Carey's Community Build/Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried the soda bottle trick, too much flow and not enough rim, it comes out the sides. For now what i did was pile rocks and stuff in the flow zone. I think it looks okay. Any suggestions to make it better?

Pics below of course

img_1430427_0_65cc797baaf2ca19b5a36145ac4aac28.jpg

img_1430427_1_c03bd8860d8876a3dab8bb74c1a6b3af.jpg

I like it! Especially how you have the light rocks with the dark substate. Now you need plants and lots of them

allaboutfish said:
I like it! Especially how you have the light rocks with the dark substate. Now you need plants and lots of them

Yes! Lot and lots and lots of plants! By the way, more plants! I can't stop myself from buying more plants every time I go to the LFS!

I wish my lfs sold plants that looked halfway alive. lol

I added some more rock, still trying to cut the flow from the filter down a bit. With all the rock at the out flow part of the filter I've pretty much stopped the sandstorm I was having. I still have some sand piling up in the front though, gotta work on that.

And today I am placing my order with SM for my new fish and inverts! I'm very excited! I should have them by the end of the week I hope.

here's the latest rank shot

img_1434440_0_ea7c53720861e95bb98d8d89f879f5a2.jpg

Hey... For the filter problem... Would the AC30 intake tube fit on the AC70? Then it'd be shorter.

That is a gorgeous tank Carey! I wish that I could have aquascaping abilities like that! You could always buy the plants and make them better?... Unless you already bought them and are doing that currently, then ignore this sentence;)

Hey... For the filter problem... Would the AC30 intake tube fit on the AC70? Then it'd be shorter.

Nope, the 70 tube is HUGE! And the 30 wont fit inside of it either. I could cut off some of the tube where it connects but I'd rather not.

That is a gorgeous tank Carey! I wish that I could have aquascaping abilities like that! You could always buy the plants and make them better?... Unless you already bought them and are doing that currently, then ignore this sentence;)

I'm still on the border with the live plants. I'm gonna wait awhile while the two filters run together and then maybe when I remove the AC30 I will add some. Unless someone has all 3 plants that I want: java fern, java moss and anubias. ;-)

carey said:
Nope, the 70 tube is HUGE! And the 30 wont fit inside of it either. I could cut off some of the tube where it connects but I'd rather not.

Yeah... No sense in messing with it lol. Maybe the 50 tube would fit better? And if you're worried about sand getting sucked up, maybe some sponge or a stocking over the valve would help until things settle?

I'd go for the live plants. I have some Anubis that I grew from those bulbs at Walmart and I have like 7 of them, 2 in each betta tank and 3 in my cycling Endler's tank.

And Carey... I've thrown away lots of $ doing this. plants need time to get some established roots going. If your plants look dead after a week or so, unless they're floating, and gooey, it doesn't always mean they're dead! My anarchis's leaves went transparent after a few weeks in my tank, and now it won't stop growing! Lol. same with just about any other plant in my tank. You have the lights!

My anachris started melting in a few days of planting. lol I even used flourite for the substrate. I can't keep cactus's alive LOL

carey said:
My anachris started melting in a few days of planting. lol I even used flourite for the substrate. I can't keep cactus's alive LOL

My anarchis's leaves tried melting too lol. I thought I was doomed, but I kept it in there out of laziness waiting for it to float... And viola! Buds started popping out everywhere! Lol. The original stems still look bad, but the new ones are bright green! When I get enough growth from the old ones, I'll throw them out and let the new ones grow. You've just gotta give them some time :)

Sounds like a planted tank is hard. I can't keep normal plants alive...No green thumb.

Waiting to see them flourish for you Carey. :)

Try some of those fertilizer tabs. You just put them in the substrate, whatever it may be, then look out!

I gotta get me some plants first. I'm just doing the most basic three. I have limited light and since my first attempt didn't go well I'm not gonna upgrade lights til I know I can grow SOMETHING lol.

I have fine sand as my substrate, that will work for plants right?

carey said:
I gotta get me some plants first. I'm just doing the most basic three. I have limited light and since my first attempt didn't go well I'm not gonna upgrade lights til I know I can grow SOMETHING lol.

I have fine sand as my substrate, that will work for plants right?

Yeah, just make sure you remove any deaf plants immediately. I heardif you leave them in thereof like contributes to hardening of sand or something.

I just ordered my fish and shrimp from severum mama. They should be here Friday. :)

very excited to add some life to a tank since it's been a dismal week or two on the salt water side.

I got:
2 tiger shrimp
4- manadrin shrimp
1 thick lipped gourami
6 lemon tetras
6 gold neons

WOOT WOOT Go ME!

I just ordered my fish and shrimp from severum mama. They should be here Friday. :)

very excited to add some life to a tank since it's been a dismal week or two on the salt water side.

I got:
2 tiger shrimp
4- manadrin shrimp
1 thick lipped gourami
6 lemon tetras
6 gold neons

WOOT WOOT Go ME!

WOOT WOOT Go YOU!!!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom