Bullseye!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've every right to believe as you wish.

I'm not, and neither is anyone else, running you out of your thread.
I'm not being mean, I'm being forward and direct, I've no intent to harass/bully, I'm here to discuss, debunk, challenge, educate & learn.

My personality is brusque, non-Politically Correct and aggressive, I may rub ya the wrong way, but my intention(s) aren't to be a A'hole.

No, I'm not satisfied.

Very strange timing for this story since the episode on River Monsters featuring the The Bullseye snakehead was on again today.

The part of the story regarding the shooting of the fish is by far the biggest bunch of bs I've heard in a long time.

ChileRelleno, you have a beautiful family...and a SWEET 1911! The picture would look more threatening with a bullet in it, or at least in the mag, but probably not the best idea if someone is behind the camera lol. What manufacturer is that?

kdogg85, that is certainly a crazy story! If the police actually shot them I would be more worried about having trigger happy police than the fish! I absolutely LOVE firearms, but that seems pretty irresponsible as well as inconsiderate to shoot fish at 3am. Ah well, thanks for the story, I was entertained! Entertainment is good when you're deployed!

Very strange timing for this story since the episode on River Monsters featuring the The Bullseye snakehead was on again today.

The part of the story regarding the shooting of the fish is by far the biggest bunch of bs I've heard in a long time.

Why does everyone have to attack someone and call them a liar? Police do a lot of irresponsible things. I find it hard to believe but that doesn't mean I am going to call the guy a liar, besides some lies make for a better story! Ever go fishing with your friends and not catch anything, and then when you get back you all tell that one guy that didn't go stories about how it was the best trip ever? Movies aren't realistic either but The Hurtlocker still got all kinds of awards and crap!

SGT, US Army EOD

Somebody fill me in on this river monsters thing,it's not like the hunt for big fish is it? Like I said if you don't believe it fine, I don't expect you too. It's crazy I know but weird things happen and this happened only my neighborhood,the cops,twra, and the good lord know about it so far.

ChileRelleno, you have a beautiful family...and a SWEET 1911! The picture would look more threatening with a bullet in it, or at least in the mag, but probably not the best idea if someone is behind the camera lol. What manufacturer is that?

kdogg85, that is certainly a crazy story! If the police actually shot them I would be more worried about having trigger happy police than the fish! I absolutely LOVE firearms, but that seems pretty irresponsible as well as inconsiderate to shoot fish at 3am. Ah well, thanks for the story, I was entertained! Entertainment is good when you're deployed!
Thank you and thank you.
No mag, no bullets, checked/cleared three times, safety engaged, pointed in safe direction and camera on tri-pod with remote switch.
Colt Commander, iirc dom 1968, .45acp, 7+1.

I like the commander! I have a Rock Island Armory (Armscor made in the Phillipines) and I LOVE it! I have a couple 8+1 magazines. That is pretty funny that two greens came out to three sets of blues lol. I also like your oscar. I had a couple in my 75g before I deployed and those are some COOL fish! I really like the predators though. Can't have much else in the tank with an oscar though lol.

When I hit a herd of cattle with my car (they were in my road I wasn't in their field) I had 2 state troopers eagerly searching the field for "wounded cows" with itchy trigger fingers just dying to put the beast out of their misery. I have absolutely no problem believing that they shot the fish.

When I hit a herd of cattle with my car (they were in my road I wasn't in their field) I had 2 state troopers eagerly searching the field for "wounded cows" with itchy trigger fingers just dying to put the beast out of their misery. I have absolutely no problem believing that they shot the fish.

that situation is a bit different, though. the fish had been surviving in the tank for 5 years apparently, so there was no immediate threat to them or anyone else. a wounded cow would just sit there and suffer or bleed to death. the only humane thing to do would be to put it out of it's misery. however, grabbing some fish out of a tank and shooting them in the middle of the night does not sound just or humane. if this was the case, they should have contacted animal control who could have taken care of the fish properly...i don't know how that would be but taking them out back and putting a bullet in them (especially at 3am) is just....weird!

Bullseye snakeheads are beautiful fish, if it weren't for irresponsible aquarists and food proprietors i would have a tank of them.

I just watched River Mosters yesterday, and they were talking about how bad the snakeheads were. I can tell you I would not want to be near one! They are vicious!!!

Barracuda are vicious too but I would have one if I could afford a tank that large. One of my favorite fish I have ever had was a pair of needle nose gar. Some day I will build a 6 wide FW aquarium and own some more of them! They were so cool! And those things are swimming mouths with unparalleled speed from what I have seen. I would love to have some snakeheads, but everyone in this hobby has their own idea of what makes a fish tank cool, which is what makes this hobby so interesting.

I think they are cool, because I like their finnage, but they are SO agressive, and can jump and live out of the water for around 3 days. You would need to put a padlock on your tank LOL.

I just watched River Mosters yesterday, and they were talking about how bad the snakeheads were. I can tell you I would not want to be near one! They are vicious!!! Vicious towards prey.
I think they are cool, because I like their finnage, but they are SO agressive, and can jump and live out of the water for around 3 days. False You would need to put a padlock on your tank LOL.
After all the facts I linked earlier which disprove exactly such sensationalism, hype & fear mongering, put together by a program called 'River Monsters' and mass misinformation media...
You still believe all that? Seriously?

Wow, I'm on a fish forum where fish keepers are supposed to come to learn the facts about different species, their care/feeding and maintaining all forms of aquaria in general.
And the misinformation is passed from TV to forums... Mind boggling.

I've done a little reading and what I can make is they are a very aggressive predator. Eat,poop,sleep like everything else. But, I did read they can become the apex predator just about anywhere they go. I don't really know of anything around my area besides gar(and that's a long shot) that could go toe to toe with them. Says they are extremley fast when they strike. So to me they sound pretty efficient at what they do. Wouldn't want to be near one. Alive anyway

i saw a documentary on those types of fish earilier this week. that would so scare me! it's a good thing nobody got hurt. i know how kids like to stick their little fingers in the water *shudders*

I gotta agree with Chile on this one. My BS flag is going nuts. They are a very tenacious and adaptable predotor fish, yes. Scourge of the planet and the dire situation that your government would have you believe, not quite. If your only knowledge on the topic comes from a documentary you've seen, do some of your own research. Simple regurgitation of what you've heard earns the flag. *kicks over soapbox*

A little more information i found

Cited:
(About.com)
Paul Shafland
Dr. Walter Courtenay
Jon Fury
Dr. Jeffrey Hill

“Unfortunately, the public is reading, hearing, and seeing reports describing these fishes as ‘Frankenfish’ or the ‘fish from ****,’ said Paul Shafland, a fisheries scientist who has spent more than 30 years studying exotic fish at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) Non-Native Fish Laboratory in Boca Raton. But Shafland urges the public to be skeptical about some of the things they have heard and read about these fishes, and most notably the Northern Snakehead.
According to some accounts “This alleged monster eats anything in its path, can walk on land, survive up to three days out of water, and will even attack and kill people when guarding its young!” “That’s great story lines for Hollywood movies, but it is not accurate news” Shafland said.

Dr. Walter R. Courtenay (Professor Emeritus and leading federal expert on snakeheads) agrees, and tells everyone who will listen that “I assure you that the Northern and Bullseye snakeheads are incapable of overland movements.” Moreover, Courtenay adds that any such ‘land’ movements by any snakehead “must occur during the monsoon season so snakeheads can keep their bodies and breathing organ moist or else these fish will die in a matter of hours, not days!”
Dr. Jeffrey Hill (Lead Fish Researcher at the University of Florida’s Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory) agrees, adding that “Snakeheads cannot survive drying out nor can they make extended overland migrations across dry ground, although that seems to be the message popularized in media accounts.” Remember, he said “Snakeheads are fish, fish need water, and even though snakeheads can use atmospheric oxygen unlike most other fishes, they must remain moist to do so.”

I can see how someone can get worried about a fish like this.. there are a lot of mis-conceptions about this fish. And with the cops that are out running the streets now , I totally believe that they would have done what OP is saying they did, ESPECIALLY if they were raiding an illegal drug bust.

I was reading all of this , i just had to research this for my self. Seeing one of these things working its way across my living room floor would scare the crap out of me too! But shooting it was not necessary. From what i have read, they have been found in waters in parts of Florida.

Back
Top Bottom