Coral not fully open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaim

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the fluval 5 gallon tank. I got what I believe is a galaxea coral 3 day ago but it’s still mostly closed up. It’s currently on the lowest level rock on the sand bed in the corner of the tank. Should I just give it more time to open or move it to a different spot in the tank? Picture below

Attachments

• IMG_525807D7-5B23-44F6-B6B0-7B3F7089A1A0.jpeg
    IMG_525807D7-5B23-44F6-B6B0-7B3F7089A1A0.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3
If it doesn't open at all, it doesn't like where it's at. If it opens slightly, usually that means it doesn't like something in your water. Test your water and adjust accordingly.

Ok thanks and what about candy cane coral? Sorry if sounds a bit like a dumb question I’m just not familiar. How can I tell if my candy cane is fully open? It always looks just like this when the light is on and off

Attachments

• IMG_B2E76A80-48BE-40E7-83EE-4CD46971942E.jpeg
    IMG_B2E76A80-48BE-40E7-83EE-4CD46971942E.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
The amazing thing about corals is that they can almost acclimate themselves since they can stop intaking water if something disagrees with them. They can then choose to either acclimate to the change or they die off but the bottom line is that THEY choose. The coral in the pic appears to be open. If it were closed, it would look deflated and show no signs of any liquid inside their flesh.

The candy cane is looking great today so I guess it just took some time. I just got a colt leather today where would the best place be for it? It’s looking kind of deflated now, currently it’s on the second to top rock on right center of tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 6
The candy cane is looking great today so I guess it just took some time. I just got a colt leather today where would the best place be for it? It’s looking kind of deflated now, currently it’s on the second to top rock on right center of tank
An area under bright to medium light and away from any stinging corals. For what it's worth,, that may have not been the best coral for a 5 gallon tank. They need close to 12" of space around them as they grow. That's kind of tight in a 5 gallon. You really want to stick with more smaller growing hard corals that you can either frag as they grow or trade in for another small coral.

How old is this tank? Rocks and sand look off the shelf new. Has it cycled yet?

Back
Top Bottom