Cory Cat Schools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I have this many fish in a twenty gallon?

6 zebra danios
6 male fancy tail guppies
6 Cory cats(panda)

Or should I stick with four Cory cats? Thanks in advance.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

Depends, is it a 20 long or 20 high?

In a 20 high, you would want to bring the cory school down to at least 3 (I dont think it has a big-enough footprint to support a full school of cories.) and to make the guppies to 3 (just a side note, zebras can nippy, so separate if necessary.)

In a 20 gallon long, that could work. Just to limit the aggression between the male guppies, make sure to have a few hiding spots.

I personally don't see where it will be a problem. The only thing I'd be worried about is getting the cory cats enough food. You would have to feed the fish with the fact that the cory's rely on fallen food and don't venture to the surface. I have twice as many fish in my 29 gallon community with no problems. I am however planning on moving some of my mollie out (they are reproducing like crazy).

Shrimp pellets and algae wafer sink pretty fast though, never had a problem in any of my tanks for all the cories to get something to eat.

BTW, I just thought of this. You may want watch out for male guppy aggressiveness. I have 2 guppies in my 29 gallon tank and every once and a while they will go at it with each other. I'm afraid 6 male guppies will be even more aggressive.

Shrimp pellets and algae wafer sink pretty fast though, never had a problem in any of my tanks for all the cories to get something to eat.

I've read a lot of posts around the net that feeding corys algae wafers is not always a good thing. Some corys won't even bother with the wafers. I have 2 corys in my 60 gallon tank and was considering adding algae to their diet. Can you share your experience with the wafers and corys?

I've read a lot of posts around the net that feeding corys algae wafers is not always a good thing. Some corys won't even bother with the wafers. I have 2 corys in my 60 gallon tank and was considering adding algae to their diet. Can you share your experience with the wafers and corys?

My cories actually like the wafer more than the pellets lol (I have 2 albino, 2 peppered, and 2 bronze.) When I added the cories in the tank for the first and when it was their first feeding, they ignored the pellets and went for the wafer (they do this all the time, so my shrimp end up getting the pellets.)

My corys, the four of them being different breeds like sterbai emerald bronze etc I have had for 2 years and ignore the wafers even if I only feed them wafers when they are really hungry but will go nuts for the pellets. Might just depend on what your corys like the taste of or are used to :)

I just reread the title of this thread. Are you hoping that your cory's will school? I never thought of them as a "schooling" species of fish. Will someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I agree. They are not really a schooling species, but more of a shoaling species :)

Well, I know they don't actually school, that was just for lack of a better term. So should I do six or four is my main question, I was thinking four at first, but then someone said something about having six at least. I just need a clear cut answer. Thank you for the previous answers though.

I am also aware of the difficulties of feeding. I was looking at two types of food. One for the guppies and danios, and then a quick sinking one for the cories.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

Hi, in my 20g high I have four cories, and they do just fine. It's 2' long and they have no issue at all when it comes to enough space. They are active and healthy.

I used to also have 6 male Guppies. I've found different experience with them. Sometimes they gang up on a shyer one, and that fish gets really stressed. Other times they are fine, just a bit rambunctious here and there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Agree with Mandy.
I used to have 4 in a 26G and they were fine, always together.

Now I have 5, but not change in their behavior.

:)

I have always had 1 cory catfish and they do great by themselves also...

But they're happier in shoals. The minimum that I am getting is already set at four.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Just be aware that the danios and guppies may also go for the wafers or pellets. I've got tetras that will eat pellets whole, sinking wafers (pea size) that they'll swim around with it in their mouths, and my guppies swarm the large algae wafers. It's a real work of art getting the food to the corys. I found that burying them shallowly in the substrate helped an awful lot.

My albino cories love wafers. You may want to try wafers with garlic (like Hikary), all my fish not only cories love to nibble on those. Also, my cories really love green pea.

Back
Top Bottom