Carey's Community Build/Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my order today and added the following:

4 mandarin shrimp
2 tiger shrimp
6 gold neons
5 lemon tetras

Unfortunately the gourami didnt survive the trip. :-( It was awful hot here today.

So I will be adding a centerpiece fish. What would you all suggest? If I could be so picky I'd like 2 red fish and larger ones at that. The neons are all so tiny and theres so much room left. lol

LOL. I had already asked SM. ;-)

I'm letting the new guys settle in, they were really zipping around earlier so I shut down the lights.

Good to hear that they are settled in, hope you enjoy!

Here's some pics, they havent seemed to settle in too much yet. Thye are very active with the lights off but when I turn them on they get skittish.

img_1442770_0_3d8ecae3a5ac1652a4ea0602e1493234.jpg

img_1442770_1_5a70e69b761d7c117202a72d50563e50.jpg

Here's some pics, they havent seemed to settle in too much yet. Thye are very active with the lights off but when I turn them on they get skittish.

img_1443053_0_3d8ecae3a5ac1652a4ea0602e1493234.jpg

img_1443053_1_5a70e69b761d7c117202a72d50563e50.jpg
they look good,the ones that arent normal neons are gold neons,right?

Yep, gold neons. :) They look so awesome in person too.

I'm just worried that they are taking a long time to get used to the new tank. i had to shut the lights down early today cause they were all huddling in the corner. Now, they are swimming and schooling all over the tank.

Any ideas or should I give it a few more days?

Thanks so much!

Yep, gold neons. :) They look so awesome in person too.

I'm just worried that they are taking a long time to get used to the new tank. i had to shut the lights down early today cause they were all huddling in the corner. Now, they are swimming and schooling all over the tank.

Any ideas or should I give it a few more days?

Thanks so much!
IMO,you just need to wait for a few more days,some fish take longer to get used to changes than others

Well this morning when I got up the happy fish were all swimming around and having fun. As soon as the light went on they all hightailed it into a corner to just sit there.

I've been turning off the lights early trying to get them used to it but it doesnt seem to be working.

I've been into fish since like 1993 but it's always been cichlids and they are such a different animal. lol

I don't wanna stress these tiny fish but what should I do? Just let the light stay on and hope they get used to it? I haven't had any losses at all in this tank, even with the neons which people say are delicate and I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Any suggestions on why they are so afraid of the light? Or anything I can do to acclimate them to it?

Thanks guys! Don't know what I would do without this forum.

Well this morning when I got up the happy fish were all swimming around and having fun. As soon as the light went on they all hightailed it into a corner to just sit there.

I've been turning off the lights early trying to get them used to it but it doesnt seem to be working.

I've been into fish since like 1993 but it's always been cichlids and they are such a different animal. lol

I don't wanna stress these tiny fish but what should I do? Just let the light stay on and hope they get used to it? I haven't had any losses at all in this tank, even with the neons which people say are delicate and I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Any suggestions on why they are so afraid of the light? Or anything I can do to acclimate them to it?

Thanks guys! Don't know what I would do without this forum.
i say let them get used to it

As someone else mentioned.. The only way they can really get used to it is if it's actually on. It just may take a while.

How many hood/lights you have on this tank? If you have like two, maybe just turn on one side at a time. See how that works. If that isn't possible well then never mind. Ha ha.

Also, maybe try and feed them only when the light is on. So they associate something good with the light. If you aren't already doing so.

I just think it may take time is all.

I have single little ole 50/50 bulb, not even that bright, more blue actually. lol

I have a huge procedure when I get up with the 7 fish tanks. Part of it is turning on the lights and then 1/2 later feeding. Somewhere I read that its good to give some time to let the fish get used to the light before feeding.

I have the lights on right now and all the fish are huddled on the right side of the tank. I thought it was the filter overflow that was keeping them on the right side but with the lights off they go to the other side and hang out too. LOL

Guess I'll just wait it out. I just don't want them stressed. Not sure if these "happy" community fish are like saltwater fish in regards to stress. In SW it can kill a fish pretty easily if not addressed.

Back
Top Bottom