coconut shells...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I think they are gaining in popularity... The closest store that I might be able to set a few up in is at least 30 minutes away so I don't get there too often. Last time I did I pointed out that the coconut shells she was using for her rodents were ones that I made and were stolen from me(long story)... I wasn't asking for them back or anything... She said she liked them so I told her that they work in fish tanks as well... I think I'll make up a couple for her and bring them over next time I go there. The only downside to it is the amount of money I would actually make off of them. Those pet stores like to triple the price of everything so I'd have to sell them to her cheap... It might be worth it though. I'm still waiting to see if she's going to open up another store, If she does it will be less than ten minutes away. That would be really cool... Have you seen all the ones I have in my gallery? To answer your question we buy our coconuts at the local grocery stores. They are cheaper in Massachusetts where the rest of my family lives but that doesn't really help me any... and sales tax is not 8% here... what can you do?

Those pet stores like to triple the price of everything so I'd have to sell them to her cheap...
Bummer. The shells I saw today looked like they were just for retiles--they still had some 'hairs.'

you could put them in a fish tank with those "hairs" still on them, but things could get caught on them and that's where more of the tannins and stuff are, not to mention that softer material breaks down faster... I clean them up real good when it's for a fish tank. For reptiles and rodents and stuff I don't clean them up quite as much. There's actually a layer or two of softer material on the inside as well. Sometimes I leave a little bit of that because it's not as soft and wont cause any problems... I figure it might be good for ottos and stuff too... did you see the pic in my gallery with the snake going through one of the shells???

Yes I did, but I don't like reptiles. I had to look up herp the other night....

The shells look great--if I had room in one of my tanks, I would have to get one (be on the cutting edge :wink: ).
Do you know if the shells help soften the water like driftwood does?

I'm not sure about the shells doing much to the water... I suppose it might affect it a little but I doubt it would be a significant amount...

My local PetSmart uses Cocoanut shells in their crab tanks to give them something ot crawl on, as well as a little cave to hide in.

I think one would be cool in a newt tank as well... which just got me really thinking......... I wont be able to setup that 55 I got til we move but once we do, I plan on having land and water and housing a number of odd things in it... I think instead of the fake waterfall thing I have now, I may build myself a coconut waterfall... It will be really cool................

I've never seen the movie myself but qtoffer sent me this a while back and I thought I just had to share it... it's from monty python I guess... I thought it was funny anyway...

\"Where''d you get the coconuts?
We found them.
Found them? In Mercia? The coconut''s tropical!
What do you mean?
Well, this is a temperate zone.
The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Not at all. They could be carried.
What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
It could grip it by the husk!
It''s not a question of where he grips it! It''s a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.\"

I've never seen the movie myself

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I have one question.

now this is very important. Do err... no... wait, Ok, I have three questions.

1: What is your Name?

2: What is your quest?

3: What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? er no, wait... Do you have a DVD player? :D

If you enjoyed the bit you quoted, you'll love the rest of the entire movie. (really, only the third question is important :wink: You should rent the Movie, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail")

You should rent the Movie
I might just do that... I'm guessing when I was younger it was something my mom would not have allowed and that's why I never saw it.

it was "what is the average wingspan of an african swallow"

err i think that mighta been the 2nd question

:?

Back to coconuts.
I see them for sale all over the place now. Still looking forward to the ones you are making!

Back
Top Bottom