Discus Ideas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish4bass8 said:
Ok ...here's the tank that I want...any ideas or feelings just chime in!!!
Tank
75 gallon

Lighting
1bulb, 65000k, T8

Substrate
Tan pool filter sand or can I use like play sandbox sand?

Filters
2 penguin emperor 350B filters and prob an up to 80gallon hydro sponge filter

Plants
Lots of assorted plants unless I can get a ton of cool varieties cheap

Live sttock
I don't kno if I can do this but...
8 assorted discus
3-4 angelfish
10-20 schooling dither fish(neons? Cardinals?)
8 black kohli loaches
5-7 clown loaches
6-14 Cory cats

Would I have to have an air pump? Or water circulator?

No clown loaches as they get way too big

OBEYtheFISH said:
Going with looks you'll have to do about two 50% WC a week for healthy Discus

Most of the time I already do two 30-40% pwc's a week so the little extra won't be a problem!!

This is the way I look at it: if you specifically want to breed them, I would either have the tank for that purpose only or have a seperate tank for that purpose only. Either way, the tank you want them to breed in should be BB with minimal decor imo. And if you do have the seperate tank, you can do substrate, decor, other fish, etc.
I agree no clown loaches. Kuhli loaches are fine. I wouldn't do that many angels with that many discus either but that's just my opinion.

paytertot said:
This is the way I look at it: if you specifically want to breed them, I would either have the tank for that purpose only or have a seperate tank for that purpose only. Either way, the tank you want them to breed in should be BB with minimal decor imo. And if you do have the seperate tank, you can do substrate, decor, other fish, etc.
I agree no clown loaches. Kuhli loaches are fine. I wouldn't do that many angels with that many discus either but that's just my opinion.

I do have another tank I was planning on using that for breeding them. So...
Like 3 Angels r ok?? Because I've read that the discus r supposed to always be bigger than the angelfish! I will be buying the dither fish first then rite?? Then the discus....keep them for awhile till the discus get a little bigger.....then get the 3 angels!!!

Fish4bass8 said:
I do have another tank I was planning on using that for breeding them. So...
Like 3 Angels r ok?? Because I've read that the discus r supposed to always be bigger than the angelfish! I will be buying the dither fish first then rite?? Then the discus....keep them for awhile till the discus get a little bigger.....then get the 3 angels!!!

If you're going to breed then I'd only Discus BB on the 75 gallon
The 37 G only for one pair

OBEYtheFISH said:
If you're going to breed then I'd only Discus BB on the 75 gallon
The 37 G only for one pair

I agree, that's what I was getting at. Maybe you could do the tank with decor and other fish the way you want it, and then when you notice a couple of discus pair up, you could move them to a BB tank for breeding.

To me it sounds like you have to make a decision. Do you want to breed discus? Or do you want to have a community tank? I'm not saying you couldn't have both but everything I've researched about breeding is all about pristine water and quiet conditions. Both very difficult to maintain in a community setting.

Mlani said:
To me it sounds like you have to make a decision. Do you want to breed discus? Or do you want to have a community tank? I'm not saying you couldn't have both but everything I've researched about breeding is all about pristine water and quiet conditions. Both very difficult to maintain in a community setting.

I would like to have both. The 75 community and the 37 the breeding. And I've researched it too and I'm well aware of the water conditions.

Fish4bass8 said:
I would like to have both. The 75 community and the 37 the breeding. And I've researched it too and I'm well aware of the water conditions.

If you're going to use the 37 for breeding then you can only start off with the pair & that's about it
The 37 is a rather small tank for Discus

OBEYtheFISH said:
If you're going to use the 37 for breeding then you can only start off with the pair & that's about it
The 37 is a rather small tank for Discus

The 37 is sMall for breeding?? I've heard of ppl using 20 gallon longs for breeding!!

37 would be the minimum size for two discus :)
and it's actually a very good size for pairing and spawning

Actually I tend to say 10 gallons per discus but 37 is great. My discus are always laying eggs in the same spot, on a fake rock cave underneath the shade of my aponogeton crispus leaves. It's in front of my fluval so I would imagine there's a little bit more current over there but I don't know if that has any influence.

Fish4bass8 said:
The 37 is sMall for breeding?? I've h.eard of ppl using 20 gallon longs for breeding!!

I didn't say 37 was too small but you can't put a group of like 5 Discus(which is the recommended minimum size per group) & try to get a pair from there

You'll put a full grown Discus in a 10 gallon? Lol jk
Like I said minimum group of 5 Discus in a minimum of 60 gallons

Well they said the plan on making the 75 the community and picking from THERE lol
I have a 55 with 7 discus plus several other fish haha Not that that's normal just a fact lol.

paytertot said:
Well they said the plan on making the 75 the community and picking from THERE lol
I have a 55 with 7 discus plus several other fish haha Not that that's normal just a fact lol.

I know :p @justsayin

What's your PWC schedule?

Back
Top Bottom