Cory Problems!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A1C Nelson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Something is wrong with my two spotted cories. Last night when I went to bed, I checked the tank and everything was good. This afternoon I find them behaving abnormal. Both of them have been floating around the tank and resting against objects, looking like they are breathing pretty heavily. One would float up against the heater and just sit there, and one was laying upside down on the gravel. When they swim, its erratic, very quick movements. I took the top of the tank off to observe them, and they look like they're trying to leap out of the water. I did a water check, and ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and ph is 6.8. They are in a 5 gal Eclipse hex that has been running for 2 months now, with a betta who is just fine. Tank temp is 79 degrees. Help, I don't wanna lose these guys. :(

hmm...well first off, don't be surprised by their laziness... Half of my cories days are spent laying against things. I don't have anything to add really but..

Have you added anything new to the tank recently that might be scaring them? Any new meds? can you see them flashing or rubbing against what they are laying against? ? And, are you sure that they are getting enough to eat? Since, you probably don't feed you betta enough for it to drop food to the bottom of the tank, are you supplying the cories with a food source, ie: algae wafer, sinking pellets, etc? Thats about all I have, HTH

I know its not laziness, this is definitely not normal behavior for them. This morning I found one of the dead. :( I always drop in a an algae wafer 20 minutes before I go to bed, and they're usully all over that. :D No meds have added, the only thing new in the tank is a driftwood decoration i picked up at the LPS which i throughly cleaned before putting it in there.

hmm...could be something with the driftwood, I'm not sure though, I know nothing about driftwood :roll:

I do know driftwood requires a certain amount of soaking and checking to make sure that nothing is coming out of it, so...that could be it. Sorry, I can't help more, somebody will be along that can probably give you some more info!

i boiled a piece of driftwood and scrubbed it with salt for one of my tanks. over the next several weeks more than half of my fish in that tank died seemingly for no reason. After i took the driftwood out there have been no casulties.
Also you can add salt to the water it is always helpfull when fish are sick or stressed out one tablespoon of salt for every 10 gallons of water in a fresh water aquarium.
oh and if they aren't eating there normal food a pinch of live tubifex worms are a corys favorite treat

i boiled a piece of driftwood and scrubbed it with salt for one of my tanks. over the next several weeks more than half of my fish in that tank died seemingly for no reason. After i took the driftwood out there have been no casulties.
Also you can add salt to the water it is always helpfull when fish are sick or stressed out one tablespoon of salt for every 10 gallons of water in a fresh water aquarium.
oh and if they aren't eating there normal food a pinch of live tubifex worms are a corys favorite treat

Thanks for the advice, I moved them to a QT tank, but unfortunately they didn't make it. :cry: Yeah, i took my driftwood out too, not gonna risk losing my betta.

Hey A1C, sounds like it could have been a driftwood problem. Read up on it. There is a really good article in the articles section of how to prep and care for driftwood and all kinds of info, so check it out. Sorry about the little guys too, it sucks to lose fish.

I've heard that it is bad to have salt in tanks with Cory catfish - .. may want to check the forums on that search.

You never mentioned the nitrate reading, that might be the problem. Also, cories or somewhat intolerant of salt, have you added any salt recently? Was the driftwood real or fake?

Back
Top Bottom