Cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think this might be a dumb question, but will different types of cories school together? For example will peppered cories and julii cories get along and behave as If they Didnt look different?

Some say they will but in my experience they do not. They won't fight or anything like that though.

I have 5 different types of cory's in my 220g. Panda, Julii, Sterbai, Agassizi, and Melini Cory's. Sometimes they stay with their own species, sometimes there is a mix in this big planted tank. In a couple smaller tanks I have only one type/species per tank and in those tanks I notice they usually stay fairly close together as a school. For some reason in the huge tank and 5-6 of each type cory they just tend to do their thing. In this tank they just seem to enjoy the company of being with other cory's whether the same or not. But I have to tell you it is really cool keeping only one species in a smaller tank and seeing them all together in a school.

Corydoras

I think this might be a dumb question, but will different types of cories school together? For example will peppered cories and julii cories get along and behave as If they Didnt look different?

Hello Pipe...

Good question. Corys are shoaling fish, not schooling fish. Shoaling fish forage in loose groups and move individually. Schoolers stay in tight groups for protection and when one moves, the others mimic the move. Watch a group of Tetras some time. Those are schooling fish.

Anyway, Corys of the same species will forage for food together, mine do. I have several different kinds in my tanks, but I don't notice the different species staying in a group. Corys are peaceful fish and all my different kinds live well together.

B

Hello Pipe...

Good question. Corys are shoaling fish, not schooling fish. Shoaling fish forage in loose groups and move individually. Schoolers stay in tight groups for protection and when one moves, the others mimic the move. Watch a group of Tetras some time. Those are schooling fish.

Anyway, Corys of the same species will forage for food together, mine do. I have several different kinds in my tanks, but I don't notice the different species staying in a group. Corys are peaceful fish and all my different kinds live well together.

B

Exactly this.

Thanks guys I started with just 3 green cories, and yesterday added 3 peppered and 3 julii cories, not thinking anything of it. I can't wait.to get off work tonight and see if they've acclimated well and are interacting

Back
Top Bottom