Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's super cool, Bert! LMK if it works. What tank is getting the re-scape?

Will keep you posted [emoji106] the Ada will be getting a revamp [emoji16] I stuffed up with the current scape and didn't realise untill a few weeks ago lol. The island I've made in the middle of the tank isn't centeral and rubs my OCD up the wrong way [emoji23] I'm thinking majority carpet and small form plants with a large rise of lava rocks [emoji16]

Well, I was like 90% sure I was going to swap the Willow Hygro for Eleocharis vivipara (giant hairgrass), I got a little disparaged to that idea when I got reminded about runners.. So instead, I picked up Cyperus Helferi, which I think will look just as good and with the advantage of no runners [emoji106]

Plus I didn't want to pass up the 20% off due to a few brown leaves with plenty of viable healthy green specimens still present.
View attachment 303088

Nice idea on no runners! I used to like val but since it is gone, don't miss the runners it used to send out.

That's a nice packing box! I've never seen those here, I just buy a punnet of something sitting in a tank at any of the shops.

Well, I was like 90% sure I was going to swap the Willow Hygro for Eleocharis vivipara (giant hairgrass), I got a little disparaged to that idea when I got reminded about runners.. So instead, I picked up Cyperus Helferi, which I think will look just as good and with the advantage of no runners [emoji106]

Plus I didn't want to pass up the 20% off due to a few brown leaves with plenty of viable healthy green specimens still present.
View attachment 303088
I had that years back in my old 40b, it went ballastic, got hugeee! Bba magnet for some reason??

Will keep you posted [emoji106] the Ada will be getting a revamp [emoji16] I stuffed up with the current scape and didn't realise untill a few weeks ago lol. The island I've made in the middle of the tank isn't centeral and rubs my OCD up the wrong way [emoji23] I'm thinking majority carpet and small form plants with a large rise of lava rocks [emoji16]
Sweet.. I'll be on the lookout. Nothing like a good rescape to inject new excitement!

Nice idea on no runners! I used to like val but since it is gone, don't miss the runners it used to send out.

That's a nice packing box! I've never seen those here, I just buy a punnet of something sitting in a tank at any of the shops.
Yeah I was the same way too.. I remember my LFS, a speciality shop above all others in this area because they have amazing aquascaped planted display tanks (including ADA), used to sell downoi crowns for $20 a pop. The tissue culture is so amazing for us hobbyist. One of these packs yielded 50+ crowns for me, disease and pest free. Spectacular. But wow, didn't realize you're in Australia! I've been toying with the idea of moving there. 2 of my friends did it and love it.

But wow, didn't realize you're in Australia! I've been toying with the idea of moving there. 2 of my friends did it and love it.

Forgot to add my only deterrence to that idea is the possibility of one of these waiting for me tho! It's like a freakin' face-hugger from the Alien movies! Haha20170828_104106.jpg

^^^ Add to that some of the most poisonous snakes, jellyfish, and octopi in the world. Wallabies are cute, though.

Haha Aus really isn't that bad ;) huntsman can't bite through skin and most of our snakes are harmless unless in mating season or you suprise them ;) I live in the bush in Aus and have had a few run ins with tiger snakes and they are more scared of you than you are of them ;) but yes we do have some pretty intense animals haha [emoji23][emoji16]

It's the brown snake u want to watch out for, they will have a real good go at you. Dela is in western Aus so the main issue there would be sharks [emoji23][emoji16][emoji106]

Edit: fun fact: if you scratch under a male wallabies chin your hands will smell like curry powder [emoji16][emoji23]

Haha Aus really isn't that bad ;) huntsman can't bite through skin and most of our snakes are harmless unless in mating season or you suprise them ;) I live in the bush in Aus and have had a few run ins with tiger snakes and they are more scared of you than you are of them ;) but yes we do have some pretty intense animals haha [emoji23][emoji16]

It's the brown snake u want to watch out for, they will have a real good go at you. Dela is in western Aus so the main issue there would be sharks [emoji23][emoji16][emoji106]

Edit: fun fact: if you scratch under a male wallabies chin your hands will smell like curry powder [emoji16][emoji23]

Safe from crocodiles though :)

Yeah guess I'll just stick to our rattle snakes and scorpions in AZ for now..

Meanwhile, I planted the Cyperus Helferi in a few locations because that little pack had like 10+ plants. Although some do appear to be melting, while some look like they'll make it. Did a quick PWC tonight. Think I'll be ready to stock this tank soon, but I'll run some water tests this weekend first. Tank is a bit cloudy from the cleanup.

FTS:
20170830_225655.jpg
20170830_225720.jpg

Also, my Riccia took a turn for the worse. I spot treated adjacent sand, plants, and some stones with h2o2.. What little drifted to them must have caused some harm :(

20170830_225730.jpg

Oh forgot to add, I trimmed the HC a bit too for the first time since flooding the tank. Think I'll emerse grow the cuttings in my mini green house.

Last edited:
Looks great! Loving the layout. Carpets spreading out nicely, A++ [emoji106]

Quick update... Everything looks pretty much the same, HC grew in from the last trim, so I'll be mowing again this weekend. As for the Cyperus Helferi, the tissue culture didn't survive and all died :( guess I'll be going for Eleocharis*vivipara*after all.

On another note.. I sold an Imaginarium AIO 6.2g tank (low light planted) and a light fixture recently. So with the proceeds, I pulled the trigger on the Mr. Aqua 12g Long (in the Low Iron glass variant) from BRS.. With their $5 off coupon, I came out of pocket for a whopping $11 shipped for me!! Now I don't feel as bad with my newly rekindled MTS addictions. Haha.. So I'll be starting another journal on the 12g long in the near future. :)

Last edited:
Quick update... Everything looks pretty much the same, HC grew in from the last trim, so I'll be mowing again this weekend. As for the Cyperus Helferi, the tissue culture didn't survive and all died :( guess I'll be going for Eleocharis*vivipara*after all.

On another note.. I sold an Imaginarium AIO 6.2g tank (low light planted) and a light fixture recently. So with the proceeds, I pulled the trigger on the Mr. Aqua 12g Long (in the Low Iron glass variant) from BRS.. With their $5 off coupon, I came out of pocket for a whopping $11 shipped for me!! Now I don't feel as bad with my newly rekindled MTS addictions. Haha.. So I'll be starting another journal on the 12g long in the near future. :)

Jealous! I've been looking at a similar tank for ages, the fireaqua bookshelf 900x300x210mm I want t sell off the wife's 55g cause she's slack with looking after it but I haven't been able to convince her yet and I think 5 tanks would be to much to handle lol

They look amazing with iwaguami (spelling?) style scapes! Can't wait to see what you do with it [emoji106]

Edit: how's the propagator going? Mines working perfectly! I'll almost have to sell off these lobelia cardinalis lol getting out of control ! http://pho.to/AnV9W

Jealous! I've been looking at a similar tank for ages, the fireaqua bookshelf 900x300x210mm I want t sell off the wife's 55g cause she's slack with looking after it but I haven't been able to convince her yet and I think 5 tanks would be to much to handle lol

They look amazing with iwaguami (spelling?) style scapes! Can't wait to see what you do with it [emoji106]

Edit: how's the propagator going? Mines working perfectly! I'll almost have to sell off these lobelia cardinalis lol getting out of control ! http://pho.to/AnV9W
Lol... If there's a will there's a way! :)

I don't think I'm ready, let alone disciplined for a pure iwagumi. I have an inclination to get more than a few species of plants.. Perhaps not on the initial go of this tank, but maybe when I'm ready for a recape! Haha.. For now, however, I'd like to try something with some crazy gnarly driftwood, such as spiderwood and/or manzanita in conjunction with some yamya or seiryu stone at the base.. I'd like the wood to break the surface for an emersed view. I picture lots of greens, like moss on DW.. Around the base, I'd go with blyxa japonica, downoi, maybe crypt parva... I also have some anubias micro for DW placement. For carpeting, I'd like to give UG another go.

I think for the DW breaking the surface, I might add some small bromeliad tillandsia species..

Here's some pics I like that are ATM, inspiration.

downloadfile.jpg
20170913_140115.jpg
tapatalk_1505034221560.jpg

Last edited:
My bad, forgot to respond to this part. I think it's okay, but my first attempt went bad. I didn't try emersed growth of aquarium plants, but instead tried to clone some dwarf citrus stems. It's super hot here in AZ still and my garage is like an oven.. This is where I setup the grow tank. 5 out of 6 stems, all dwarf citrus (calamondin) dried up and turned brown. The one stem still green and going is a stem from a full-size lemon tree. Think I'll try some dwarf baby tears this weekend in there. Might need to up the humidity in the cube and ventilation.

Your propagation plants look great! How long is your photoperiod?

Back
Top Bottom