Black Skirt Tetra aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmaie892000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've decided to give up and ask for help with my black skirts.
So here's the backstory.
I had a 10 gallon before I set up my 20 gallon, with 2 Blackskirt tetras, an ADF, and one cory cat. I realize now that was awful schooling numbers, and the pet shop should really have told me when I bought them. But oh well.
So when I got my tank, I decided to even out my black skirt school first, then my cories. (I still haven't gotten around to that, since I want to vary the colors).
The two I had in the 10 Gallon got along very well, I never had any aggression with them.
I added two more to start with (I didn't want to overload and cause nitrate spikes) and that's where I'm at now. I have left enough space that I could stock one or two more if you guys think that would help with the aggression.
The problem is, it isn't spread out evenly. The oldest one has the longest fins, and they're pretty ragged. He seems to get picked on the most, although they all kind of chase one another around. I feel like the smallest one is the worst, although they all take part (except the big guy, I haven't seen him chase, only run). The tank has plants and decor to break up the line of sight and hide behind or in.
So basically what I'm asking is..
Should I try to return the smallest one?
Should I add some more?
Should I separate the biggest guy and put him in my 10 gallon divided (when I finish setting it up), considering he is used to living alone and probably wouldn't be too stressed?

How long have you had the new black skirts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice your message. About two months now. I got them all together as soon as my tank was cycled enough to add the load.

Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice your message. About two months now. I got them all together as soon as my tank was cycled enough to add the load.

Skirt tetras are known to fin nip. Could be a M/F ratio thing. Mine would chase each other around the tank some but not much and never looked to be in an aggressive manner.

Caleb

I was thinking they are establishing a new pecking order because of the new black skirts and you had the old ones for a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When will the pecking order be arranged do you think?
And will adding more help?

When will the pecking order be arranged do you think?
And will adding more help?

They will dish it out with the pecking order. Some minor fin nipping at most. If it is becoming a problem with a lot of nipping remove the aggressors and add them back after some time out.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom