December 21, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember my spanish teacher telling us that new mayan calanders were found that go way before and way after the calander that ends in 2012.

Regardless, I think I may try to throw a massive "end of the world" party that night. Might as well, right?

MrPillow said:
It's less of a crock than the world ending on 12/21.

Touché lol but this is for fun lol. I tend to agree with paytertot on GW tho.

Edit: so did the Mayans hence their different period calendars.

Global Warming is a fact! The cause of GW is still being debated. Is it just another natural cycle, or has mankind contributed to it in some small (or very large) way.

National Geographic has a very good article on GW which can be found at Global Warming Fast Facts

From a 2007article :Global Warming "Very Likely" Caused by Humans, World Climate Experts Say "Global warming is here, it's human-caused, and it will continue for centuries even if greenhouse-gas emissions are stabilized, an international panel of climate experts said in a report issued today."

cmor1701d said:
Global Warming is a fact! The cause of GW is still being debated. Is it just another natural cycle, or has mankind contributed to it in some small (or very large) way.

National Geographic has a very good article on GW which can be found at Global Warming Fast Facts

From a 2007article :Global Warming "Very Likely" Caused by Humans, World Climate Experts Say "Global warming is here, it's human-caused, and it will continue for centuries even if greenhouse-gas emissions are stabilized, an international panel of climate experts said in a report issued today."

I agree GW is a fact. (aka climate change)I disagree that humans are a major factor. A small one maybe but insignificant. The world does go through natural cycles so once we get done with global warming then thousands of years from now ppl will be freaking out about global cooling. there's much research to suggest that this is far from a man made problem too. More actually. It doesn't get attention because it doesn't get money. But that's my view. Let's please get back to us all dying a figurative death in 2012 and tell me your theory cmor1701d!

It's just media hype, anything to get people watching. As far as the actual calendar goes, the level of astronomical accuracy that it shows these people as having is more intriguing than anything. It tells me (among other finds) that there is a lot of history that we have lost so we are missing pieces of the puzzle.
This link makes 5 points on the subject.

Griffith Observatory - 2012 Event

jetajockey said:
It's just media hype, anything to get people watching. As far as the actual calendar goes, the level of astronomical accuracy that it shows these people as having is more intriguing than anything. It tells me (among other finds) that there is a lot of history that we have lost so we are missing pieces of the puzzle.
This link makes 5 points on the subject.

Griffith Observatory - 2012 Event

Haha yes I like the article I read it. Tho I can put forward good evidence against the first 4 points of it as well. The nimburu planet theory has always been ridiculous in my opinion. I mean at this point in time I think we'd be able to see it pretty well seeing as it would be only a few months out lol Like I said tho I don't believe in it. It's just fun to imagine and say what u think will happen if it had to happen.
So from this point forward, please tell your theories of 2012 if it HAD to happen. I don't need to know if you think it's true or not. That's not the discussion. Thanks lol

MrPillow said:
If it had to happen I would waste all my money, party hardy, and then kill myself.

Agh morbid lol. What your favorite way for the world to go out?

Wishful thinking I would spend the rest of my time with the guy I was dating, but the keyword there is WAS :/ so I guess I'd do the same as Mr. Pillow. Party like a rockstar, and if that doesn't kill me, I will. Lol that does sound morbid... Ah well lol

I have been notified that my post may have been a bit heavy for this forum. For those of you interested in my delightful suicide plans, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Cheers.

MrPillow said:
If you're asking me how I would kill myself I would be more than happy to regale you with delicious details. First I would take a coctail of pain inhibiting and hormone inducing medications to create a chemical euphoria. I would then find some sort of crowded establishment, preferably a club of some sort which makes use of heavy duty, industrial type ceiling fans. I would attain a suitably tall ladder, ascend to the height of the fan, and use a large decorative knife to cut open my abdomen. I would wrap my intestines around my neck a la noose, then wrap them around the ceiling fan and send my corpse slinging wildly around the room. Seems like a fitting end.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! You sound like my husband. Thanks for those gritty details, thats a mental image I'll never forget.

MrPillow said:
If you're asking me how I would kill myself I would be more than happy to regale you with delicious details. First I would take a coctail of pain inhibiting and hormone inducing medications to create a chemical euphoria. I would then find some sort of crowded establishment, preferably a club of some sort which makes use of heavy duty, industrial type ceiling fans. I would attain a suitably tall ladder, ascend to the height of the fan, and use a large decorative knife to cut open my abdomen. I would wrap my intestines around my neck a la noose, then wrap them around the ceiling fan and send my corpse slinging wildly around the room. Seems like a fitting end.

..... :blink:

MrPillow said:
I have been notified that my post may have been a bit heavy for this forum. For those of you interested in my delightful suicide plans, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Cheers.

Oh I guess that means we shouldn't have quoted it huh..

jetajockey said:
Please do.

1. Tha Mayan calendar is ending.
This point of the article holds truth. The calendar does not actually end. Therefore the world does not actually end in a sense that it is "no more". I agree completely with that point but the Mayan calendar does correlate with great changes in the earths history or climate in some instances or so some scientists believe. Could be coincidence or not. But the theory then holds water if you approach it from this angle of the world not ending but a great earth cycle ending. Look at the changes in recent history that people have discovered. The warming climate(which by the way is happening on mars also so there's another reason not to believe its mans cause), the earths magnetic field in a weakened state (which happens before pole reversals), the suns increase magnetic activity and solar flaring (which can wreck havoc on our power grid and electronics), the earths axis even gets wobbled over thousands of years possibly leading to further climate change(and can be affected by suns magnetics and gravity). But considering these things that could happen it would essentially be an end to the world as we know it now.

2. And 3. These points I will tackle together. Essentially the sun and our solar system will not either be affected by a galactic beam nor will the solar system be at the center of the galaxy. But the alignment of the sun from EARTHS POV will be viewed at the center of an opening between parts of the milky way galaxy. Now do I believe this will have any effect on the earth? No because I'm sure it's happened before and I'm sure other planets have already seen the sun this way from their POV. But the fact that the article failed to mention this is what the main theory is, irks me so I point it out and let you decide.
4. The planetary alignment theory.
This is also in part something I agree with. The effects on earth if all the planets were aligned is negligible and really since its not going to happen irrelevant. But it also talks about the magnetics of everything. The fact that the earths pole do flip flop (which is to say the your compass would point to our current south if this happened, not the earth flipping over) and the earths axis does wobble and these can all be affected by magnetics of the sun is a viable theory. For instance think of the earths magnetic field as a shield, when the earths shield is strong it deflects much more solar energy. But with the shield in a period of decreased strength (which is something that has occurred frequently throughout earths history, just as periods of increased strength) and the suns magnetic field or shield being increased in strength as well as increase solar flare activity (which has been shown to knock out the power grid occasionally in parts of the world) the fact that earths magnetics could be knocked or flipped over is a real possibility. Besides the fact that were due for a pole flip soon anyways. The idea that the sun couldn't have an effect on the earth is like saying that a human couldn't blow over an ant, ridiculous.

5 this point is just funny. Lol

Back
Top Bottom