Blue porcelain crab... Will it eat my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Since buying a blue porcelain crab last weekend my mandarin and two spot goby have disappeared, the crab seems quite feisty... has anyone any experience of these crabs taking slow moving fish??? I think he has eaten them :-\

I seriously doubt he would kill fish but I have seen mine grab ahold of their tails while passing by. Have you found the fish dead or have you just not been able to find them? What are your water parameters?

The two spot and especially the mandarin have very specific eating habits so they could have been on their way out and dying, thats probably the only time a porcelain crab will eat a fish.

Sorry about your fishies....

I've seen the crab chase the clowns and copperband that have got too close to him! I'm hoping the two that are missing are hiding round the back but they always come out at feeding time. I spot feed them and the two spot is chubby so I'm sure he hasn't faded away, the mandarin is very picky and will often not take any so he might have.

No I haven't found any dead fish, all tests are good except calcium which is high, have been doing weekly water changes and its down too 470ish

Hmmn... lfs has told me it might have been the brittle star who is the culprit and I should be feeding him separately. I didn't realise, thought he fed on leftovers!!

Back
Top Bottom