Cycle update/question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How come "what"?
The ammonia goes down as the bacteria feeds on ammonia increase to the point that the ammonia is being consumed as fast as it is being made leaving nitrites.
Then the nitrites increase until that type of bacteria starts to comsume it, leaving finally the nitrates which are removed by PWC's.
A larger water change will not affect the bio colony. The ammonia goes down as the bio colony establishes in full. Until there is enough ammonia consuming bacteria to immediately convert it to Nitrite, you need to keep it under control with PWCs. Same with Nitrite portion of the cycle. With fish present producing waste, if there is excess ammonia you don't have enough of a bio colony established to consume it, so you might as well remove it, because the fish will make plenty more. As long as you don't vacuum the gravel or rinse off the bio media, you could theoretically do a 100% water change. The vast majority of bacteria aren't floating around in the water, they're adhered to the surfaces.

This is true and I was trying to explain the ups and down of the readings as the bacteria multipy to the point of consuming the ammonia, nitrites. Of course 95% or so of the bacteria is in the substrate and live rock. Why else would we add so much LR to out systems. It's "NOT" just for landscaping!!!!!

Last edited:
I do 75-80% water changes as my normal bi-weekly maintenance. I see no reason to not do more then a 50% change. What is your reasoning for no more then 50% thincat?

Doing more then a 50% water change would not hurt anything. As long as there is a consistent supply of ammonia which can come from food you throw in the tank when there is no fish or poop from fish in the tank the bacteria that breaks things down will be fine, So as long as you don't do a 100% water change things should be fine. Now i personally don't do more then a 50% to 60% water change. I try to do a weekly 30% water change and a change that to whatever my stocking is in my tank.

Lol, remember thincat that everyone has there own approaches and you were not wrong you just have a different way of running your tank which works because you have used it. We should bring all approaches to the table when teaching people.

It's the time change..........
img_1031307_0_641d1782dd918d0e9e08333db3e44321.gif

I'm waiting on UPS for a new ballast for my lights.............

Just checked my levels again...

Amm = 0 YES!

Nitrite = around 1 ppm

Nitrate = 5ppm

Did a 75% PWC see what the levels are like tomorrow.

Okay....My Bad........."Fresh Water"................
lol look like you need a bigger magnify glass.....

The ammonia goes down as the bacteria feeds on ammonia increase to the point that the ammonia is being consumed as fast as it is being made leaving nitrites.
Then the nitrites increase until that type of bacteria starts to comsume it, leaving finally the nitrates which are removed by PWC's.
yes 100% true but he has fish in there so kicking down the ammonia is very good. i figured you were talking about sw just wanted to make sure.

Lol, remember thincat that everyone has there own approaches and you were not wrong you just have a different way of running your tank which works because you have used it. We should bring all approaches to the table when teaching people.
he just suffers a one track mind like me.... he thinks everyone has sw while i think everyone has fw. lol

Tested again.... Pretty much the same results.

Amm = 0

I think nitrite is 1 ppm here is a pic help me out...

2u4qzpw.jpg

And nitrate is still 5....

Fish are out by the way.

looks like it but the problem with that is the light and the cam and the screen can all change the color.

yes again but screens can differ. like i said it looks like it but only real way to know is in person.

Did another 75% and got advised after that water changes during the cycle will slow it way down...

tests still the same...

Amm = 0

Nitrites = 1

Nitrates = 5

Back
Top Bottom