Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bad, forgot to respond to this part. I think it's okay, but my first attempt went bad. I didn't try emersed growth of aquarium plants, but instead tried to clone some dwarf citrus stems. It's super hot here in AZ still and my garage is like an oven.. This is where I setup the grow tank. 5 out of 6 stems, all dwarf citrus (calamondin) dried up and turned brown. The one stem still green and going is a stem from a full-size lemon tree. Think I'll try some dwarf baby tears this weekend in there. Might need to up the humidity in the cube and ventilation.

Your propagation plants look great! How long is your photoperiod?

Ah bugger! Atleast one is still going strong [emoji16] I've got a 10 hour photo period with the 50w LED spotlight and it's at a constant 20 degrees Celsius. The hairgrass is struggling abit but I can see a few runners so I'm hopeful. HC on one side has dried out and died but the center ones are going great [emoji106]

Wish I had your weather. It's like 44 to 45 Celsius here! Next month, we should be cooling down. ?

Happy Friday everyone!! Not so happy for my tank tho.. it appears I am under attack by the vicious BGA! hate this stuff!! [emoji35]

36855523660_8a53cbbb80_b.jpg

On another note, my 12g long will be arriving on the 19th. Thinking of some scapes and how I'm going to implement my canister in the provided space. As you can see from the attached photo, I have two Ikea storage shelves with no room to put the canister except to the side, which has considerable travel space for tubes if I center the tank. I'm thinking if I go this route, I want the vinyl tubing to go straight up, then with the help of 90° elbow connectors, have the tubing take a sharp right, and then sharp turn upwards to get the lily pipes situated nicely and straight on the tank. Then hide the tubes and canister with decor and/ or plants. I grabbed any mr aqua 12g long photo from Google (credit to original tank owner for the borrow) and i superimposed it here for visual sake. Did a little doodling (with my Note8)... thoughts?

You guys think with a pair of barbed elbow connectors will I lose too much throughput from the canister flow?

37081797372_b08fa01c9e_b.jpg

I am considering an option B for filtration, which either a single (s15 or s20) or dual (s10) Marina slim HOB's) and my Eheim Skim 350.

With option A will be a frosted glass white background. Option B will be a black background to help disguise the HOB filter(s). What you guys think? Sorry for the long post! [emoji12]

Last edited:
What about the bendable hose like python - only could go bigger diameter if needed. Used all the time in SW??

Wow, can't wait to see the new tank!!! Happy Friday and weekend!

Wouldn't worry about the cut down on flow, I've got a reactor running 3 90 degree bends and it's a minimal loss to be honest [emoji106]

I could not find any 90 degree curved or long sweep elbows for that pipe diameter (only the sharp elbows).
I do like option A in that you can use a translucent background. I have seen folks provide back lighting to those to create interesting effects.

I could not find any 90 degree curved or long sweep elbows for that pipe diameter (only the sharp elbows).
I do like option A in that you can use a translucent background. I have seen folks provide back lighting to those to create interesting effects.
Yeah an RGB led light behind to create a sunset feel for photos would be cool. Thanks for the idea.

Each 90 will hinder flow a bit. Otherwise it looks nice nice!
Thanks.. I suppose a little reduction wouldn't hurt.
What about the bendable hose like python - only could go bigger diameter if needed. Used all the time in SW??

Wow, can't wait to see the new tank!!! Happy Friday and weekend!
I'm going to head to home depot this weekend to see what I find. I know some folks hack some Eheim pipes for more rounded less abrupt turns.. perhaps this helps with flow better for those turns. Never thought about python tubes.. are those the same as the vinyl tubbing?
Wouldn't worry about the cut down on flow, I've got a reactor running 3 90 degree bends and it's a minimal loss to be honest [emoji106]
What type of elbows are you using?

Thanks.. I suppose a little reduction wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to head to home depot this weekend to see what I find. I know some folks hack some Eheim pipes for more rounded less abrupt turns.. perhaps this helps with flow better for those turns. Never thought about python tubes.. are those the same as the vinyl tubbing?

What type of elbows are you using?

I just used the normal connections u use for garden irrigation. Haven't even needed to clamp them [emoji16] here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

http://pho.to/AnbTR

Even with the water change valves it doesn't seem to reduce flow much. I thought I had a 90 in the right corner there but I just bent the pipe lol oops! [emoji23]

Finally stopped being lazy for a quick minute and busted out the real camera with a 30mm f/2 lens.. :)

FTS:

37113464141_47c36dd1e9_b.jpg

Close ups of the Dragon in his lair.. Lol

36441879733_840f686622_b.jpg

36441881523_23ff560c21_b.jpg

36441878253_86deb48feb_b.jpg

And his tankmates:

36418246744_ee2d3edb46_b.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Thanks for following :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That tank is looking AMAZING!

How is the Ohko stone? The lfs had some really great looking big chunks!!!

How is it with the pH? Is it really flaky? The stones at the lfs time before last time seems like they would be eternally coming off in flaky pieces. I didn't touch them this time but am probably going tomorrow and might just check them out!

How is the Ohko stone? My lfs had some really great looking big chunks!!!

How is it with the pH? Is it really flaky? The stones at the lfs time before last time seems like they would be eternally coming off in flaky pieces. Didn't have much in stock then either.

Didn't handle them a couple days ago when I was there but am probably going tomorrow and might just check them out!

Last edited:

How is the Ohko stone? The lfs had some really great looking big chunks!!!

How is it with the pH? Is it really flaky? The stones at the lfs time before last time seems like they would be eternally coming off in flaky pieces. I didn't touch them this time but am probably going tomorrow and might just check them out!
Hi Autumn, much appreciated for the compliment.

Initially, the ohko will have a few flaky pieces that are just a tad fragile due to breaking them into smaller portions. But overall, I got my set years ago and for the most part, most pieces are as sturdy as the day I got them. They'll last a lifetime. Heck, you can pass them down to your grandchildren one day!!! Haha... I'm not sure how much your LFS has them for, but buying online is spendy! Here's where I got mine: https://aquaticmag.com/store/layout-materials/rocks/ohko-stone-10lbs/

So if you can get them for a great price or if the hefty price tag is palatable, I say go for it! There's no other stones like these that I know of.. They have so much character!

I haven't tested my pH as I'm not keeping any touchy fauna. However, at the time I initially researched them, I read in numerous shrimp threads that it doesn't impact the chemistry. Yamaya stone is another. However, Seiryu stone will raise pH and hardness to a degree.

In another chain of events, the eagle has landed! Thankfully in one piece, thanks to the fantastic packaging! First time ordering from Bulk Reef Supply :)

36525729593_0ba57db3c0_b.jpg

36525753813_5bbc81ae85_b.jpg

I'll be starting the build on her own page soon.

The stones were a good price $3.49 p/pound, I have seen them for 4.99 and a long time back for much, much more, and of course no shipping cost. The stone I wanted was $96 ~27lbs, the other 2 were $62/64 ~17.25 lbs and more. Unfortunately not in the budget at this time.

Thank you for letting me know about how strong they are and that they will probably last a very long time. This will help me in consideration of how much money to spend on them in the future. They did seem hard and not chalky.

Back
Top Bottom