Chipped tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n9643750

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

Tons of great info on this site and thanks in advance for looking. I'm sure this post is redundant, but I'd love to have some other eyes on this. I bought a 90 gallon tank along with a bunch of peripherals from a guy on craigslist. I got a good deal and noticed some corner chips when I was looking at the tank at his place. It wasn't until I got home, though, that I noticed that one of these chips seems to go down to the silicone and even partially through it. He had the tank full when I looked at it and it wasnt leaking at all, but I really dont wan't to spill 90 gallons in my basement though. Is this tank just garbage? If these things do leak in situations like this would they typically split open or just start to dribble? Anyone have any experience here? Also, I noticed that the inner silicone seal could be redone. However, I wonder if messing with it could do more harm than good. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4795.JPG
    IMG_4795.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4796.JPG
    IMG_4796.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4797.JPG
    IMG_4797.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 102
Hi folks,

Tons of great info on this site and thanks in advance for looking. I'm sure this post is redundant, but I'd love to have some other eyes on this. I bought a 90 gallon tank along with a bunch of peripherals from a guy on craigslist. I got a good deal and noticed some corner chips when I was looking at the tank at his place. It wasn't until I got home, though, that I noticed that one of these chips seems to go down to the silicone and even partially through it. He had the tank full when I looked at it and it wasnt leaking at all, but I really dont wan't to spill 90 gallons in my basement though. Is this tank just garbage? If these things do leak in situations like this would they typically split open or just start to dribble? Anyone have any experience here? Also, I noticed that the inner silicone seal could be redone. However, I wonder if messing with it could do more harm than good. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Hi and welcome to AA. I am just going to give you my personal opinion. I'm not saying i'm right but I would not chance it. That crack/chip in the first picture looks pretty nasty. I really don't think it's worth the risk. I would not be able to sleep at night, wondering if I wake up to a small pool. Small chips can be filled with silicone but once the glass is compromised, it is weaken. If it was a 10/20g tank I would say go for it but a tank that size, for me, no thanks.
Wait and get more opinions from other members before desiding but they look considerably bad.......

IMHO I would not chance a tank that big to hold. If it broke you could be out alot of money in repair costs to your home or worse someone could be hurt. The money spent on another tank in good condition is worth the peace of mind to me. But like Ian said wait for some more opinions before you do anything.

Will tanks be fine if they have a surface chip? I agree those chips are nasty but what if they didn't go that that deep?

Those are some nasty looking chips. The stand and canopy tho look really great, probably well worth your investment. I would see if you can find another tank just to be on the safe side.

Will tanks be fine if they have a surface chip? I agree those chips are nasty but what if they didn't go that that deep?
Surface chips can be fine. What if they DO go that deep. It's not only damage to your property but as we use electrical products in our tanks, there is also a risk of electrical fires or electrical shocks to you or your family. Not worth the risk for the price of a tank, imo. This tank would be ok in a shed/garage but not a house

Those are some nasty looking chips. The stand and canopy tho look really great, probably well worth your investment. I would see if you can find another tank just to be on the safe side.
I agree....

Back
Top Bottom