Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonesy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone im new to the forum and to tropical fish.

My is about cycling
I got my new tank 2 weeks ago set it all up and following my fish shops advice put 5 zebra danios in streight away as the shop said it would be fine all i needed to do was condition the water to take the chlorene out. Then i started looking on the net and read about cycling your tank and as i had already put fish i have to do a fish cycle. But im not getting the reading i should be when i test the water. The tank has been going for just over 2 weeks but ive only been testing the water for the last week and i keep getting a reading of 0 for amonia between 10 and 20 for nitrate but the nitrite is 1.0 when i tested today and it keeps going up. I thought you got amonia showing up first then nitrite or am i wrong. If someone could help i would be modt greatfull as i dont want my danios to die.

Many thanks lee

Thanks for the link.
Ive just been and read it and it says that i should have got amonia showing up first but every test ive done says 0 surely the amonia wouldnt have droped to 0 in a week.

Are you using a liquid test kit? Strips are pretty inaccurate...

also, have you observed an ammonia spike yet?

I would but an API master test kit, they are very accurate and easy to use.

Im using a master test kit gona test agsin today and do a water change if the nitrite hasnt come down

Back
Top Bottom