cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hmm...so I know I want some cory catfish. I just can't decide which kind to get!!! I'm trying to decide between panda, albino, or the spotted kind...I think they're called julli or sterbae. If I get different kinds will they school together??? And what kind do you think I should get! Feel free to post pics of your corys.

tarpon said:
Hmm...so I know I want some cory catfish. I just can't decide which kind to get!!! I'm trying to decide between panda, albino, or the spotted kind...I think they're called julli or sterbae. If I get different kinds will they school together??? And what kind do you think I should get! Feel free to post pics of your corys.

Firstly how big is your tank? I've read that they do school together (the different species) I have some peppered ones that I love.

Attachments

• image-4186518649.jpg
    image-4186518649.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 111
I had asked the same question when I was adding to my cory stock. Someone said they will group but not school if they are different breeds. So now I have 5 albino's. The preferred number to get is 4-6 I believe. Also, I have black moon sand for a substrate and it really makes the albinos POP. So keep your substrate in mind when making your selection.

Make sure you have significant groups of the same species instead of mixing and matching one school. For example, a group of 5 Pandas will hang out with a group of 5 Julii's...but they still should be with their own species instead of mixing like 1 Panda, 1 Albino, 1 Julii, etc...

Different species do not usually school together, but they do hang out together and IME enjoy the company. I have 4 peppered, 2 albino, 2 julii, and 1 elegans (he was misidentified at my lfs and he was sold to me as a julii). I only see true schooling behavior with the peppered, but all of them hang out together and make friends and often swim together.

I have a 30 gal tank. Its not ready for them quite yet but I'm planning on eventually getting about 6. My sand is a light brown color...I kind of like that my albino bn can blend in and be camouflage with it but ill probly get some corys that contrast it. And ill probly get all the same type. That sounds like itd be better.

I had this cool idea where id have an albino pleco, albino cories, and then those albino blind Cavefish. That would be cool and unique. Id probly add glass cats too.And then I could add a black background...id probly just add a kinda thin layer of black sand on top of my existing sand....idk I think that'd be a really cool kinda theme

Actually yes if you keep different species but with a good number of each species they will school together. Thousands of cories of different species school together in the wild, so I don't see how it should be any different in the aquairum (not 1000 cories though, of course :))

Back
Top Bottom