Bristlenose breeding tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've tried getting my bristlenose to breed with no success so far. My female looks pretty prime and my male was chasing her around the breeding tank two days ago. She entered his cave but no eggs.. :(
Now she won't go near him and all the chasing has stopped.
I've also tried her with another larger male but also no success.
Both males fanned their asses off for her too.
I've tried dropping water temp, colder water changes to drop it 2 degrees Celsius from 26c to 24c.
Also did this at the beginning of a storm.
There is always a fresh supply of bloodworm, zucchini, pumpkin, or veggie/algae wafer available to them.
I also have a piece of well used driftwood in there. And have added a little brackish water from another of my tanks with similar water conditions.
Ph is 6.7-6.9. Gh 5-6. ammonia 0
I'm doing 30% water changes every second day.
What am I doing wrong?

FwA said:
I've tried getting my bristlenose to breed with no success so far. My female looks pretty prime and my male was chasing her around the breeding tank two days ago. She entered his cave but no eggs.. :(
Now she won't go near him and all the chasing has stopped.
I've also tried her with another larger male but also no success.
Both males fanned their asses off for her too.
I've tried dropping water temp, colder water changes to drop it 2 degrees Celsius from 26c to 24c.
Also did this at the beginning of a storm.
There is always a fresh supply of bloodworm, zucchini, pumpkin, or veggie/algae wafer available to them.
I also have a piece of well used driftwood in there. And have added a little brackish water from another of my tanks with similar water conditions.
Ph is 6.7-6.9. Gh 5-6. ammonia 0
I'm doing 30% water changes every second day.
What am I doing wrong?

I have no idea but there's a member here Toddnbecka he breeds them all the time you could pm him.

A pic of the tank setup.

Attachments

• image-1231279383.jpg
    image-1231279383.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image-4106055519.jpg
    image-4106055519.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 169
Get a powerhead and direct it so that there is a flow towards the entrance of his cave.

I change the tank around a little two days ago. Directed the filter flow onto the cave and repositioned the caves to get better viewing without disturbing them.
Anyways. My male has been chasing the female around like crazy today and he is even blocking her in her own cave.
But she quickly rushes out and hides under the filter and he goes back to his own cave. I have included a picture of him at the mouth of her cave. All fins up and wiggling around like mad. Never seen this before.
She still shows no interest tho :(
(pic is taken fully zoomed in as not to get close and disturb them. Sorry for bad quality)

Attachments

• image-3593603646.jpg
    image-3593603646.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 147
I would add a couple more caves, then change the water 25 to 30% with RO water to simulate a large rain, this should send them into a tizzy

Thankyou. I'll try it out. Any more advice appreciated

How old is the female? I know with some other breeds the female won't have anything to do with the male until she's reached full maturity. Not sure if this applies to bn's though?

Hi, I'm no expert when it comes to bristle nose plecos but I have successfully breed mine now 3 times, well i say I have but I didn't really do anything. But what I have found usefull is having 3 females to 1 male and eventually he paired up with one of the females. So what I'm saying is maybe get another couple of females as it sounds like your female might need a bit of competition to get her in the mood lol

Lol I was worried someone would say that. I have another 5 little guys I bought a month ago all at about 4cm now. Still waiting for them to mature. Til then, guessing its a waiting game. Lol

Ok. So I look in there today and there is a massive clump of eggs right up the back of his cave and one nackered looking female still hanging around the outside. I only got a quick peek as not to disturb him too much and risk him start throwing eggs out as I've heard it can do?
He is very busy in there fanning his *** off. Lol!

So as it turns out. No matter how much I researched, its more just a case of just letting nature take its course. :)

So.... What's next? Should I do anything special? When do I remove the female from the breeding tank and return her to her main tank? It is only her and her male friend in there. Can I just keep her in there?

Just noticed the female went back into the cave? What do I do? Is this normal? :s

FwA said:
Ok. So I look in there today and there is a massive clump of eggs right up the back of his cave and one nackered looking female still hanging around the outside. I only got a quick peek as not to disturb him too much and risk him start throwing eggs out as I've heard it can do?
He is very busy in there fanning his *** off. Lol!

So as it turns out. No matter how much I researched, its more just a case of just letting nature take its course. :)

So.... What's next? Should I do anything special? When do I remove the female from the breeding tank and return her to her main tank? It is only her and her male friend in there. Can I just keep her in there?

Congrats

Got impatient. Lol. Here's a pic of dad and his eggs :) hope u all enjoy!

Attachments

• image-1465869846.jpg
    image-1465869846.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom