Constipated Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I’ve noticed my Betta is a bit constipated. I realized I should have been soaking his food for about 10 mins before feeding it to him. I have only been giving him freeze dried bloodworms and TetraBetta floating mini pellets. Only about 2-3 pellets twice a day. And a couple bloodworms as like a treat. I think maybe that’s too much? Since I noticed him getting bloated I did fast him for about a day and a half. But not much improvement. I’ve tried getting him to flare as I’ve heard that helps but still nothing. I’ve read about feeding him a pea or trying an epsom salt bath. Has anybody had this issue and tried any of those methods? And how have they helped? If there are any other other options, I would like to hear them. I want to save the salt bath for last because I don’t want to stress him. And since I’ve never done it before I don’t want to mess it up. Lol. If anybody could please help, I don’t want my little guy uncomfortable. [emoji17]IMG_0633.jpg

That is quite a case of bloat. First off, I would start fasting him for a few days. If he seems like he has an appetite, you can try feeding him a single blanched pea (using frozen is fine, don't use canned because of the added salt). See how those options work out.
Just a heads up, keep an eye out for any signs of "pineconing" where the scales start to lift up and point out like a pine cone. It is a sign that the damage is more severe.
I feel like I should give you fair warning that bettas do not always come back from severe bloating. They are not always the most hardy fish and their treatment before they make it to your tank can be stressful.
He is a gorgeous betta and I wish you and him both luck!

That is quite a case of bloat. First off, I would start fasting him for a few days. If he seems like he has an appetite, you can try feeding him a single blanched pea (using frozen is fine, don't use canned because of the added salt). See how those options work out.
Just a heads up, keep an eye out for any signs of "pineconing" where the scales start to lift up and point out like a pine cone. It is a sign that the damage is more severe.
I feel like I should give you fair warning that bettas do not always come back from severe bloating. They are not always the most hardy fish and their treatment before they make it to your tank can be stressful.
He is a gorgeous betta and I wish you and him both luck!

Thank you, for your advice! I’m going to try the pea. I really have grown quite attached to the little guy. I took a weekend vacation (for my birthday memorial weekend) and asked my mom to feed him while I was gone. She told me she fed him 6 pellets because he just kept eating them! Idk if that’s what started this but I don’t want to let her know I think it’s her fault. Which it’s not, because she didn’t know. I will also try fasting him for a few more days, maybe I just didn’t do it long enough the first time. Keeping my fingers crossed! ?? Thank you, again, so much!

If he's still swimming around, not setting on the bottom. Just leave him be and don't feed him till his belly goes down. Usually takes a day to 3 days. And only feed once a day. 3-5 pellets for him. A treat now and then if you want. He's not getting the time to digest the food when feeding 2 times a day. If this gets worse, if pineconing scales come about read this. This is what I did a while back and posted it for others. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365487

Betta Bloat cure!

Good luck. Feel free to post again if you have more questions.
going forward, make sure to feed less. Bettas are very prone to bloating and are sensitive to over feeding. Additionally, soak those freeze dried blood worms before feeding and feed less regular food if you will be feeding the blood worms.

Thank you both for the awesome advice! I got up this morning and was going to go to the store to buy peas, but checked on him and he has a BIG poopie started! Should I still try feeding him a pea? I have heard some people add it to their weekly diet, as a precaution. Like fast them one day a week and also give them the pea. Opinion on that?

You can always use epsom salt. A tablespoon to ten gallons of water will get a bm

No, just feed once a day 3-5 pellets (soaked) he'll be fine. If you want you can skip a day out of a week on feeding. I don't, but some do. Later today I'd just throw him a little blood worms. Then feed tomorrow. I've tried peas and Imo, peas don't do much. You have a better chance just not feeding at all and let everything work it's way out. Then over stuffing more with peas.

Take care of him. There's more to betta's than a lot of people know about. They are an easy fish for some to keep, but they don't live long for them. They are harder to keep if you want them to live a long life. Another note for you to keep in mind is, his belly is as big as one of his eyes. Belly will expand a little. But, just to have an idea on how much to feed. Keep him happy.

The point of the pea is to get the poop going. If the poop is already going, there is really no need for the pea. I would just keep fasting until he has pooped himself back to normal size.
I know a lot of people do a pea as part of the diet routine. I have never bothered. I don't feed bettas everyday though (or any of my fish for that matter). Up to you though.

Back
Top Bottom