Could the tank cycle already?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
We filled the aquarium on Sunday with pre-mixed RO water from my LFS, I have got 110 kg of cured LR, in the filter we have LR rubble, carbon, filter floss, clearmax (which traps phosphate nitrite and nitrate) and sponges (sponges are remaining from the previous aquarium)

Had the water tested at 2 separate LFS as they do it free!

Here are my results

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <15
pH 8.0
Salinity 1.022
Temp 25.5 (78)

LFS say that it has already cycled?!?? Is this possible and would the reason for it be the LR?! I'm confused!!

No expert here but I doubt it. I went through the same thing over the course of 2 weeks. From what I can gather, the best way to tell is to add a tiny bit of pure ammonia. Then test for a few days. If it has cycled the ammonia will skyrocket, then start to come down while Nitrite climbs. As the Nitrite starts to come down you will the Nitrate start to climb. Once the ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and your nitrate is below 20 you should be good to go. At least that is what they tell me. :) As of last night I was 0 across the board except Nitrate which was 40. I did a 10% water change and will see what it is tonight.

I might be wrong but if it's cycled and you add ammonia it should go back to zero if it's cycled. Say you add to 1 ppm ammo it should go back to zero within a day. If you add ammo and it shows trites before the ammo goes down then it's not cycled it's actually cycling .

I might be wrong but if it's cycled and you add ammonia it should go back to zero if it's cycled. Say you add to 1 ppm ammo it should go back to zero within a day. If you add ammo and it shows trites before the ammo goes down then it's not cycled it's actually cycling .

Sounds about right to me with one exception. If I understand it correctly, the process will always be ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate. It would just be quicker if it has cycled because you have a good colony of BB. Of course, I am just learning here so I very well could be wrong.

So you are saying that if the BB are in a good colony the tranformation from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate is so fast you most likely won't see it? I guess I just assumed it would take a little time.

Yeah my trites are 0! So what Is the general consensus, as posts above are conflicting! I'm going to do a 10% Pwc on Friday and re test on Sunday

rdnelson99 said:
So you are saying that if the BB are in a good colony the tranformation from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate is so fast you most likely won't see it? I guess I just assumed it would take a little time.

That's my understanding of it yes .

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
Yeah my trites are 0! So what Is the general consensus, as posts above are conflicting! I'm going to do a 10% Pwc on Friday and re test on Sunday

Did you see the nitrite go up and then down to zero?

Well I only had it tested today so there was 4 days where I didn't know what was going on in the tank! Lol!

Guys there is no need to message about each other on here thank you, the reason the forum is what it is, is that people voice their opinions constructively, it's all about experiences and helpful advice and opinions

The only way to know for sure is daily testing looking for the ammo spike the the trite spike but if you don't do daily tests while cycling you'll never be sure

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
Well I only had it tested today so there was 4 days where I didn't know what was going on in the tank! Lol!

Guys there is no need to message about each other on here thank you, the reason the forum is what it is, is that people voice their opinions constructively, it's all about experiences and helpful advice and opinions

I am happy someone else chimed in because I am learning myself. :)

I see so even though my lfs does the test for free I should still get my own kit so that I can monitor even more rigorously.

My lfs said that the LR would have kick started the cycle with ammonia. The other lfs said I would be ready for a fish in 7days from now, so I don't think I will be taking anymore advice from that store!

We are all learning, I had a good read on your thread earlier and found it very informative

Yea definitely get a API liquid test kit . When i cycle a tank I test daily so I know what's going on . After that it's testing before and after a Pwc for me

I told you so, for everything in the above thread mate. Lol knew this would be all the replies you would get!

If it's fully cured live rock and you keep it wet. It shouldnt release anything . If it dries before you put it in it will release ammonia

Back
Top Bottom