doing something like that LOL

I love birds so much... we have a mild bird feeder addiction.... and we have to make sure our woodpeckers don't run out of suet, otherwise they get mad at us :p lol

By the way I meant cancun not cancan! Hahaha lol! Stupid autocorrect!

NatureFish
????

Here in hawaii we don't have many native species. I'd love to go hiking in the more remote areas and let out a few calls.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here in hawaii we don't have many native species. I'd love to go hiking in the more remote areas and let out a few calls.

Oh you live in Hawaii?! I wish I lived there...

NatureFish
????

I hope you can soon!! :)

How many bird species live there?

Watched a mature Bald Eagle soaring around in town over the river, it was beautiful and you can't mistake that head and tail! Such an exciting thing. Was picking up a quick few items from the lfs. And got to watch that for about 5 minutes before I had to leave for an appointment!

Back
Top Bottom