Can my anemone be saved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible that there is some chemical warfare going on here? Some Anthozoans are very adept at long range chemical warfare. They do this to keep competitors from growing too close to them. In the ocean this only works at close range, but in the closed loop system of our aquariums the impact can be severe. If it is one of your hard corals that is doing this it might explain why your nem and colt coral are the targets.

This is just a thought. If you have a montipora that is growing happily an anemone shouldn't be having that much trouble. Do you run carbon, purigen or anything like that on you tank? Free roaming nematocysts and chemical growth inhibitors can be filtered out that way.

Is it possible that there is some chemical warfare going on here? Some Anthozoans are very adept at long range chemical warfare. They do this to keep competitors from growing too close to them. In the ocean this only works at close range, but in the closed loop system of our aquariums the impact can be severe. If it is one of your hard corals that is doing this it might explain why your nem and colt coral are the targets.

This is just a thought. If you have a montipora that is growing happily an anemone shouldn't be having that much trouble. Do you run carbon, purigen or anything like that on you tank? Free roaming nematocysts and chemical growth inhibitors can be filtered out that way.

I was running gfo with a little carbon but it was suggested that I turn off my reactor. Which I have

I really don't think stony corals can do this. It's mainly the leathers. Are you testing your water to know if the kalkwasser is actually keeping parameters in check, or are you just dosing according to how your montipora is looking?

I really don't think stony corals can do this. It's mainly the leathers. Are you testing your water to know if the kalkwasser is actually keeping parameters in check, or are you just dosing according to how your montipora is looking?

Well when i first started kalk a couple weeks ago i tested weekly and went from 2 tsp to 4 tsp total.i did not test everyday.
today I just tested everything around 7:45pm and my ph was 8.3, cal 420 dkh 10 salinity 1.026 temp at 78 and nitrates around 4 ppm. I didn't check the mag.

My kalk solution is only 4tsp in 4g bucket.

However I turned off my ato for the whole day and I'm gonna leave it off for tommorow and ill test again tommorow.

Ok so it's more than likely my tank parameters I have been testing and the results seem fine. I have been using kalk in my ato but not a lot. I started over the course of 4 weeks.i used 2 tsp then 3 tsp and then 4tsp, I have a 4g ato bucket. 4 tsp in a 4 gallon bucket shouldn't be an over saturated solution. I've learned 2 tsp per gallon is a saturated solution via mr saltwater tank. Anyways should I stop using the kalk and stop altogether or should I ramp down the dosage. My hard corals are doing fine and my red montipora are growing fast since my addition of kalk. It's the anemone and colt coral that seem to not be liking things. I have my gfo reactor off as well.
You may have good parameter but a sudden change or swing like when your ATO turns on which you mentioned includes kalkwasser will be sensed by anemone. I'm not sure about the rate of your pump lifter (gal/hr) but it does affect anemone when topping off in high rate volume with large parameter difference compared with DT.

Quick question you said you added another powerhead to your tank then the nem moved from where it was at and hid behind a rock. If so how long was it back there and is that powerhead still on in your tank. Also is your clown still hosting or trying to host. And in my experience with nems they seem to take a lot of energy to eat solid food so when they are in a weakened state feeding them isn't always the best idea. I've seen a lot worse off nems come back

Quick question you said you added another powerhead to your tank then the nem moved from where it was at and hid behind a rock. If so how long was it back there and is that powerhead still on in your tank. Also is your clown still hosting or trying to host. And in my experience with nems they seem to take a lot of energy to eat solid food so when they are in a weakened state feeding them isn't always the best idea. I've seen a lot worse off nems come back

It was hiding for a week came out for a day (had no tentacles) then hid again ,then I flipped the rock over and found a bubble less flat nem. It has been release some stringy clear looking stuff and still has no tentacles like when first introduced.

IMO, API's calcium kit is garbage. I would do a couple water changes and see if that makes a difference.

I've been using API calcium test for a while now, never seems to change, always 520+. What should I try?

I highly doubt your calcium is at 520. What is your alk? Should be very low if the calcium level is that high. I like salifert for calcium.

All the api kits I ever used said my calcium was much higher than it really was. That said, I don't think low calcium levels would effect your anemone too much.

I don't have a nem, I just started my 40 up a week ago. I'll check out that salifert test, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom