Cleaning Silicone with toothbrush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good afternoon all,

A few months ago I noticed gunk would form on the silicone down the corners of my tank as well as right underneath it. I assume it is pushed under there from the glass cleaning magnet I use. I use a toothbrush to clean the surface, as well as remove what got under the silicone. Is this safe to do, or does it weaken the silicone and eventually cause leaks? I am a clean freak and always want my tank to look show-ready during my weekly water changes/tank cleaning. Thanks!

I don't think a toothbrush will do any harm. You should be fine.

My only worry is the bristles poking under the silicone (between the glass and where the silicone ends), and going a little deeper each time that could cause a leak. I obviously would not want that to happen.

It's pretty well stuck on the glass. So I don't think it will. Maybe get a scrubbie made from Red Heart scrubby yarn. Takes all sorts of tank gunk off.

Algae will actually grow into the silicone and under it I'm actually upgrading my tank from a 55 to a 75 Because of this, I will then re silicone my 55 for a bigger tank for my convicts

Algae will actually grow into the silicone and under it I'm actually upgrading my tank from a 55 to a 75 Because of this, I will then re silicone my 55 for a bigger tank for my convicts

Do you clean your silicone like I do then do get rid of the algae?

Lights should only be on 8-10 hours, most fish only need 8 hours of light, just like planted tanks, so 8 on 16 off or 10 /14, if the tank is in front of a window maybe black out the window.

Do you clean your silicone like I do then do get rid of the algae?
I use a hand scrub pad and lightly to over it, im not worried about a little algae on the silicone I'd rather not mess with the silicone to badly I just go over it lightly.

Back
Top Bottom