Brown algea during first cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm cycling my tank for the first time and aware that BA is normal during this time. What i would like to know is that will it dissipate by itself or will I have to wait for the clean-up is in place? What kind of crew would be good and approx how many do i need?

Lot of online places have size of tanks vs clean up amounts and types. that will give you a good idea.

The diatom stage will pass naturally without assistance as the NO3, PO4 and silicates are burned off. When your levels approach 0 for Ammo & trIte it would be a good time to do a 50% water change if your trAtes are high and then order a clean up crew. My favorite vendor for that is Reeftopia.com.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm am a little hesitant to order from the US due to customs possibly holding the shipment. Duties can be high as well.

The BA could also be due to overfeeding, but if it's your first cycle, then that's not an issue.

Check your LFS, mine sells a kit that can cycle a new tank in 1 week. When I did mine (8 years ago) I had to wait 3 months before putting Damsels in!!

I've just setup my 155g and I have some BA, but it should go away with time. If you find it taking over, then do weekly water changes (about 10%) until it resolves.

I was going to say steve-s may know of some place good to get a cleaning crew in CA but he is on the opposite coast.

Back
Top Bottom