Bubble Nest...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
When a male betta makes a bubble nest, does it mean that he's ready to breed?

Yes it is their instinct to keep their eggs in the nests until they hatch. When you breed bettas you remove the female and leave the male with the eggs until they are fry.

I haven't bred them but I have read about them. I would say that yes, it means he could breed. Fish who make bubble-nests will do so even if they are solitary. You've probably either got the right conditions or you've been feeding him a high protein diet. Maybe both!

Although I've also read that you shouldn't just introduce a female in to your main tank. Your best bet is to move him to another, smaller tank and let him make it there then drop in the female.

Oh, and I would say from what I have read to avoid breeding them, because they are expensive and difficult to raise. Perfect conditions, very high quality tank water, the correct food are all vital for their early development.

I can't help you past that. With another bubble-nester, the dwarf Gouarmi, it is recommended to put the female into the tank first so that it becomes her territory and the male has to abide by that. If the male goes in first he may kill her as she enters 'his territory'. I don't know if this applies to bettas.

I'm not saying I want to breed them. I was just wondering if it was "normal" behavior. I have another male and haven't seen him do this. Thanks for all the advice

Hmm hopefully he will. In my experience a happy betta makes bubble nests. Mine often get all excited and build one on water change day :)

siva said:
Hmm hopefully he will. In my experience a happy betta makes bubble nests. Mine often get all excited and build one on water change day :)

That's good to know since I just rehomed our betta to a bigger community tank. I was worried it was a defense mechanism because he was not happy. He likes to hide and wedge himself under the heaters suction cup a lot and that worries me some.

That's good to know since I just rehomed our betta to a bigger community tank. I was worried it was a defense mechanism because he was not happy. He likes to hide and wedge himself under the heaters suction cup a lot and that worries me some.

Yeah that's great..usually they settle in for a while before doing that! They do like to lay down in secure places. The hiding should be fine, as long as he is not hiding all of the time, that would indicate he is too stressed for community living. But bubble nests are a good sign that he isn't under stress so I wouldn't worry. What other fish do you have him with? I think I might finally try to add a male to a community. I'm scared though :confused:

siva said:
Yeah that's great..usually they settle in for a while before doing that! They do like to lay down in secure places. The hiding should be fine, as long as he is not hiding all of the time, that would indicate he is too stressed for community living. But bubble nests are a good sign that he isn't under stress so I wouldn't worry. What other fish do you have him with? I think I might finally try to add a male to a community. I'm scared though :confused:

I have hiding/resting places but he does like to be there quite often and it has only been a couple days. We have a shoal of Cardinal Tetras, a 1/2 dozen ghost shrimp and a black shelled mystery snail.

The tetras were a bit of a worry that they might nip Elvis' fins, but so far so good. Of course when one went to check out a ghost shrimp, it got boxed in the nose and now knows better lol.

Ok..I think that's still fine for now. One of my males hid almost all day, every day, for his first 10 days I think it was, and he was in his own tank. He still needs more time to settle in :)

I think I might try cardinals as well. Yet another thing I'd have to order. But maybe they'd actually live unlike my neon tetras that I'm constantly replacing.

siva said:
Ok..I think that's still fine for now. One of my males hid almost all day, every day, for his first 10 days I think it was, and he was in his own tank. He still needs more time to settle in :)

I think I might try cardinals as well. Yet another thing I'd have to order. But maybe they'd actually live unlike my neon tetras that I'm constantly replacing.

I had die off with the first Cards I got because they were fresh caught. I went to a place that has farm raised and they're doing really good, so IME it has made a big difference.

Yeah, I figure a week to 10 days to see how he does. Keeping his old tank going just in case.

Back
Top Bottom