Blue ram cichild.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one male GBR in a 29g, with neon tetras and cory's. My ph is 6.8, Kh 3*, Nitrates stay below 20 before I water change, temp set at 80*F. I've had him for about a year now. When I first got him he was shy, and for two weeks, only ate blood worms... But then a few weeks later he turned into the king of the tank, and eats anything he can fit into his mouth... and chases off anything in his line of site when hes trying to eat...

Unless your fish are wild caught you have a little range on ph and hardness.

Ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ph 5-7

They are really sensitive to quick changes and nitrite

So if I want to keep this fish healty, I need right temperatures, hiding spaces, and have right ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph and hardness. Is it right?

So if I want to keep this fish healty, I need right temperatures, hiding spaces, and have right ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph and hardness. Is it right?

Yes, right/consistent temp, ph (acidic) and hardness (soft)... mine doesn't seem to care much about hiding, but generally they need spaces to get away from everything... Ammonia and nitrite should always be zero and nitrate should be around 20 max or below.

Yes, right/consistent temp, ph and hardness... mine doesn't seem to care much about hiding, but generally they need spaces to get away from everything... Ammonia and nitrite should always be zero and nitrate should be around 20 max or below.

And to test everything, I just need a master test kit from api?

It comes with everything useful. I don't really need the High Range Ph it comes with, but everything else is useful in keeping tabs on everything.

German rams also love lots of plants, lots if room. They are pretty easy going most of the time. But get really aggressive when breeding.

What makes rams difficult is they are more sensitive then most fish especially to Nitrite. Make sure your tank is cycled, as solid. Even sudden changes in temperature can kill them. Pretty much anything out if their normal can kill them.
I clean my gravel and do a water change once a week. But I test EVERYDAY if my test is off, or I am in doubt I do a water change.

Great philosophy: if your unsure: do a water change.

German rams also love lots of plants, lots if room. They are pretty easy going most of the time. But get really aggressive when breeding.

What makes rams difficult is they are more sensitive then most fish especially to Nitrite. Make sure your tank is cycled, as solid. Even sudden changes in temperature can kill them. Pretty much anything out if their normal can kill them.
I clean my gravel and do a water change once a week. But I test EVERYDAY if my test is off, or I am in doubt I do a water change.

Great philosophy: if your unsure: do a water change.

So I can just water change and it will be all good?

Not entirely , how much do you understand about cycling. PH, water hardness, the ammonia cycle etc.?

I know how to cycle. I can just purchase some peat pellets.
Is water hardness kh?
Kind of don't understand ammonia cycle.
Anything I have to know more?

The ammonia cycle is part of cycling ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate, water change to take out nitrate. KH is alkalinity hardness. GH is water hardness. Hard water is more buffered, meaning it holds the PH better.

Doing water changes is a must. Some resin media, algae, and some plants remove nitrate as well, but doesn't replace water changes.
I say if your not sure, about anything, especially nitrates, like they might be high, might not, I say do a water change.
But it's important that the water going in matches the water already in the tank in PH and Temperature.
Temperature swings, PH swings, and Nitrites/nitrates are the fastest way to kill a Ram. Rams are especially sensitive to Nitrite.

You also want to make sure your new water is free of any chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals.

The ammonia cycle is part of cycling ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate, water change to take out nitrate. KH is alkalinity hardness. GH is water hardness. Hard water is more buffered, meaning it holds the PH better.

Doing water changes is a must. Some resin media, algae, and some plants remove nitrate as well, but doesn't replace water changes.
I say if your not sure, about anything, especially nitrates, like they might be high, might not, I say do a water change.
But it's important that the water going in matches the water already in the tank in PH and Temperature.
Temperature swings, PH swings, and Nitrites/nitrates are the fastest way to kill a Ram. Rams are especially sensitive to Nitrite.

You also want to make sure your new water is free of any chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals.

Dp I have to check kh too? Isn't rams live in soft water?
I think I am ok with nitrates because I am getting a master kit for freshwater.

Yes Rams live in soft water, which makes it harder to have a stable PH. KH is good to know, but if your using the same water source, it doesn't often change.
PH tends to drop the longer it's in the tank.
Sorry, I think I'm over complicating things for you. The important thing is just being consistent.

I have my rams in 8.0 PH, 78. Degree. 150 hardness, and very alkaline water.
In other words my water is very hard, and very alkaline. And they do fine. Because it is consistently like that.

Yes Rams live in soft water, which makes it harder to have a stable PH. KH is good to know, but if your using the same water source, it doesn't often change.
PH tends to drop the longer it's in the tank.
Sorry, I think I'm over complicating things for you. The important thing is just being consistent.

I have my rams in 8.0 PH, 78. Degree. 150 hardness, and very alkaline water.
In other words my water is very hard, and very alkaline. And they do fine. Because it is consistently like that.

What! 8.0? Isn't that too high? Is it a planted tank?

I don't have any live plants. But all of my fish are fine. It's actually probably closer to 7.8 this is my ram tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398446347.526148.jpg

how they were brought up might make a difference too. I lost my first pair of rams that came from Florida. But the ones I got from local breeder are just fine. I guess that has to do with living in 7.8-8 pH of local water for entire life.

how they were brought up might make a difference too. I lost my first pair of rams that came from Florida. But the ones I got from local breeder are just fine. I guess that has to do with living in 7.8-8 pH of local water for entire life.

Yes, exactly. That's what I'm trying to say. Getting their levels ideal isn't as important as being consistent.

Back
Top Bottom