coconut shells...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh,yea, I stop by this forum kind of not very frequently, so give me some time for an answer/reply when you respond. Thanks!

coconut shells

thanks roger... I don't have any plecos so I haven't tested it. My ottos like it but they do prefer driftwood. The coconut shells are a bit harder than most driftwood but they are still enjoyed... I was thinking about the prices... oscarbreeder seems to think 4 or 5 dollars is too much... people can make them for themselves... but it takes time, tools, and a bit of work. I put hours into each one... I can't quite give them away...but I was thinking about it... piscesgirl asked about the hut style one. Since that one would obviously take the lease amount of work I was thinking maybe $3.50 +shipping, which I just figured out is less than $1.50 for regular postage. By the way, since corvuscorax asked, I'm sending him one free. I mentioned the first person to ask would get one free. I'm sending him the smiley face one. In case you haven't seen the pic it's in my gallery. I'll try to get a pic up tonight of the one I've had in my tank for the past year or so. I'd probably charge $4.50 for the more complex designs, and anything that gets real tricky I'll figure out when I make them. If anyone has any requests or questions just ask...

Millipede -- are you sure they will only cost $1.50 for postage? (I'm in a rural area and can't say they treat my mail all that delicately).

I would be happy to pay $5.00 for the hut and shipping together -- that's a deal. For me to make something like that would take weeks of work and bad language! Can you PM me with how I can pay/address to send payment. Thanks!

coconuts...

I'll have to double check but I know it was less than $2. I sent one regular mail to corvuscorax so I'll see when it gets to him if it's still in one piece. They are fairly sturdy and I have it in a small box with some bubble wrap. Hopefully it will travel safely. I think it will do well. If I ship one and it doesn't make it I would replace it and have to find a new way to ship... but as long as I think they will make it somewhere with the regular mail, I might as well ship it as cheap as possible. I'll send you a pm with the info... Hopefully you don't have a postman like Ace Ventura but like I said they aren't that fragile. If you dropped one on a cement floor it might crack at most...

Milipede - check your PMs! Money sent a few days ago, should be at your place today. Can't wait to get my little coconut hut :D

Now, if only I could get some talented person nearby to reinforce my floor I'll be all set :D

Just to update I think I figured out some standard prices... Several people have asked about the plain old caves, just one opening in the front,... Those I will sell for $5.50 and the ones that have more detail work will be $6.50... Those prices include shipping charges. The $5.50 cave can have 1-3 cave openings... the $6.50 design can be quite a variety of options. I can cut out different shapes and designs, make many holes in it.. who knows.... I can also carve/engrave some details into the shell... Depending on how complicated the design the price wont change... If someone wants something that gets a bit more complicated I will work out a new price for it. Provided I remember to, I might start working on one that looks like a lady bug, this weekend, as well as a few others. Feel free to post any general questions or comments and if you are interested in one feel free to pm me and let me know what you'd like...

Hey Millipede wuz up.
I wanted to tell you how I would like my coconut shell designed. You have my shell by now via my mom (of the LOTR-chess-kid). I was wondering if you could make my coconut shell look like a sunken ship for my new "Oranda" goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I've seen what most of your designs look like and they're AWSOME dude. I recomend them to anyone with an aquarium pet.

Thanks,Beacious. 8)

Hey Beacious, I never did figure out where that name came from, but once I saw it on the screen, I knew who it was... Figures you get to be the first person to really challenge me... I've been planning on making one like that for a while, I've just been putting it off. I'll be glad to start working on it for you though... I'll get to work on it this weekend... 8)

You must eat a lot of coconuts because you sure don't live in Hawaii... :)

Have you tried a listing on Ebay just to see if anyone is interested in this outside of the message board?

What types of payment do you accept? Paypal, Personal Check, Money order? If you don't have paypal yet you can always use me as a reference for signing you up :) (my screenname at hotmail dot com)

With the inexpensive shipping are you adding in some type of Delivery Confirmation? (This would probably be more protection for you then the buyer)

If you have an airline going into yours do the fish go into it with the bubbles coming out of it? (I would think they'd go in there to sleep and bubbles might disturb their slumber) You could get fancy and have a rigid tube in the center with a standard size fitting and right angle bend to make it easy for airline hookup (if this were a successful endeavor that is).

I will be ready to purchase a "multi-hole" half shell ($6.50 right?) once my questions are addressed satisfactorily. Atleast two holes must have a minimum diameter of 1.5 inches. I have already viewed the images in the gallery of the shells.

Right now I accept personal checks, money orders, and cash of course. Pisces girl mailed me cash since it wasn't a lot of money... I wouldn't do that but it got here with no problems. I don't plan on signing up for paypal anytime soon... Call me paranoid but I don't like to give out any personal info on the net... I haven't really worried much about delivery confirmation... I trust the buyer to let me know when it arrives... if something happens to it during shipping or it gets lost then I will eat the loss... not a big deal to me. I'll just make another one and ship it out... I'm not too worried... I've only shipped two so far but had no problems. I guess the airline thing would be more decorative than a useful hiding space. I could build them to fit just about any requests... I think... 1.5"... I think I can manage that... any other questions?

Thanks Millipede,
I've really been needing some "hiding spots" for my Oranda. Was the shell we gave you big enough?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

Beacious, sorry I haven't gotten back to you... I never saw that shell... My wife left it at work that night, and it seems that anything left at work gets thrown out... not to worry though, I'll find just the right shell for the job.

...I could probably make one look like a submarine too... every now and then I can find one that is longer and thinner...

Now I just have to find a reliable source of boxes that are just the right size. The first two coconut shells I mailed it cost $1.87... they weighed just under 8oz in the box... the last one I mailed I had to use a Slightly larger box than neccesary so it came to $2.67...it only weighed 13.something oz... I've been getting some boxes free from this guy at radio shack, but it would be nice if he had more of the smaller ones... oh well... I didn't think the price would go up so much for a couple of ounces... I'll figure something out... I can make necklaces out of the coconut shells too... I've only made a few so far... on is the fish in my gallery, the other is my current avatar (2-8-04)...

I'm glad you like it... I sometimes worry whether or not someone will like what I've made for them... When I work on them I usually like what I'm making, but I never know what someone else will think... Hopefully your fish will like it too...

I just got back from a cichlid/reptile specialty LPS and I saw for sale--coconut shells for $7.99 CAD ($6.03 USD). Are these everywhere and I just haven't seen them?!?!? Millipede--have you talked to your LFS/LPS about this?

Menagerie said:
I just got back from a cichlid/reptile specialty LPS and I saw for sale--coconut shells for $7.99 CAD ($6.03 USD). Are these everywhere and I just haven't seen them?!?!? Millipede--have you talked to your LFS/LPS about this?

BTW--my fiancé and I were wondering where you get all the coconut shells?

What just happened? The edit button disappeared and my "editted" message looks very stupid--I didn't want to quote myself!!! I just wanted to add to the message I already posted! :evil:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom