Cycle update/question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I just tested my water and its day 16 of the cycle. It has 2 25 cent goldfish in it and I feed them twice a day. Here are my Params what do you think?

Ammonia = 5 PPM

Nitrite = 1 PPM

Nitrate = About 5 PPM

Temp = 78

Looks like you are on your way. Have you read the link in my sig on cycling with fish? Its a good one by another on this site.

Yes I just dont know what to do at this point and no i dont want the goldfish I was just told it will speed up the cycle.

shouldnt add things you dont want. that person told you wrong. fish cycling is slower.

Well I did a 50% Water change. How will this effect my testing? When should I test again for accurate results?

Well I did a 50% Water change. How will this effect my testing? When should I test again for accurate results?

I usualy wait for an hour for the water to mix completely then test. Then stest again the next day should tell you how quick these levels are rising.

Ok I didnt test last night. I will test when I get home though. Hopefully my ammonia went down.

Test results...

Amm = 3PPM

Nitrite = 0.75 PPM

Nitrate = 5 PPM

Its down but is that cause I did a PWC?

Ha I thought the same thing with goldfish until a friend told me that it can make things worse.

Ya. I just checked my levels didnt have time to do a pwc today. But they are better...

Amm. = 0.50 ppm

Nitrites = 1 ppm

Didnt do nitrate...

Yes, It will rise again and unless you keep doing PWC's your goldfish will die.
Has your nitrates always been at 5 ppm? Oh and I wouldn't do more then a 50% change in FW with fish in there. Of course you are using a declor and conditioner.

Yes, It will rise again and unless you keep doing PWC's your goldfish will die.
Has your nitrates always been at 5 ppm? Oh and I wouldn't do more then a 50% change in FW with fish in there. Of course you are using a declor and conditioner.
how come?

No the nitrates just got to 5ppm a few days ago the ammonia is going down fast. I am taking the fish out tomorrow.

Give them to the lfs I guess I cant just flush em i would feel to bad even though they are going to get fed to something anyway lol.

how come?
How come "what"?
The ammonia goes down as the bacteria feeds on ammonia increase to the point that the ammonia is being consumed as fast as it is being made leaving nitrites.
Then the nitrites increase until that type of bacteria starts to comsume it, leaving finally the nitrates which are removed by PWC's.

Back
Top Bottom