BN Pleco Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will only add 1 BN Pleco to replace the 2 Clowns and I'll be getting rid of the giant 3" GF. That stocking program is great but it (understandably) assumes fully grown fish. I feel like I have to mention again that those GF are not permanent residents. They aren't going to see 5"-6" or even the summer of 2014 in that tank. There is no way two 3" goldfish today are causing my aquarium to be overstocked just because ONE DAY, they will be too big.
You can enter juvi sizes too, it's a box you have to check, than just enter size in inches.

Prime Readings

Brooks,

I literally just read the same FAQ that you likely did on the SeaChem website regarding testing while using Prime.

I feel like I have a handle on it. That message was for Hubert.

He suggested that I carelessly cycled with the Clown's in the tank and was oblivious to Ammonia and nitrite readings as a result and this is why the Clown's died.

I take offense to that. Because I sat on that tank like a mother hen for over 3 weeks.

What I read on the Seachem site is the test will make false POSITIVES. Meaning the test will show an ammonia level HIGHER than actual... not lower like he suggested.

Brooks, I literally just read the same FAQ that you likely did on the SeaChem website regarding testing while using Prime. I feel like I have a handle on it. That message was for Hubert. He suggested that I carelessly cycled with the Clown's in the tank and was oblivious to Ammonia and nitrite readings as a result and this is why the Clown's died. I take offense to that. Because I sat on that tank like a mother hen for over 3 weeks. What I read on the Seachem site is the test will make false POSITIVES. Meaning the test will show an ammonia level HIGHER than actual... not lower like he suggested. I used to see how many posts people had before reading their 'suggestions' but to be honest, I see that frequent posting does not an expert make! :banghead:
I just picked it up when I was learning the game;) I was throwing it out there, not to any one in particular. Fish die for many reasons, Pleco's are little tanks, there is always the chance that they were sick when you got them,parasite? Infection? Who knows.. The fact that they were not eating prior to dying within 48 hrs of each other could hold something..

I'm sorry to all that I was so snippy in this thread. I took pride in my first fast safe cycle due to research, WC's and a LOT of time spent reading and so forth.

When those fish died, I was upset and wanted to find the most likely reason.

I felt like my judgment and attentiveness was being questioned here and there and my replies reflected that.

This site is an awesome resource and collection of experience. I know everyone just wants to help but we just have to keep in mind that not all advice comes from credible sources. Some people just like to see their name in lights! Oopps... there I go again!

Cheers and again, my apologies where apologies are due!

I wouldn't put plecos on any list of hardiest fish. It is difficult to get them to eat st times as well they often come to you with parasites and other ailments. Unless you are sure they were bred well its kind of a crap shoot with them. That's just my experience

Blood Worms with Plecos

Hey guys and girls,

I just came across this blurb on AqAdvisor.com regarding Bloodworms in a community tank.

Begin Quote...

"Blood Worms: Don't feed these if you raise species that are only supposed to live on veggie food. Some of these species include mbuna and some species of pleco. If they eat too much meat food, their intestine will block, ultimately killing them."

I don't know if this applies to Clown Plecos but I will tell you that I have feed both Blood Worms and Brine Shrimp to my fish since I've had the Plecos.

I believe a single frozen cube is too much food for my GF and tetras to each at once so the rest could be up for grabs by the Clown's after dark.

May seem far fetched but I wonder if this is what killed them?!
I would say it's either that or flat out starvation.

Water out of parameters and crowded tank are not likely so it's too much meat, starvation or disease that doesn't show symptoms and only effects Clown Plecos.

No one mentioned that fact and it makes sense so I wanted to pass it along.

(y)

I'm sorry if any of my posts came off as attacking you. I promise I was just trying to help you prevent any problems in the future with an overstocked tank. :)

If your plecos were able to eat bloodworms, that may have been it. Thanks for sharing because I have never read that before.

When you feed them frozen bloodworms, try placing the cube in a small dish of water from the tank. Swish it around a little until the cube thaws out enough and some of the worms fall off. Then you can remove the rest of the cube and refreeze it while dumping the tank water and worms that fell off back in the tank for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom