Discus and Pistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody will get on you for that one Finn... My angelfish and rams are inactive around storms as well. My loaches on the other hand tend to be more active. And of course there's weather loaches... Different fish react differently

Read the link above and it will clear it up. And yeah I think rainforest storms would be pretty bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read it, I've read it before actually.. some of the best fishing can be done on wild weather and moon phases. My buddy caught a 6lb. Largemouth bass by moonlight at 3am.. wild! Anyways.. finding a quick scapegoat for the behavior of those discus may not be the best method in keeping.. when in doubt change it out! Water that is.. they won't mind;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read it, I've read it before actually.. some of the best fishing can be done on wild weather and moon phases. My buddy caught a 6lb. Largemouth bass by moonlight at 3am.. wild! Anyways.. finding a quick scapegoat for the behavior of those discus may not be the best method in keeping.. when in doubt change it out! Water that is.. they won't mind;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh that wasn't a scapegoat, that was just a possibility. I know there could be varying factors, sorry if it sounded like a scapegoat my bad. And that saying is awesome

Anyways back on track. For the discus tank, I plan on a school of 10 cardinal tetras but I may change it some other more peaceful, less active schooling fish (no gold barbs, way to active), opinions?

Not many fish can handle the warm temps. That's why Cardinals are often used in Discus tanks.
They are peaceful.

Corydoras sterbai are also good Discus tank mates. One of the only warmer water Cories.

864d99d8eee2d906f7359ced279405ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rummies handle the heat and school tighter then most.
They get larger then cards but still a relatively small tetra.
Not many other safe/appropriate choices...

I was thinking about those.

Not many fish can handle the warm temps. That's why Cardinals are often used in Discus tanks.
They are peaceful.

Corydoras sterbai are also good Discus tank mates. One of the only warmer water Cories.

864d99d8eee2d906f7359ced279405ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any types of micro rasbora that could handle the heat?

My red snakeskin discus hasn't been eating much the past few days and isn't looking good. He had never recovered from shipping either and is now looking really bad. I'm not sure if he'll make it

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but maybe it's time to take a step back and actually wonder if you're ready to keep these fish. I'd setup a qt pronto for further additions.

I'd also start doing larger wcs and test water quality everyday as well.

Or go about this a different way. Maybe switch the tank out to bare bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but maybe it's time to take a step back and actually wonder if you're ready to keep these fish. I'd setup a qt pronto for further additions.

I'd also start doing larger wcs and test water quality everyday as well.

I know why he didn't. He never recovered from shipping and has been pretty stressed and I thought 20g was the minimum for a discus quarantine from what I've looked up because of their size and requirements. He/she was also least dominant and ate very little, and only flake food but he only took intresting in the red flakes and I tried to feed them to him but it wasn't enough. And I've been thinking that too, if I lose the rest of them, which I will try my best not to than I'll take it down a few steps and possibly have some angels in the tank.

Next addition won't be for a while as I am trying to save money for the pisto tank. And than quarantine.

Max I could do a week day is 15 gallons bc of schoolwork but I can do 30 on the weekends. It's a 55 gallon tank.

Agree with bribo, it really should be time to step back and evaluate your goals. Discus are hyper-sensitive, if your schedule limits you that much then perhaps your energy would be better devoted elsewhere.

Trust me, I'm an experienced keeper and would love to keep discus but my 11 hour work days limit my feeding and water change availability, hence why I do not own them. I'm not suggesting you give up with them, but really assess if it's feasible for you to maintain them. Best wishes finn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I struggle with my reef tank. Like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk just trying to be realistic about everything

Agree with bribo, it really should be time to step back and evaluate your goals. Discus are hyper-sensitive, if your schedule limits you that much then perhaps your energy would be better devoted elsewhere.

Trust me, I'm an experienced keeper and would love to keep discus but my 11 hour work days limit my feeding and water change availability, hence why I do not own them. I'm not suggesting you give up with them, but really assess if it's feasible for you to maintain them. Best wishes finn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, I'll step out if these don't make it, but I will try my best to keep them alive and healthy. And yeah I won't give up on them completely, I will come back to them eventually

I struggle with my reef tank. Like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk just trying to be realistic about everything

I struggled with my reef tank as well (looked more like a sump) and I understand at this point you aren't being a jerk.

On a good note though, I came in from the snow to find my male pisto showing off for the female.

The male pisto has been showing off a lot and his colors are crazy awesome. Female on the other hand has taken no intrest in him yet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom