Cory stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have fallen completely in love with my cories and want to know how to keep them happy. I have 4 "spotted cories" (I've been trying to figure out what species they actually are, my guess is agassizii) in my 20g high. I just found some habrosus for my 10g. What numbers should I have in each tank?

You want no less than 5 of them, and they do best with other small species, like ember tetras or the like.

LyndaB said:
You want no less than 5 of them, and they do best with other small species, like ember tetras or the like.

Awesome-- right now the Pygmy cories are in with my norman's lampeye killifish- so that works! I have three platies in there but I am planning on moving them.

How about in the 20g high? Can I fit 6 of the bigger species in there? They are the only bottom dwellers in that tank. Except for my female Betta under the illusion she is a bottom feeder.

With cories is it the footprint of the tank or the gallons that is the guideline? I also have a 20 long... Although I am not planning on cories in that tank because I have heard they might get bothered by the bolivian rams I am planning for that tank. Just curious if a 20 long would have more room for more cories.

IMO, you should stick with more like 4 spotted cories in the 20g. I have not seen any difference in behavior with my cories as long as I have at least 3. The spotted cories (assuming its agassizii) can reach almost 3 inches, so 6 might be pushing it. However, with a lot of cory species, the females get much bigger than the males so you can fit more cories if you have fewer females. Once the cories grow a bit, if you have fewer females, you can add a couple more. :)
For the habrosus, I have 7 in my 10g and they are great. If you are ordering them, I suggest ordering 7-8 because then if you have any losses, you will still have a decent number of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom