Dirty Sand Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had this same problem. There are submersible uv sterilizers, should fit fine in 29g. But if your not into that, the gold head sleeper goby sifts through the sand and will fix the problem. $15 fish that may be my best buy to date

K, so it sounds like you are doing it all right. That is frustrating.

I upgraded my media basket. www.mediabaskets.com.

I use purgen and chemipro in the back with a poly pad in the top compartment. You can order that stuff on the same website.

Get a good clean up crew from reefcleaners.com

Keep us posted.

Ok I bought the new power head, phos pad, filter floss, and ordered a phosphate test kit since my LFS doesn't carry them in the store. I have another store that sells turbo snails since this one also didn't have any.

Heading back home now to put this stuff in. I'll keep you updated. Should I be rinsing the phos and floss before I put in?

Hooking up the power head.. So you just close the top of the tank right on the power cable?

I always rinse everything. You will need to play around with the powerhead and find the best place for it. I have mine up front blowing backwards. A lot of people have them blowing across..... No right or wrong. Just don't point it into the sand.

Thanks, I plan on moving the powerhead around. Just not sure how to have the cable coming out of the tank.. The lid doesn't close all the way now.

No matter where I aim it, it seems like its stirring so much stuff up in the tank..

Give it time To settle. That might be part of your issue, a lot of dead stuff In the tank.

On the back o the hood you will see half moon shapes. You need to take the hood off and use tin snips and cut a hole for the cord. I used a dremmal(sp?) to cut mine away. Then the hood will close all the way. Look at the tank, look at the far right base of the hood and you should see it.

Well Crystal A was the only person to suggest something and I've been trying to fix this algae issue for awhile now so I went out and bought it. I'm new to this hobby and trust what I read on here.

The 750 is fine. That's what is running in my tank. You will just have to find the sweet spot that's all. Your rocks are stacked high like in my tank so I would go left back facing the side towards the top. This way the water will circulate around your rocks and with it pointing up ad at the back glass you will have less stir up. The whole problem starts with not enough circulation this will give you plenty without having to get a second power head. Look at the pic I posted and see where mine is. Your rocks are set up quite simalar to mine.

Yupp I have looked at yours and placed mine in a similar spy except the right side because it's easier to plug it in over there. What setting should I have the original wave maker set to now that I also have the power head?

Does it matter if the powerhead is aimed up toward the overflow? Otherwise I feel like its going to hit my coral straight on.

Back
Top Bottom