Blank Slate - 30G Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, unfortunately my hatchets have ich now so I am hoping that the 86 degree water will help.

Aw... I am so terrified of my fish getting ich. Your tank looks lovely. The difference between your stark photo and then your beautiful shot of the plants taking over is just great. Thanks for sharing. =)

The ich is cured, and last night I added 3 more hatchets to complete the school. Unfortunately, one was belly-up this morning and another has disappeared. There is also constant aggression from one hatchet to another specific hatchet. Le sigh.

Our hatchets act the same one. 1 of them is the boss of the other 6. Funny thing is that it's the smallest one that runs them.

Tank looks great :)

I went to the LFS, they credited me for the two hatchets after they tested my water and it turned out fine.

I was going to replace them, but they only had one hatchet on-hand so instead I picked up 5 Flame Tetras (sold as Von Rio tetras), instead of the Cardinals. The cardinals they had on-hand had neon tetra disease and I've been wary of the cards anyways, plus the VR Tetras are beautiful. There are a couple varieties, mine is yellow in the front with a diagonal fade to red on the back. I acclimated the VR's and they fed right away, and seemed to enjoy swimming the length of the tank. I'll get 2 more tetras and 3 more hatchets next week.

The last hatchet, which had been bullied non-stop, was dead when I returned from the LFS and it looked beat-up too. I might have to switch out the big mean one.

I'll update w/ pics sometime soon (Monday at the latest).

The LFS had some awesome Cories on hand. Red Laser Cories, but for 12.99 each I think I'll pass. They're really cool, but Cories are the least exciting fish that will be in my tank (IMO - I do think they're cute though!) so no reason to spend $52 on 4 fish.

Well one VR tetra is dead, looked pretty beat up. When I observed them today they were all hiding. I dunno if the hatchets are to blame but I am going to return them and get a school of 10 VR tetras instead. So this is what my stock list is looking like now:

10 Von Rio Tetras
4 Cory Cats
2 Bolivian Rams

I am re-scaping now but taking a break to meet the GF for lunch. I'll post pics later.

Re-scaped, returned all hatchets (too much trouble already). Enjoy!

FTS:

Anubias cool angle:

The new rulers of this tank (for now):

I like flame tetra and have never seen them at any of my LFS. Good job on th re-scaping.

Well the flame tetra population has dwindled to two. Is my tank just a death machine?

The bodies look beat up again.

If it were me I would slow down with buying fish. Ich does not go away quickly. Spend time not money. Maybe look at a different LFS. If you walk into a LFS and they tell you that all of their tanks are healthy beware. Fish get sick from all the shipping they get before they get to you. Watch the fish in the lfsfor awhile before you buy. Remember the LFS has to pay the rent so they are not always forthcoming about the fish.....Buyer beware
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom