Burying the heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I bury my heater in my tank in the gravel, Anyone see any problems with this, the problem is those suckers get old and don't stick,
Thanks in advance

You could just buy new suction cups. Most lfs's and even walmart sell them. Don't know if the heater would suffer at all by being buried in the gravel.

My only concern would be that the heat doesn't get evenly distributed. If the area around the heater in the gravel is at the proper temp, it will stay off, even if the rest of the tank is 5 degrees cooler. Some substrates could act as kind of an insulation. My preference would be to not do it and buy new suction cups. Or if you have larger ornaments, lay it on top of the gravel behind them where it's not visible. :) hth

I wouldn't. The heater needs water flow around it, and the thermostat needs to be uncovered. Also, I imagine it wouldn't be the best idea to contact the heater glass with the rocks either. You can find new suction cups anywhere, and for very cheap. :)

Usually in the instructions that come with the heater it says to keep it clear of any plants, gravel, etc...

What I like about my heater is it's non-glass and as per instructions, can either be used with the suction cups or just laying on the gravel. :) I am currently using suction cups and have the heater vertical about 1/2" above the gravel. :)

CD5 wrote

Can I bury my heater in my tank in the gravel, Anyone see any problems with this, the problem is those suckers get old and don't stick,

How big is your tank and do you have a sump by any chance?

Ok for one i think that the gravel around the heater would get hot and then the thermostat will shut off and then the water won't get adequately warm... Also you don't want the heater to overheat by trapping in the gravel... it's really just not a good idea all around. With the gravel touching the glass i'd also worry about it overheating and breaking.

It also depends on what kind of gravel that you have, if it is coated. I know that sand will melt to the heater. Our old heater had sand stuck all over it that wouldn't come off.

That's another good idea lemonheadmech. If you have a sump, you can hide the heater in the sump and let the sump heat the tank. Just another option.

im guessing you dont like the sight of the heater there so why not get an external heater

heaters_hydor_eth_inline_in-line_external.jpg

heaters_hydor_eth_inline_in-line_external_diagram.jpg

55 gallon without a sump, I just keep buying suction cups
Thanks for the advice

I don't like the sight of my heater but an external heater seems like overkill for this problem,

Have you thought about placing the heater horizontal with suction cups about an inch above the gravel behind some of your ornaments? I just have mine in the corner, but when I set up my 55G with 2 heaters, they will be horizontal along the bottom, about an inch above the gravel, behind my shipwreck and driftwood. And I'll use a small amound of aquarium-safe sealant to hold my power cord in the corner of the tank from top to bottom. That way if I need to replace the heater, just have to peel the cord away easily.

The cord won't be exactly in the corner, as I don't want to pull the sealant for the aquarium from the corner and cause a leak. It will just be on the side of the aquarium about 1/2 inch from the corner.

yeah you shouldnt. mainly for the reason ashley said. i used the suction cups off another of my heaters that broke on one of my heaters that the suction cups got too old.

Back
Top Bottom