Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glass thickness: 8mm
Dimensions: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4"

The tank is shallow and offers little depth, but nonetheless a very interesting footprint and aquascaping potential. The 12g Long thread in TPT is 128 pages long - so there's a good amount of ideas to explore! LOL... I use to have something similar with the ADA 60F, which offered more depth but way less height. However, the Ex took that tank. I thought about getting another 60F, but this time I opted for this. It felt good unloading an older tank and light fixture to pay only $10 for this tank shipped to me, I must say :)

Upon inspection, the tank is near flawless. Excellent silicone work with one minor excess silicone application on the bottom glass seam. Nothing major at all, just nitpicking at this point. Are you still considering getting one of these?

I am looking for the right home to display my PRL shrimp. They are in a 12G Edge and it is fine, there is a long story about the tank and I will not go into it here you can check out my watering hole thread and I can go into it more there but I don't think you will be bored out of your mind any time soon with the new tank, lol.

I just recalled after I measured the ledge I was thinking about it for and it is too narrow/ tank too wide. But it looks so nice, I have always appreciated this shape tank and its been about 5 years. That was with average glass, with the low iron, it is so very stunning ;)

Probably not looking at it for some time, if at all. I have the 90G Bowfront to decide on right now, hate having a tank sitting in my garage empty!!!

Your new tank is a beauty, that's for sure!

The 90g bow front, you're thinking of setting it up or selling it? A 12g long would be nice to display your shrimp for sure. What other species of shrimp do you have? I'm going to opt for shrimp I think for this 12g. I have fire red neo's in my 3g long. I want something different but not too difficult to keep.

Love that eagle. You can kill it, make it looks like a 6' tank with your photog skillz!

Finally stopped being lazy for a quick minute and busted out the real camera with a 30mm f/2 lens.. :)

FTS:

37113464141_47c36dd1e9_b.jpg

Close ups of the Dragon in his lair.. Lol

36441879733_840f686622_b.jpg

36441881523_23ff560c21_b.jpg

36441878253_86deb48feb_b.jpg

And his tankmates:

36418246744_ee2d3edb46_b.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Thanks for following :)

Very beautiful!

Thanks guys.. I'll start the new journal thread on that tank this weekend..

Anyways, stopped at the petco on the way home from work and found an interesting tissue culture specimen.. With the recent failed attempt at the cyperus helferi TS, I was a bit apprehensive to buy this. But given that it was the only one and I haven't seen this in any other petco/smart, let alone LFS's, I said what the heck for $9.99, when I recall seeing plants going for $30 to $50. Drum roll.... Buce sp. Green!

Any tips on growing this? Does it grow at the same rate as anubias? Will the co2 and moderate lighting be okay if I added this to grow out in this tank until later for the 12g long?

37167273136_ced5951bd2_b.jpg

90G bowfront is a new addition a couple weeks ago bought it for 200, and stand, overflows and the 48" Current Orbit Marine with pro-timer too, forgot about that. I am already out of my league and out of the comfort zone too, lol.

I have sold off the shrimp that I had previously, had a few Tangerine Tigers left but none any longer. I am paring down # of tanks so only one shrimp tank and been waiting for these PRL for a very long time. Saw some for sale maybe 4 years ago but was scared I would kill them as a shrimp boob back then.

As for the options of shrimp there are so many to choose from now! Even from 5 1/2 years ago when I started, the selections are pretty amazing.

The Ruby Reds are pretty nice.

I can not say enough about the CRS of PRL. They just pop in a tank: on dark substrate, on green plants, dark DW, multi colored stones - pop!

The Tangerine Tigers were amazing colored shrimp, up close though was what was needed to appreciate them, same with the dark Blue Velvets, very beautiful shrimp. Problem was having tank which looked like it was empty of life from across the room on the couch, of even 5 feet away!

Which ones have been catching your eye?

I saw a variety the other day at the lfs in their tank on the check out counter, which reminded me of a yellow snowball shrimp it was opaque yellow tint - buttery color they said maybe a sunkist or sunshine shrimp. People call things any ole name, sunkist used to be clear orange shrimp so I really can't say for sure. There was just one and the clerk called it a sunshine and the other guy that walked over to see what we were looking at called it sunkist - maybe sun kissed??? lol

Wow the 90g would be out of my comfort zone too.. I'd like a huge tank, but it would probably be for large fish or discus planted tank.

For shrimp, I used to have tangerine tigers, those were cool. I liked them because they were hardy for a caridina species. Other then them, I've only kept these fire reds and red rili. I think unless i can find an attractive caridina sp. that's hardy, but different than the tangerine tigers, I may just stick to Neos.. I get lazy sometimes and because I don't have a RO/DI filter, it'll be a pain getting water to keep up with the low TDS and pH/kH and special diet for CRS and OEBT and the alike. I'd be okay mixing 50% tap with RO.. But not as often that's most ideal.

For neos, I do like the yellow or the blue jelly. Maybe another rili color. If I don't go yellow, perhaps I can do blue jellies and tangerine tigers? I dunno.. Lol

Thinking one of these neos:
2017-09-21-00-31-31-.jpg

56c7913385aef83f13e42e85428096ae.jpg

images-2.jpg

And one of these cardina sp.
tiger-shrimp.jpg

Thanks guys.. I'll start the new journal thread on that tank this weekend..

Anyways, stopped at the petco on the way home from work and found an interesting tissue culture specimen.. With the recent failed attempt at the cyperus helferi TS, I was a bit apprehensive to buy this. But given that it was the only one and I haven't seen this in any other petco/smart, let alone LFS's, I said what the heck for $9.99, when I recall seeing plants going for $30 to $50. Drum roll.... Buce sp. Green!

Any tips on growing this? Does it grow at the same rate as anubias? Will the co2 and moderate lighting be okay if I added this to grow out in this tank until later for the 12g long?

37167273136_ced5951bd2_b.jpg

I bought that same thing a couple weeks ago. As far as I've heard, it's very similar to Anubias, though apparently the can melt like crypts in some cases. Mine in particular is attached to a rock in my very very low tech shrimp tank. Doesn't even get ferts for the most part. It is doing amazingly well so far, the leaves are all nice and green and no melt at all. But I saw someone else's on another site that they bought at about the same time as me, and it pretty much lost all its leaves.

I bought that same thing a couple weeks ago. As far as I've heard, it's very similar to Anubias, though apparently the can melt like crypts in some cases. Mine in particular is attached to a rock in my very very low tech shrimp tank. Doesn't even get ferts for the most part. It is doing amazingly well so far, the leaves are all nice and green and no melt at all. But I saw someone else's on another site that they bought at about the same time as me, and it pretty much lost all its leaves.
Good to know.. I wonder why yours did well and the other person's didn't. I'll take it out of its TS container tonight and tie it to some lace rock... Hopefully it'll go well.

In other news, I noticed my fight with BGA is going to be weekly. I spot treated with h2o2 last week and manually removed as much as possible with a turkey baster and then with a siphon during last week's PWC. Today I see it coming back like no other. I even see a patch of my S. Repens dying.. Not sure if that's related but it looks diseased as if the brown is spreading.

20170921_204545-756x1008.jpg

Anyone use this UltraLife stuff? Looks like it works for some folks and the reviews are good.

SmartSelectImage_2017-09-20-15-23-30.jpg

Here's a photo from the reviews section on the Amazon product page for UltraLife.. The before and after of the BGA removal is compelling.

SmartSelectImage_2017-09-20-15-25-52-535x536.jpg

Last edited:
Feeling your pain with the BGA, I've been fighting it off myself lol I ditched the plant it started on (was only a crypt parva) and I've been nuking it with h2o2 every time it pops up out of the substrate at the front of the tank.

I've also put black tape all around the bottom of the tank to cover the substrate from light (where the BGA started) hoping it will kill it off. This was suggested by caliban07 and I thought it was a great idea [emoji106]

It's slowed up a heap so I'm confident

Oh and I'm extremely jealous of that new 12g! It's exactly what I want for my next tank! Are u going to have any plants growing emersed out the top?

Thanks Bert and Delapool.. I just ordered the UltraLife after reading more reviews and skimming a few threads on TPT.. Looks like it works for many folks with BGA. Hopefully it'll work for me! Just seen this YouTube review, looks legit.

https://youtu.be/IsdbShEx9PU

Back
Top Bottom